Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Audioslave cover Be Yourself

Hi, I have made this cover together with a friend of mine. He plays the bass and I play the guitar parts and mixed the rest of the (midi) instruments and the vocals of course.
It's quite different then the original so I hope you like this version.
Please let me know what you think it and of course of the vocals....., to cover Chris Cornell is quite a bit of a challenge...

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Nice work on the guitar and the mix. The sound is very smooth and polished. On your vocals it seems like you were mixing in the lower parts and not using full chest. I am not sure why you did this but I think it would have sounded better if you were using full chest to get the harmonics. The harmonics create a nice counter effect with the guitar that is really cool in the original. You were also using effects on your vocals. Once again not sure of the reason for it, but it made your vocal sound really muddy and I think with a solid chest and clean vocal line you would have had something really compelling.

For what it's worth :)
  • MaartenMaarten 2.0 PRO Posts: 36
    thanks @HuduVudu I tried the vocals with less effects but I liked them more like this. Maybe because it's my own voice and it is said most people don't like their own voice a lot or has to get use of it. (in my first version I had way more effects by the way but removed them later again). What do you exactly mean with mixing in the lower parts. Do you mean I have use more open throat or more volume?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited July 2019
    Hello @Maarten,

I can hear that you doubled the lead vocals. I would not pan the doubles 100% LR. It makes the imperfections of the doubles very obvious. Have you tried to pan them not too hard?

Doc
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Maarten, when I say mix I mean mixed voice. Mixed voice is the mix between chest and head voice. It is used in songs to achieve particular tones that the artist wants. For males chest voice is the predominate voice and for females head voice is the predominate voice. Good singers learn to mix the two voices together to achieve the tones they are looking for.
  • MaartenMaarten 2.0 PRO Posts: 36
    @HuduVudu I'm still working on that. For over a year I try to practise almost every day the exercizes now so one day I will master it. I'm at the point now that it starts feeling different when I sing but yes I still have a long way to go.
    @doc_ramadani thanks! I will correct them in the final mix for youtube. They do indeed sound better less extreem panned and they do fit better in the mix like this. Thanks for the tip!