Home Off Topic

Timing

LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
Does anyone have tips to improve OFF TIMING issues? The band I joined uses backtracking music and it can be disastrous when I (front singer) either don't come in on the right spot, or come in too early. I practice with the tracks when I'm home, but then when we are performing out, some how I keep missing the cues, even after doing it correctly at home. they just sound different! I do own a metronome, but there are songs that change rhythm at the intro or bridges so a straightforward beat isn't always consistent. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    It may seem crazy but this game has dramatically improved my timing:
    https://osu.ppy.sh/home/download

You need to spend some time everyday on it but your timing will get better. :)
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited July 2019
    Hi @Lina,

do your band mates to a click track, too? - Maybe it would be helpful if you could hear it to. It would also be possible with spoken hints ("bridge, 2, 3 4", "Chorus, 2, 3, 4", ...) as an own track for you.

My 2 cents,

Doc
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Counting and hearing the chord changes are always very important for this. Some things go natural, other things don't, and require counting. At least for the important areas where timing is the issue. Constantly counting is not needed, but do practice counting.

If you play an instrument, try to play the chords and basic rhythmic structure of the song, and sing along. Find out areas where you might be less 'sure' where you have to start, and work on those areas. You want to always do it right, so you basically practice it until you can't get it wrong.

Not much of advice, but couldn't come up with much more right now. These musical concepts simply take time to develop, but you need to know how to develop it. Concentrate and practice on the 'weak' points, it will pay off.

All the best,

Ben
  • LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    Thanks, Ben. While my vocals have improved by leaps and bounds, my timing seems to be the current achilles heel!