Home Psychology of Singing

Throat Singing

How to Get rid of throat singing? everytime i try to do a scale that ken tamplin are saying on youtube, My voice keeps on cracking, even though im practicing diaphragmatic breathing, my voice keeps on cracking like it was coming from the throat, Can somebody helps me or gives a an additional excercises todo to strengthen my support, or get rid of throat singing? Thank you And Godbless

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited March 2019
    @andrew_walker hi, which scales are you doing on youtube? how long have you been doing it?

possible reason for cracking: maybe you need to reduce the volume of the exercise?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @andrew_walker,

Ken has an amazing number of free videos on Youtube and they are golden information. For beginners I often recommend these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz2y9N5Sw8U

They are really great. And as Klaus mentioned, do them not to loud at the beginning. My personal problem was that I was singing way too loud at the beginning because I was so proud that I was able to sing. The last months I really had to learn to gain control and to tame my voice.

Probably Klaus is right. If you want you can post a video demo and we will try to help you.

Doc
  • andrew_walkerandrew_walker Member Posts: 32
    ive been singing through my throat for almost 3 years
    does you need to push in the stomach everytime you do a scale?
    @andrew_walker you will have to experiment with the sensation yourself a little bit, it took me a few months to start to being able to figure it out. the problem is, it is a combination of things that need to be done correctly, and they are not so easy to describe. what I am trying to say: work with different amounts of pressure while doing the scales, so you can figure out what makes them easier and what doesn't help.

for example, even when it is not what Ken says or shows, I thought for a while that the stomach moves in and back out while you go through the scales. i thought that because doing it like that, the scales sounded better. I knew it wasn't correct. but I kept doing it, experimenting on how it felt.i knew I needed to figure out something else. and then, suddenly, i could discard this "crutch", because I had figured something out that was more looking like what Ken does. so it really is a lot of experimentation. i personally like the challenge (at this point in time), but it can be hard at times to motivate yourself for this sort of stuff.

if you work constantly, you'll see results

@Klaus_T all the time i keep on figuring whats right and whats wrong, i also did the sit up while doing a scale because it figures how much pressure you need to put while doing a scale, but nothing happens it just keep on giving me more tension
    i know, it's hard! maybe try to read as many "support" threads you can on this forum, I read tons before I even knew where to really start. it is a tricky subject for sure. feel free to ask anything. we can help you but unfortunately not with everything.

the best start is to not let it get you down and keep looking for the right feeling
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @andrew_walker if you bought the course you should become a member of the students area so that we can provide more detailed feedback for you. You can go here to do that.
    @HuduVudu unfortunately i dont have the money to buy, but i want to sing, really, i really want to be a professional singer someday, to do that with my current status i need to work extra hard, watch youtube tutorials, then luckily i found KTVA.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Awesome keep at it then.
  • endrits079endrits079 Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2019

@HuduVudu unfortunately i dont have the money to buy, but i want to sing, really, i really want to be a professional singer someday, to do that with my current status i need to work extra hard, watch youtube tutorials, then luckily i found KTVA.

yes we are the same , I also was looking for tutorials on youtube and I found KTVA and I am practicing for like 1.5 years my voice has grown stronger and my singing has improved but not what I want , also I can see I have trouble with diaphragmatic support, I really really wonder how can I achieve it , but I am not giving up and I hope I will figure it out before I screw up my voice , good luck to you aswell whats keeping me up its Bryan Adams I love his music so much that I wanna be able to sing his songs thats why I am not giving up
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @andrew_walker, Hi @endrits079,

if you can not afford the course I could really recommend to you to watch each of Ken's free videos (the live streams are golden information). And, do Ken's free exercises on a regular basis. You voice WILL grow. We have here a young guy ( @Diego ) who did the free stuff a was posting songs regularly. He became very good over time. Listen what he posted recently (after being 3 months on the course and doing Ken's free videos for several years!!!):

Doc

@endrits079 THanks for the encouragement, Wow @doc_ramadani he became a really good singer, maybe giving up is not an option if you really want to be one ( A Great Singer) THanks for the encouragement Godbless
    Hey @doc_ramadani After Practicing everyday, i think i just get it, is it the term of holding down the breath and then you are putting some pressure on your diagphragm as you sing? and then as you go up, the tension are starting to go from the chest and then the neck and the throat?? but the weird thing is my voice gets bigger a little bit, but i can sing as high as c5, weird right?
    @andrew_walker to me it sounds like you are on the right track now
    edited March 2019
    really mr @Klaus_T ?? but do you think its normal that my voice gets bigger and the sound is round? but before my voice is really thin as in thin like girl sound a little bit, but when i practice every single day suddenly when i wake up my voice became bigger, do you still think this is normal? do you think this is my real sound? my real voice? or my voice is thin because of throaty sound? do you think thats the reason? the pitchy sound thats it?
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    If you feel tension that rises from chest to your throat. It probably means you have a really high larynx position that is choking you out.

I am assuming you mean a C5 in chest. If so please upload a sample of how you are singing these notes (preferably in video) so we can determine the cause of your '' throaty'' singing.
    When you sing the notes. Do you feel like your notes are more free and better supported than before? Do you feel any sort of discomfort? What is your posture. Are you closing the vowel too much?
    mr @Diego i feel comfortable this time when i sing the notes, i dont know if i close the vowel HAHA
    Whenyou are ainging a note. Are you going to a bright AH sound. Or are you going to a darker sound?

Can you upload a demonstration of what you are doing?
    edited March 2019
    @andrew_walker you said: "and then as you go up, the tension are starting to go from the chest and then the neck and the throat??" i understood this to mean: the tension goes away. now, re-reading, I think you mean the tension travels up from your chest to your throat? if there is tension, then that's not good. please let me know which of the two you meant. and @Diego is right, a demo would be the best way to know for sure.
    umm mr @Klaus_T the tension is starting to build from the chest then go up to the throat,
    @andrew_walker ok got it. yeah tension is not good in this area. i remember having a similar feeling a few months ago (I started the course in Nov 2018). in the beginning it seemed to be correct because some stuff did work better with it, the only problem was that when coming down in the scales, the sensation did not come back down, and that's how I knew it wasn't right. it took me a while to get past this point, and I can't really even tell you how it disappeared. if you keep going, you will be able to work it out. what always helps for me is to go to extremes with what Ken says (if he says "relax", relax as much as you think is enough, and then see if you can relax even more). what I noticed so far: some sensations come and go, and you discover some stuff sometimes that seems to be a leap forward. you use it for a while, and then maybe you find a better way later. it is never static. it really is a journey. once you start it, you will discover new things. you seem to patient and motivated, if you keep at it, you will work through it. you can always post samples, then we can try to figure out what is going on there
    thanks MR @Klaus_T but where can i post my samples?
    @andrew_walker you can upload them on soundcloud, youtube, or one of the other platforms that do free sound hosting. then you can post a link in a new thread (or in this thread if it is related). you click on the "chain" icon in the comment editor (next to the smiley icon) and paste the link into the little box
    Hey Mr @Klaus_T @highmtn @doc_ramadani @Diego Heres my Demo, Sorry if its a bit late, Because im So busy from the last months For My Graduation, Finally I Got The time to do so

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OvfKY8ul1Os