Home The Singer's Lobby

Help Me Learn How to Sing Bohemian Rhapsody <3

ONICONIC Member Posts: 61
Hey guys, I am a beginner baritone trying to learn how to sing Bohemian Rhapsody. A very daunting tasks. I specifically want to sing it the way Freddie does in Montreal 1981 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dbGGvsjf8. I really like the way he sings "Life had just begun" at 0:22. I believe he hits A4 in chest voice but could be wrong. I can hit an A4 inconsistently, but I think I might be using Mixed Voice even though I am trying to hit it in chest voice. If I am hitting it with chest voice, I don't have that grit that Freddie gets. It's almost like he is yelling but at the same time isn't. It also sounds lower than the note actually is. My sound is a lot more pointy and just not as powerful. What I do to hit the A4 is I take a nice deep breath from the diaphragm and lower my larynx as much as I can. Are there any other tips on how to sing the way Freddie does at 0:22?

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited April 2019
    I see, you like the macho Freddie style more haha.

He sang it this way probably because of his nodules and his ability to use his falsetto/headvoice in a controlled fashioned, so he probably relied heavily on his chest/mix.

For the word "Just" he starts off on UH and then makes his way into more of AW like in Loft. It's almost like he's saying Jaw. "LAHF hAH JUHAWWWWst begun". It is a little closed because of the grit he is using. I don't know if the grit Freddie is using here is safe or not @Gaston_Jauregui maybe you can help me with this.

• ONICONIC Member Posts: 61
    Haha, I do like the macho Freddie style more. Oh and he was a baritone right?
    He most definitely was a baritone. Which I believe myself to be too in a way.
    Because he didn't have such and easy time with high chest notes as much as other artists that are considered tenors such as Michael Jackson, Bon Jovi, the list goes on and on...
    He did pretty well in the lower register as well, going down to F2 or so.
  • ONICONIC Member Posts: 61
    So it is possible for a baritone to hit those tenor notes in chest voice. That is very reassuring. Of course Freddie was a legend so by no means does that mean I will be able to, but I know it is probably crazy but my goal is to hit c5 in chest voice with the same kind of grit he uses.
    In KTVA we don't have such things as "limits". We train everyday so we can expand our range and make our voices powerful! Grit will come later in the course though, because it's an expansive and very delicate subject.

I've been training for 4-6 years now. Non stop. And I can probably do a C5 in chest on a good day.
    Freddie Mercury's grit is something I love but only try to replicate by feel not technique. I have not reached volume 3 yet so I should probably not do that type of grit, yet, since I don't want to end up with nodules at a young age.