Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Just wanted to post to let people know what has been going on with me ...

HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
I have waited to post this because I have been dealing with a lot of stupid from the medical system, and I wanted to be sure before I made public what is up. I haven't really said anything about this but I have struggled to get my singing online and have been lingering in Volume 1 for quite some time. During that time I have really had to push to get my practices in and to deal with soreness in my throat. I know the soreness that I have been experiencing is not normal and I have been struggling to find a solution. I worked very hard in the beginning thinking that I was singing incorrectly that was causing it, but as time wore on I have come to understand that this is not the case. I also thought that this was a form of muscle fatigue. Once again as time wore on I came to understand that it is not true. This February I had a what I term as an "episode". I can't really explain what it is but I get knocked flat with fatigue and am unable to really function. My sleep cycle goes to near 18 hours a day and when I am awake I feel drugged out and unable to focus or function. This has dragged on for quite some time and only now am I starting to gain some energy back. LOL now I am going back to my "normal" sleep cycle of 12 to 13 hours a day. Needless to say this bout was particularly bad for me. I have become so fed up with this condition I vowed come hell or high water I am going to get the problem fixed. So once again I entered the medical system to find a solution. Through mostly luck I have finally come to an answer. If you think of the scene in Harry Potter with the luck potion you will understand the feeling of what happened. :)

This condition has been with me from childhood, so it isn't new. There is a silver lining to my diagnosis, I will give that, but first ....... ::drum roll:: .... I have asthma. All of these years, my gawd all of these years and this was the problem the whole time. I am mostly just pissed. I know it could be worse, but this stupid stupid stupid thing has robbed me of the prime of my life and I can't get that back. Thankfully though I now know what it is and I have a path to fix it. The silver lining is this. Allergy understanding has come a long way, so it is very possible for me to rid myself of the asthma forever. The next step for me is the allergen battery of tests and then a determination of shots. I will do the shots no matter what if that option is available to me. If I can do the shots then in 6ish months my symptoms should alleviate and I will be on maintenance dosages for another 3 to 5 years. A small price to pay to gain back my life.

On my singing. My throat has gotten to the point where I can't sing without pain. The ENT that I went to has diagnosed laryngitis. He thought it was from acid reflux, it is not, it is from whatever allergic reaction I am having. So until that reaction is abated, singing is out for me :( I am moving forward as fast as I can to try to solve this problem because I desperately want to get back to my singing, but it can only go as fast as it can go. I have decided in the mean time to try to get my ear pitch to perfection and work heavily on my timing so I can at least have those when I come back. Time will tell.

So there it is, now you are guys are up to speed on my personal drama. :wink::blush:

Comments

• @HuduVudu I was reading about asthma recently and how much the effects can be underestimated. I completely empathise with the feeling of losing so much of the prime of your life to something so stupidly fixable if it had been diagnosed earlier. I hope it helps to imagine your new future, with a new prime of your life, where you will be able to achieve so much out of having a healthy life available to you and sheer determination to not lose anymore. I'm wishing you all the best that this testing stage goes quickly and smoothly.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @HuduVudu you’ve been a great help to me since joining the forum and sincerely hope you get Sorted to the point you can get back to singing. I don’t know much about the issues your having other than good luck with going forward with your treatment.

George
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hey mate, it's great that the issue has been pinpointed, it's all going to be down hill soon! I can't believe how much time you spend in the forum's when you were so run down and needed all that sleep. Big props to you, I'm sure you are excited to finally be on a recovery track.🤗
  • SlavicbeardSlavicbeard 2.0 PRO Posts: 36
    Very moving story. I put all my trust in your willpower to rise again like a phoenix, only to be reborn much stronger than before. On to a splendid new life, my friend! :-)
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Thank you all for the very kind words :blush:
  • sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Hi Shane, thank you for sharing this with us! I'm sorry, health issues can be so difficult at the best of times, and having ambiguity can pile on layers of frustration and confusion. Sending you my best thoughts for quick access to the shots and any other treatment you need so you can put this chapter behind you.
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for sharing, Shane. What a drag. I deal with allergies myself, but nothing like what you've been dealing with. Yikes! I'm really glad to hear that you are finally on a good path to resolve those issues.

Thanks for all your volunteer time on the forums! Your time and comments are invaluable and in my view, are huge reason this community is successful (not taking anything away from anyone else who contributes, of course). Knowing that much or all of those contributions have come during your health issues says a lot of good about you.

Yeah, I know you're not looking for sympathy or these types of comments, but we're giving them anyway. ;)

Good health to you!

Chris
    Thank you @sagemacg and @cwcw for you kind words. :blush::smile:
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Dear Buddy, @HuduVudu

from a doctor's view I would say "Thank God!" - from a patients' view I hear always "Why me?".

I know your Odysee (I have been a small part oft it ) and really hope that a correct treatment will help you to be able to sing again. You helped me a lot on my own journey and I am very thankful to have such an careful observer with you. Shane, all my best wishes to you.

Marco
    Thank you Doc! :)
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Diagnose is a good start, and hopefully you'll find the reason to your asthma. Get well soon @HuduVudu
  • SinaSina 2.0 PRO Posts: 67
    Hi @HuduVudu....as well as many members of the forum and I am with you ... God bless you!
    Thank you @DogMeat and @Sina I appreciate it :)
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for sharing @HuduVudu

I may not be on the forum as much anymore, but it's good to hear from you. Of course, i hope you will be able to overcome all this. Health issues can kick you down, but you seem to keep pushing forward. There is only forward, and i am glad you are going about this with such a positive attitude. That attitude will keep you going.

Like you said, work on other musical things such as timing, there are many ways to improve as a musician.

Hope you find the root of the issue! I can imagine you want to get back to singing ASAP.

All the best,

Ben
  • WendyJaneWendyJane 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    Hi Shane, @HuduVudu , sorry you're having to go through these health problems, it must be so frustrating. I admire the way you're putting the enforced non-singing days to your future benefit by working on timing etc.
    As I browse the forums you are so generous with your time offering advice and guidance to us all, thank you :)
    I hope you're back enjoying painfree singing in the not too distant future. Best wishes, Wendy.
    Thank you @bentk and @WendyJane for the kind comments.
    edited July 2019
    Just as a follow up I am now on phase 2 of this whole thing and that is identifying the allergens. Seems as though I am allergic to the outdoors :neutral: All grasses and a huge percentage of trees (in this area) cause me a small amount of trouble :wink:

I am in for additional follow up tests in a week to clarify a few allergens. Next step is to make the allergen cocktail that I will then get injected regularly in increasing doses until I reach what is termed as therapeutic dose. If all goes well I should see a ton of relief in six months or so. Because I don't work I am going to try to speed up the process a bit by going in more regularly, but because the allergies are severe the doctor is worried about anaphylaxes so I may have to cool my jets. Either way at least I have a path.

Shane
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @HuduVudu

Hi Shane watch a program on TV a while ago about the very treatment your going through, with you every step and hope to see good progress with the best outcome.

:) George

edited July 2019
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hay fever and bloody noses is the worst I get during spring and summer, I felt sorry for my self until seeing that picture! My Frenchie had to get the same thing and has monthly desensatisation injections. Definately not something to rush, good vibes to you man😎
    I am happy that you now have some clarity on the cause, that goes a long way. It's tough, seeing the severity of your case. I had to learn about allergies during my masters degree, and they are no joke. Your doctor seems well informed and is taking care of you.

As wigs mentioned hay fever, hay fever is pretty common, but you can be allergic to different types of trees etc. I always have the idea that it's a particular type of tree each years that gets my nose running.

I really hope you can find some relief man, i wish you all the best, and thanks for the update. It's good to hear from you.

All the best,

Ben
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Yikes! Those are some serious allergies. I've never seen anything like that - ever. :)

Glad to hear you're started on the path to wellness. Wishing you the best.

Chris
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    OMG, holy crap, Shane. You are nearly reacting to everything. No wonder that you ran into these problems. To be honest, in my personal career I haven't seen such a heavy reaction to so many allergens.

Doc
  • sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    Wow, Shane! What a tough path! FWIW my sister did the injections for her allergies and it helped tremendously. Fingers crossed!
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    That's harsh dude hope your healing regiment works out nicely for you. May I ask do you play an instrument, too, as well as sing? That could help keep the musicality and enjoyment up while healing. I had to stop singing songs in this training, because my technique without the course was limiting me long-term and have to steel myself not to do that for a while, my guitar and piano has helped me out and can let loose on those.
    @samw2019 no I don't play another instrument :(

I tried guitar some time ago but found that I could not keep myself to any kind of practice regimen. I am still thinking about music and listening to you guys here keeps me interested and my ear keen. Thank you for the sentiment.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited July 2019
    hi Shane, wow, that's a mean allergy for sure! good that you finally figured it out!

i am allergic to some grasses and trees, and I found my symptoms have gotten so much better in the recent years. i know it is not such an intense case as your's, but maybe you want to look into what I believe made it so much better for me:

-TCM traditional chinese medicine: I went there once, and the doctor asked me about the symptoms, and composed a special tea for me (from around 20-30 different roots/herbs). drinking it, there is an immediately noticeable before/after effect. I highly recommend trying this

-avoid alcohol; apparently it makes inflammatory reactions more severe

-eat organic food

-pineapple juice makes the symptoms more bearable, so does turmeric. I used to carry a spice shaker with me and have a little "hit" every now and then. you can also mix the two into a drink.

I also noticed that I had allergic reactions to apples and cherries during the "bad" season, which I am fine eating outside of spring/summer, but now avoid in the hayfever season (keyword: cross allergy). there are lots of unexpected relationships.

hope you can improve the situation, and all the best for you!!!
    Hey @Klaus_T

If the shots don't go anywhere I will be looking into other options for sure :)

So I haven't really talked about my diet. ROFL it is pretty hilarious. I am allergic to citric acid. You would be absolutely shocked at what you are left with to eat. In fact my diet is more restricted than my wife's and she is Celiac.

I have been trying to solve this for years and even trying to get a bead on what is the actual problem has been no easy task. I am very thankful for the diagnosis finally.

Thank you for providing possible options for me, I really appreciate it <3
    Do you develop an immune response to citric acid? Seems bizar to me. I can see how that restricts your diet a lot, it is found in so many foods and products.

Allergies are tricky, and not well understood. Previously mentioned foods such as turmeric are outed as very healthy (and it indeed IS good for you), but i have no idea if it will help allergic reactions at all.

I hope the shots work as well as they possibly can for you.

All the best,

Ben
    @bentk quick clarification there are two things that we call the same thing. There is a sensitivity and there is an allergy. A sensitivity triggers our IgG immune cells to respond, an allergy causes the IgE immune cells to respond. An IgE immune response is what can cause anaphylactic shock. Think bee stings or peanuts. To find out more about how each immune response works a quick google search will show the difference. What you see on my back in the picture is an IgE response. My food sensitivities (allergies) are IgG. Sensitivities are less obvious and don't always cause easily identifiable symptoms. They are also tested for differently. I have done a partial IgG blood test to verify some of my sensitivities that I have found on my own.

I have had a bunch of digestive problems, and I have struggled to understand their causes. I found an amazing article on the internet about citric acid allergy. I knew already that the big citrus players caused a ton of grief for me so when I read this article I was shocked to find how many things contain citric acid. I used this article as a guide and removed citrus from my diet. The digestive problems, and a few other weird problems went away. I thought I had the answer to my fatigue issues but alas that was to come later in the asthma discovery.

To finally answer your question about whether or not food sensitivities go away. The answer is not likely. Sensitives can come and go throughout your life but little is know about their cause and there is no known "cure". Most solutions for sensitivities involve band-aiding over the symptoms. Prilosec is one such band-aid. The problem with these band-aids is that they bring their own set of problems. This sets you up for a circular firing squad. I am very careful if something doesn't work to reinstate the way that I was previously doing things so that I can get a stable baseline. It is very trial and error type of discovery.

Hopefully this didn't bore you into unconsciousness :tongue:

Shane
    edited July 2019
    This is why i was asking, as there are different responses possible. I thought it would be unlikely to cause anaphylactic shock.

And no, the sensitivity will probably not go away, but severity may vary. Curing such reactions seems almost impossible as of now. Some allergies also decrease in severity as you age, for example.

Thanks for your expansive reaction :)