Home Off Topic

Regarding the singing in Les Miserablés

ZerathiosZerathios Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
Hi, have anyone of you guys seen the film adaption of Les Miserablés? I couldn't stop being annoyed at the way that the guy playing Marius (Eddie Redmayne) was singing! To me he kept sounding like Kermit the frog while singing. Probably as a result of having a raised adams apple to reach higher notes? Is anyone of you hearing this too?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LaIsBf1Ovg

Not my favorite sound.  A high larynx is often described as froggy, and Kermit-like. 

Doesn't sound like he's heard of KTVA.  No support, no power.

Maybe a graduate of the other guys (who shall remain nameless).

Bob

• glennarNglennarN Enrolled Posts: 33
    edited February 2013
    @Zerathios: You are definately not alone hearing this. Practically everyone I saw it with reacted the same way, I was very disappointed because "Empty chairs..." is probably my favorite piece of the entire show. Overall I felt like the movie was a pretty uneven experience, partially brilliant, partially not so good much thanks to Marius and adult Cosette (whom I've never ever really liked in any production, she seems to always be this bird-tweety soprano voice that I've never been fond of) but I was satisfied overall regardless. 
  • ZerathiosZerathios Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Yes, that song in particular! I had to stop myself from laughing when he started singing it :D

I think Amanda Seyfrieds vocals suited the character pretty good actually, but I guess her voice can become kinda tiresome in the long-term. I don't really like musicals so I'm pretty biased on judging this film. It had some moments though.