Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Constant mucus on nostrils

Soul_MateSoul_Mate 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 47
Hi! I have an ongoing problem with some mucus on one of my nostrils. Since i remember at least one of my nostrils is always clogged by mucus which causes mucus on my throat. How much does mucus on the nostrils affects our singing and how can we get rid of that issue? I love singing but i think i sound terrible because of it, thinking about uploading a demo singing something to demonstrate but idk

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    The mucus in your nostril is going to be a problem. I can guarantee it isn't the only problem that you have that is causing you problems with singing, but it is going to to cause some grief. You are going to need to work with a medical professional to determine the root cause of the mucus and I am pretty sure there will be a range of issues that could be possible problems.

I don't think that you need to stop practicing because of this and you can just work around it in your practices. Doing this will ensure that when you get the issue with the mucus worked out you will be on a good path already with your practicing and ultimately your singing. Let me emphasize that this should not stop you, it is just a speed bump on your path forward.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Have you tried a Neti Pot? I use one and it works wonderfully! Also staying well hydrated will thin your mucus making it easier to manage.
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Adjusting your diet can really help getting less mucus and colds.
  • Soul_MateSoul_Mate 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 47
    Got it guys, I have to admit that my diet is pretty bad; I have to work on that but I am willing to so no problem on that part, I just need to know what diet to follow. I haven´t tried a neti pot yet may be i will but I don´t know how to do it. And yes i should seek for professional help to identify the cause i really dont want to stop because of this. Do you guys know any diet that I can follow in the meantime? and Thanks so much for the answers
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Food allergy tests can be really helpful. I have found that I am allergic to citric acid and once I removed that from my diet many things changed for me for the better.
    Wow ok I will have to do one because I have no idea on what im allergic to since I dont have severe side effects. I was thinking on uploading here a little bit of a song that i recorder for the first time yesterday to see what you guys think but it was raining so the rain can be heard on the recording
    Less sugar and wheat can help a lot. More vegetables😀
    Hahaha i honestly hate them but anything to become a better singer
    haha, yeah. I forgot Milk and yoghurt, they are the most mucus inducing.
    oh ok got it. Thanks guys!
  • natmusic27natmusic27 2.0 PRO Posts: 145
    Hi guys! I have lots of mucus too 24/7 despite what I eat/how I feel/where I am/which season... The only thing that I saw having an impact is eating icecream or sugar in general makes my throat sink in mucus...
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Some tips from someone who also deals with a lot of mucus:

1. Buy and use a neti pot
    2. Avoid dairy products
    3. Drink lots of water and avoid anything that dehydrates (caffeine & alcohol)
    4. If you have allergies get it treated but be aware the effects antihistamines can have on your voice.
    5. Gargling salt water is known to loosen mucus
    6. Saline nose sprays are wonderful
    7. Keep your air moist and humid, use a humidifier and take steamy showers.
    8. Avoid smoking and other irritants like chemicals and fragrances.
    9. Buy and use a neti pot

Nice list, thanks!