Home Vocal Health and Wellness

My vocal fach??

Actually im a bit confused with my own vocal type..
My lowest note of chest range is about F#2/G2..
and my highest chest note is about D4/D#4/E4( im not sure actually)

My friend has been telling me that i am probably a Bass-Baritone type? So what do you think?

Am I Bass type?
Am i Baritone type?
Am I both?

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @hollow_kurosaki88,

for me it looks like you would be judged a low baritone. But don't worry Ken teaches us a technique to sing far beyond the ranges that are taught in the german fachs.

Doc
  • hollow_kurosaki88hollow_kurosaki88 Member Posts: 20
    Tq for answering @doc_ramadani ..

Well i do hope someday that i will be able to sing highnotes with freedom..
    Do you think that i can atleast improved my chest voice up to C5??
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @hollow_kurosaki88,

I am sure that you will be able to extend your range up to an C5. Before the course I could sing up to a F#4. Now, after 1 year, I can reach an Eb5. Take the scales on the AH very serious. They will help to grow your voice.

Doc
    edited August 2019
    @doc_ramadani there something i wanna ask you doc..im seriously wanna improve my chest range..do you think you could help me with this?

I did this warm up to awake my voice..
    https://youtu.be/YkXHQJc9L6s
    But after this warm up, which exercise should i do?

This one?
    https://youtu.be/1llyljAE7rI

Or this one?
    https://youtu.be/P9J3iEn4Gqc
    edited August 2019
    @doc_ramadani i see..

So,
    1)Daily vocal exercise
    2)Pro vocal warmup
    3)How to rock chest voice..

Is this right in order??
    Yes, that would be a good beginning.
    Alright doc @doc_ramadani..thank you so much for taking your time answering me..glad you help..
    Hello @hollow_kurosaki88,

good beginning. Use this whole routine for your daily practice and you will see that your voice grows dramatically. Nice open throat.

Doc

PS.: Check all the other free videos from Ken. They are platinum information.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Ok @hollow_kurosaki88 as promised, I checked out your videos. I watched your first video, and I am unable to figure out what vowel you are using. If you are following Ken, you need to emulate him EXACTLY. The vowel sound that he uses you need to copy. Keeping the purity of the vowel ensures that you build proper muscle memory. If you practice the vowel incorrectly you will end up undoing all the work that you built around the incorrect vowel and then rebuild using the correct one.

This should keep you busy for a while. Remember vowel purity is VERY important.
    @HuduVudu thank you for your feedback..i guess i still had a lot to learn..but other than vowel purity, is there anything else is wrong with my scales?? Anything else i need to improve??
    There is always something else :tongue:
    Take the road one step at a time and soon enough you will reach your destination.
    @HuduVudu i see..actually i mean to ask you that "other than vowel purity is anything else is wrong with my scales"

but after hearing your answer,i take that as "other than vowel purity,you did all things correctly"..
    and im not saying im good.

of course i know that im far from perfect..im just a beginner but there is always a room for improvement..
    Anyway, i will definitely record myself again at my free time and post it here to hear your feedback again
    until next time :)
    To clarify, you had many issues, but in my estimation the vowel purity would be priority for you. You should correct your vowel purity issue first.

Until next time :)
    @HuduVudu well thanks for answering..at least i know that im far from comfort zone and need to learn more.. :)
    Hello again Mr @HuduVudu ..so im here again as promised to upload the video of myself..this time i couldn't make a video but just only the recorded sound of my scales..
    so i have tried to observe the scales on ken's video and try to compare mine..i tried to copy his vowel as exactly as i can and this is the closest i can get..im not sure its correct or not..but i hope you can help me again this time..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-HYssdLJALls0c41qSV2nwRh6ENMqu23/view?usp=drivesdk
    It is closer but not yet correct. Keep working on it.

Try going online and finding other people using this vowel. The English words that you want to be looking for are May, bay, tray, day, fray. Listen to others make these sounds. Also your are letting your larynx rise and this is seems to be having an impact on your vowel purity. Watch this video on how to deal with it and what it sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlUX7ea9re0

One of the absolutely most overlooked skills in singing is being able to clearly hear your voice. If you build this one thing your singing is guaranteed to improve. If you are recording your voice then you have exact reproduction as close as can possibly be to what other people hear. The problem is that our brain filters out information that it deems irrelevant. We have to work to remove that filter from our brain so we can hear the things that are happening in our voices. Take time to listen to your voice. Do different things with your voice hear how they sound. Experimentation is the key to successful growth.
    edited August 2019
    @HuduVudu alright..thank again..i will work more on vowel purity..

Regarding sound froggy, i never know i had one until you mentioned those..i have watched the video that you sent..and in the video ken taught us to lowered the larynx position..but when i force my larynx in a lowered position i feel like

1)im shifting into "opera chest voice" mode
    2)i feel like carrying weight in my throat..

Does this thing normally happen when you're learning to force your larynx in a lowered position?

A lot of things are going to feel strange to you as you start to change how you are singing. This is normal for everyone. We build habits and ideas around singing when we a very young and don't even think to challenge them as we get older. That is why doing things "correctly" seems so foreign to us. Just trust the system and be mindful when you practice and you will come to find the truths that are the fundamentals of singing.

You are going to feel like you are in opera chest voice. You will have to learn to differentiate between a lowered larynx and lowered notes. You need to keep that larynx down all the way through your scale progression. That includes the higher notes. The froggy sound will be most noticeable however at the lower notes.

You should not be carrying weight in your throat and what you are probably experiencing is that your throat is constricting. You need to get your throat open through your entire range.

Everyone's mistakes are unique to them so normally is a word that has no meaning in this context. Are you normal ... yes. Is what your experiencing normal ... see the first paragraph.
    @HuduVudu alright i know i have said this countless times before but i think its needed to be done..thank you so much for willing to help me..its good to know that there are still good people in this community that are willing to help the stranger to improve their singing..i have learn a lot from you these past days not only singing/vocal knowledge but also a life lesson..

So,i have been doing that lowered larynx these past days..and just as you said,i feel froggy at low note and i no longer carried a weight in my throat as i tried to drop my tongue more and create maximum amount space for open throat..

Anyway,i have 2 question(if you don't mind) that has been occupied my thought..

1)How long should i practice this "lowered larynx" exercise? And how to know that its safe for me to stop doing this and revert back to the normal routine??

2)i did this "lowered larynx" exercise but at the highnote i still feel that my larynx rise as i go up even though i tried to force my larynx down..what should i do? Should i avoid going any higher that caused my larynx rise??

Thank you again :)
    How long should i practice this "lowered larynx" exercise?
    For your training purposes ... forever. While this isn't "technically" the case, you need to do it so long that you can do it unconsciously.
    And how to know that its safe for me to stop doing this and revert back to the normal routine??
    You will NEVER revert back to your "normal" routine. This is the hard part about learning and growth. When you change you change forever. If you go back then ... you haven't changed. When you learn to touch type (a kind of typing) you should never go back to single finger typing. I think the more serious question would be why would you want too because touch typing is superior in every way. When I used single finger typing I could type MAYBE 5 words a minute, not that I have mastered touch typing I can type 100 words a minute. Why on earth would I ever go back to that. I can type nearly as fast as I can think, something that would never even be possible to me if I was using single finger typing.
    i did this "lowered larynx" exercise but at the highnote i still feel that my larynx rise as i go up even though i tried to force my larynx down..what should i do?
    On higher notes your larynx MUST rise. This is normal. Your job as a singer is to keep it as low as you can. Think of it like this, once your larynx exceeds a certain threshold you can go no higher. If you can keep it down a little bit then you can get a few more notes out than if you just let it go up. You don't need to force this, just work to keep it down the best you can even at the high notes.
    Should i avoid going any higher that caused my larynx rise??
    Your voice has physical limitations. I certainly doubt that you could run a marathon (27 miles) right now, so right now your limitation is that you can't run that far. Now, could you train to run further and do it faster, ABSOLUTELY, but it's just that you have to train to do that feat and in time running that distance won't be a physical limitation. Today however it is, accept this as part of the process. So to answer your question, don't force yourself past your physical limitations.