Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

When I Was Your Man Cover

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Diego,

wow, pretty good job on this very challenging song. Sometimes (e.g. 1:00) you are a tiny bit to hectic with the timing. But this is really nit-picking.

Great, man. You will own this one soon. If you would have a camera I would ask you to do a "one take" for us. :smile:

Doc
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @doc_ramadani Thanks man!
    I only need the Memory card and I would be set.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Diego

That was awesome, have tried this song and it’s quite difficult. That’s definitely gold standard, the high note at 2.40 amazing and I do agree with the Doc slight deviation in the timing but a minor detail.

Overall brilliant rendition this song suits your voice as well

Vocality
  • andrew_walkerandrew_walker Member Posts: 32
    WoW Mr @Diego What an Amazing Cover, But its sound a little bit squeezed than bruno, but i think you can improve that, Thanks for Letting me here it Mr @Diego, I WIll practice Much More so that i can Also Do THis Song.
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Man! That was cool!
    As a listener I can say I heard a lot of emotion coming out from your voice and that is all it is about when we talk about singing.

As singer I heard that you were a bit flat from time to time on some high note of this song, but very rarely.
    For the main part you were just great
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Nice work @Diego . I really enjoyed the performance. One thing i noticed pondering is that do you have a rasp-like sound naturally on your voice, or did you record the vocal too loud and caused some distortion?
  • ONICONIC Member Posts: 61
    Wow, your voice really shines in this song. I think this is my favorite performance you have given. I would like to hear more bruno mars from you. Keep up the great work!
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @Diego Fantastic Cover! Really loved your voice in this one. It sounds like this is in the original key too, I've only ever tried to sing it in a lower key. What is that high note? A C5? How high can you go? I think I remember hearing you sing Take me On by A-Ha right so I know you can hit at E5 but can you go higher? F5 is the highest note I've ever been able to vocalize.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @Diego very cool, lots of interesting tones in there, very impressive. great job
    @blondiewales Thanks man! I do have a smartphone, but it delays all of the audio.
    I need to practice those runs! lol. They're one of the main events in mainstream pop music lol.
    @Vocality Thanks George!
    I had fun doing this one! The C5 was not so good for me because, I felt I could've done it a little cleaner. I had a rough voice after. And I need to work on a smoother tone.
    @andrew_walker Glad you enjoyed it Andrew!
    It was a little more squeezed than bruno, It's really close to where my voice starts going loud. Probably some vowel decisions got the best of me. Could've been softer, and need to work on that tone.
    @Claude77 Thanks. This is a really easy song to pour out some emotion into! But not at all to vocalize lol.
    I really failed at getting the soft tone Bruno uses, so I have to work on that.

@DogMeat The rasp was intentionally done on some parts, others not so much. My voice was just tired that day, and it was the last drop I had in me lol. Glad you enjoyed the performace!

@ONIC Thank you!
    I will probably do more Bruno songs in the future. I'm planning on doing some Queen again pretty soon. I'm also looking forward to doing many more singers and bands.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @Diego it sounds like you're trying really hard to sound like Bruno. I can hear in parts where your timbre does get very close to his. I only say this because I'm not sure if you have tried singing in your voice rather than trying to sing in his? I suffer from this real bad. I have a hard time finding MY voice because I've spent 30 years of my life just singing along to songs and trying to imitate with no instruction. I guess I learned some stuff through a lot of trial and error over the years but I still can't shake this and find my OWN voice ;(. All of my covers I'm trying to sound as close to the original singer and it frustrates me that I can't just find my own way of singing it.

But my dude this performance is amazing, you should 100% keep at it and someday I'll be buying your tracks :P
  • Moviefan2k4Moviefan2k4 Member Posts: 19
    I've never heard that song before, but you did a good job with it. I could tell you put your heart into it, which is usually a good thing with musicians.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    I'll be buying your tracks :tongue:

Me too!