Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Fairly new to KTVA (would appreciate feedback!)

Hi, I'm relatively new to KTVA and been practicing for ~3 months now. I'm on Volume 2, but still haven't watched all videos since I like singing more than watching videos lol.

I guess maybe that's why I kinda hit a plateau... or at least I think I did. I feel like the first month I've been making insane progress, and now it kinda slowed down and that bothers me.

Here are some of my latest recordings:
https://instaud.io/3NkL?fbclid=IwAR2D_lJq96DzTmTFyJBV1IxGbtlRYK_tWitGjwnTh1bzsWTzDVpqSshSIf8
https://instaud.io/3Tic?fbclid=IwAR3X9MdvEvmYdJyRBfWa_LPH7pLnhGSWnM7VvoSEt4rjuHtuQVFGkOxevEk
https://instaud.io/3XMS?fbclid=IwAR34hoapWj5JRnRXglkapwEOWIR21kFuzkUDa29rQKSJrqW5KlO37tzDobQ (maybe worst of these 3)

I generally love singing classic rock, but this is where it's tricky... Songs are hard, and sometimes I fear that my voice might simply not be the "right type" for this kind of singing. Most songs are male, and it's harder to sing those as a female... But it's also possible I just haven't progressed enough to really be able to tackle all these songs.

And also I feel like I really really wanna sing in a band. Do you think it's too early?

Sorry for this rambling. :) I'm sure many people have to go through the same dilemmas over and over again, and I just hope that maybe they share their own experience...

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Firstly heres a link to get you to the student area.

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/6859/how-to-get-access-to-the-ktva-student-areas-of-the-forums#

It can be hard to balance between working the course and singing, but the course is designed to get you singing better!

I think you got the best tone in Valerie, but you can definately still progress to rock if you stick it out. Seriously, get your student access!

As for being in a band, I've no personal experience with one but you sing well enough to get started so why not just take the plunge? It's all experience in the end 😃
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @coffeecrank

As a student you can post song demos in the New Student Demos section of the site.

Post LAH demos, etc. in the Volume you are on under that "LAH / AH" section.

You'll find it easier to know where to post by clicking the Categories link at the top of the page. Then, scroll through the list of available categories.

Too soon to be in a band? Not at all. Start looking / starting one. It depends on what the band is looking for and their skill level.

You have a nice tone to your voice, and a good musical vibe. If you're in the USA and some other places, craigslist is one way to find bands looking and to post that you're available. Likewise, checking out posts at your local music stores.

CL > Community > Musicians. Here's an example from Atlanta, GA

I'd encourage you to not sacrifice vocal growth at the expense of singing songs. Yes, it is good to sing songs. That's what we want to do. But, we need to train, train, train...in order to grow and strengthen our instruments.

Chris
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @coffeecrank

If you are already doing the workouts and then singing, I think you're fine. You just want to make sure you're intentional about your workouts, fixing mistakes and really working to perfect them. As Ken says, workout 5 - 6 days per week...then you can sing songs all you want. ;)

Don't skimp on the videos, BTW. :)

If you are going to be in Germany for any length of time, perhaps my German friends @doc_ramadani and @Klaus_T can help get you connected with a band.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @coffeecrank,

so, nachdem ich Dich heute Vormittag wohl erstmal verwirrt habe, jetzt ein herzliches Willkommen hier im Forum.

Good to have you here. Believe me, this place is a great learning environment. Are you originally from Germany or do you stay here for a certain time?

I like your version of Valerie, too. Very pleasant tone and also you have a very unique cool edgy sound in there. Very good. You already have a strong voice which will grow massively in the near future.

I am absolutely sure that you will be able to sing classic rock very soon. Work on resonance, support and learn how to control the air and you will be able to bring in some grit to your voice very fast.

Doc
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Hi I liked it you got a nice tone, I've just started myself so don't know enough about technique to comment but it sounded good, nice one! All the best.
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    @coffeecrank Right this is a great place to learn , I started training with Ken's youtube videos and am glad to have gotten the course, I'm struggling forward to get the exercises down I've found it quite physically demanding actually, in a good way, trying to engage my support properly