Home Welcome

Vocal Note Query

SingManSingMan Member Posts: 2

Nice to find a vocal forum and hope to get to know you all.

I want to know whats the best way to approach vocally a high not at end of phrase? I mean, I have experimented with holding my breathe and slowing releasing it and it seems a lot easier and I can control the note better, and also by taking a deep breathe and just hitting the note, but in this case I feel it kind of hits the high note in more of an attack fashion and with less control on my behalf. I have attached a link - https://file.io/hpUBt5 - to a short 7 second audio sample to help explain more precisely what I am talking about? Look forward to hearing your feedback and thank you in advance. SingMan

Comments

• sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Hi @SingMan I'm getting a 404 on your link, can you try reposting?
  • sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Hi @SingMan , your question is a bit vague so I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. For one thing, you haven't described what it is about the sample clip that you're not happy with. If you can elaborate on that you might get a more tailored response from one of the more experienced members.

Generically speaking (and I'm a newb so take this with a grain of salt), breath management in terms of where and how to inhale is less relevant to this question than your quality of diaphragmatic support. If you build a really strong support mechanism you can sing long phrases much more easily - including ones ending in a high note. If you're getting low on air other things to consider are cord closure and compression - improving both of these will allow you to produce just as much sound (or more!) with far less air.

My ear is not very well trained yet, but in your recording I think I hear another issue that's not really about air. The first few notes are comfortably in your chest range and have some body to them. The final note sounds strained and thin. There are many mechanisms from open throat to vowel mods to vocal placement that will help you to build resonance on that note without straining.

Singing is a very holistic process. Until I started the course I had no idea how complex it really is. So if you work on building up all your fundamental skills you'll find you can navigate melodies such as this much more easily, and you'll find there's no single technique to solve a given problem.