Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Having trouble understanding my voice(type)

Hi,

I hope you can help me out a little. I've been having some trouble understanding my voicetype and the registers/passagio's and how to cope with them.... all those different terms and methods that people use can be confusing, it makes me feel a bit unsecure about if I am getting things right.

I've started singing a few months ago and at first thought I was a bass. The chestvoice is my comfortzone and when I do exercises I can sing notes down to D2, C2 if I am warmed up. After learning about passagio's I determined my own personal passagio's: Db4 and Gb4. That tought me I should be a tenor instead! Two months later I checked again and my passagio's seem to have been shifted up a little to D4 and G4.

Now I am at the point of seriously studiing the registers. Last weekend I accidentally discovered singing in headvoice, yeah! I allways thought that falsetto is the headvoice and apparantly I sung high notes in my chest/midvoice. Headvoice feels so much better! :) When doing excersises I can sing up to C5 (occasionally a D5).

So two questions:

What is my voicetype... tenor with an extended low range? In voicetype charts I never come across such a low voicerange.

How do I choose when to shift between registers? And what is save to do, always on the passagio’s? Because apparently I can push my chestvoice quite high and I can stretch the midvoice quite far.

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hi Rutger,

Let's see if I can get some stuff straightened out for you. :)
    I've been having some trouble understanding my voicetype and the registers/passagio's and how to cope with them.... all those different terms and methods that people use can be confusing, it makes me feel a bit unsecure about if I am getting things right.
    Let's talk about voice type. It's irrelevant. Wow, that was easy :tongue: Passagii are a bit different but even they aren't as important as you think and they are easy to find and work with without much complication.
    I allways thought that falsetto is the headvoice ..
    For simplification purposes KTVA equates reinforced falsetto with headvoice. We don't like to leave our falsetto in it's naked state. In that state it is hooty and flooty and isn't very useful for us as singers. We try and develop the falsetto by reinforcing it to give it some power so that it can better serve our singing.
    When doing excersises I can sing up to C5 (occasionally a D5).
    And when you build your voice you will be able to travel much higher than this :)
    What is my voicetype...
    I think that this one is pretty thoroughly answered.
    How do I choose when to shift between registers?
    Operative word is choose. You do choose when as you become more skilled as a singer.
    And what is save to do, always on the passagio’s?
    When we first start working our voice our pasaggii are the most convenient places so we generally switch there, but as time goes on we learn that we can switch wherever we want.
    Because apparently I can push my chestvoice quite high and I can stretch the midvoice quite far.
    And this is good. Because sometimes artistically we want chest voice sometimes we want mix and sometimes we want head. Having a large pallet of choices as singers makes us more versatile artistically.
  • RutgerRutger Member Posts: 4
    Thank you very much for your clarifications! It’s a relief to hear that I am on the right track. 😊

I just love digging into all this technical stuff, I sometimes doesn’t even come to the point of singing a real song 😄