Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Alice in Chains - Man in the box Vocal Cover

Hey guys, here's a new video cover of Man in the box by Alice in Chains. It's really a tough tune and I tried my best to give it justice. I've been finally practicing singing since I'm on my summer break from college and most of my voice health is back and better than ever. Also easing it back into compression, my mix register is really picking up that rasp and it feels great, no strain on cords whatsoever. I watched a lesson on this song that Ken did with Gaby so few tips also helped. Would love to hear your thoughts on this take. I'd appreciate if you left a comment on the video, it really does help. Thanks everyone! Dorian :)

https://youtu.be/sTlS4XBzTwM

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Nice I enjoyed your version of this great song, you're right it's a tough one to my ears at least. I've tried doing this one but it was outside my capabilities at that time, I did a demolition job on it. This sounded like a nice vocal to me, I find there's a psychological block when it comes to that chorus note everyone loves and I end up tensing but you seemed to handle it well. Once I'm adapted to KTVA and have gotten onto safe distortion (which will take me a great deal of time from what I gather), I'm going to return to this classic piece for another round with my good technique in place.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I find that high note is around my passagio, you did this justice in my opinion and kept everything safe in respect to your voice. Good job🙂
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Good Job man!
    I saw you post on Reddit too hahaha!
  • dvarovicdvarovic Member Posts: 24
    samw2019 said:

Nice I enjoyed your version of this great song, you're right it's a tough one to my ears at least. I've tried doing this one but it was outside my capabilities at that time, I did a demolition job on it. This sounded like a nice vocal to me, I find there's a psychological block when it comes to that chorus note everyone loves and I end up tensing but you seemed to handle it well. Once I'm adapted to KTVA and have gotten onto safe distortion (which will take me a great deal of time from what I gather), I'm going to return to this classic piece for another round with my good technique in place.

Hey man, I most definitely know what you mean, it was far beyond my capabilities few years back, I tried doing this one live, sounded like that goat screaming meme that's been around for years hahahaha. You're apsolutely right about psychological thing, I wast just talking with a friend who does the mix while in studio. I knew I could hit the note but it would come out sometimes pretty weak or unsustainable once I warmed up thing started to fall into place. Motivation is pretty cool and it's influence on relaxing in general :) Just take it slow and safe and I believe you'll be there in a matter of no time! Appreciate the time you took to write this out, means a lot! Dorian :)
    Wigs said:

I find that high note is around my passagio, you did this justice in my opinion and kept everything safe in respect to your voice. Good job🙂

Pretty much,yea. This is like top of my mixed register, everything beyond that goes into a full head. For a baritone-tenor? I'd say that pretty alright haha, I spent years in the lower registers, feels good to finally have more control and actual range in here, all I ever dreamed about few years back haha :) Thanks so much for kind words my friend! Dorian
    Diego said:

Good Job man!
    I saw you post on Reddit too hahaha!

Hey Diego,
    Thanks my dude, appreciate it!
    Hahahah yeah, I've been lurking on Reddit from time to time. SEO and Youtube supposedly pick up on reddit posts aswell so I said might aswell post it there :)

Dorian
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Dorian,

pretty good work. I read that you worked on that for the technique for years. A you worked good. What I miss a little bit is the energy and vibe of the song. You sound a little to well-behaved for this iconic song.

I think Ken's student Gabriella found the real sweet spot between controlled technique and the energy this song screams for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbAAYAYTcf4

My 2 cents.

Doc

Hi Dorian,

pretty good work. I read that you worked on that for the technique for years. A you worked good. What I miss a little bit is the energy and vibe of the song. You sound a little to well-behaved for this iconic song.

I think Ken's student Gabriella found the real sweet spot between controlled technique and the energy this song screams for:

My 2 cents.

Doc

Hey Doc,
    Yea, someone pointed that out in one of the comments, and I do have to agree. I really went carefully into choruses just because it's Layne Staley and one of their most iconic songs. I have to admit, while recording I had a thought in the back of my head that I let get to me as in: I need to do this right because I just can't screw this up, it's too big of a song. Really, it kind is a mental game aswell. But we learn from some of our mistakes and I did get general positive feedback which is just an auto boost in motivation for the future! And yeah, Gaby is a BEAST!

Thanks for your comment, appreciate it! :)

Dorian
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Nice job.
    You nailed it.
    A beautiful song and very hard to sing.
    I think you delivered the song the right way.
    I heard it without watching the video and it sounded so professional!

Great
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @dvarovic Great Job this sounds fantastic! Really great pitch! It sounds like you have a good handle on glottal compression, were you compressing during this song? This is a difficult song but you made it sound easy! Keep singing!
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Really enjoyed listening to this. Such a hard song, and you did great.
    Claude77 said:

Nice job.
    You nailed it.
    A beautiful song and very hard to sing.
    I think you delivered the song the right way.
    I heard it without watching the video and it sounded so professional!

Great

Thanks man, appreciate the words! :)
    Chris82 said:

@dvarovic Great Job this sounds fantastic! Really great pitch! It sounds like you have a good handle on glottal compression, were you compressing during this song? This is a difficult song but you made it sound easy! Keep singing!

Oh yea, big time! Really had to gather my thoughts and compress harder to get the pitch right along with the sustain. It's at the top of my mix so, much more effort went into chorus, could of easily sang them in a cleaner head, but not really what I would prefer. You can hear that I really started to open up at the last chorus, wish I did them a bit more "dirty" rather than clean, but that's okay. Gotta keep on practicing.Thanks for the kind words, means a lot! :)
    DogMeat said:

Really enjoyed listening to this. Such a hard song, and you did great.

Hey dude, thanks so much, appreciate the words and thanks for leaving a comment on Youtube aswell, haha! :)
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Really nice Dorian!
    I wish I could get that rasp up in that range without slightly forcing it.

Really nice Dorian!
    I wish I could get that rasp up in that range without slightly forcing it.

Thanks man, aprreciate it! :)

I had this linked to me recently so just gonna forward it: "You got to bleed a little while you sing".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygd5T_jimSk

On a serious note, I think you still do have to "force" a bit to get the compresison just right and enough so it can ultimately result with a rasp in voice.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Don’t know if you’ll see this cuz it’s six months after you posted but it sounds great. Nice job