Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Shape of You - Ed Sheeran Cover

https://www.smule.com/recording/ed-sheeran-shape-of-you/2005406562_3110665357

I'm still working on this one so any feedback on which parts you like and which parts you don't would be helpful! This song is pretty brutal on breath management it is full of really long phrases and not a lot of breaks to take breaths lol but I managed it. @doc_ramadani Hopefully my Contiguous singing has been getting better lots of consonants on this one so was tough to keep the words flowing and keep my throat from closing down.

Comments

• Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    I think you did a good job on such an hard song (as you pointed)
    I would suggest just to add a bit more weight on the sound of your voice, I know it wouldn't be the Ed Sheeran way but I think if you add a bit more sound and weight it could sound even better than this.

Good job!
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @Claude77 Thanks for the feedback. I did as you suggested and spent some time in the studio. Added more weight and I think you’re right it does sound better!

https://www.smule.com/p/2005406562_3111190603
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Wow.
    Man, to my ears it sounds much better and you did a great job.
    Once again it's a hard song and now to me it's sound like YOU singing an Ed Sheeran song.
    Great job man keep the great work.
    C.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Good morning, Chris, @Chris82

your progress is very impressive. Very good work on your contiguous phrasing. I think you could glue the lyrics together even more. But for my ears you are really improving on that from demo to demo.

And I really love the tone you have to your voice. It is very unique. I have 2 things you might have a look at:

1.) On the "EE" like ME you sound a little bit nasal and frontal. I did this for a long time and still have to pay attention to it. Maybe you want to try to sing a little more towards "MEH".

2.) You vibrate is very fast, like a caprino vibrato. Did you ever try to slow it down and let it come in gently? - For sure, this is a matter of taste but it could be helpful to have different types of vibrato in your tool box.

My 2 cents, cool job, Chris,

Doc
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Chris82 nice rendition there, it’s a tough song to do I’ve tried it and very consistent performance.

Good job