Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Lip Rolls running out of breath

Hi everyone. I am new here and I am working on lip rolls at the moment and when I try to do them on a longer major scale, up and down, I am running out of breath and can't complete them. How do you overcome this problem? I would post this in the students area, but have no funds yet to buy the course. Any help is appreciated

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2019
    hi Mark, this probably means that your support is not strong enough yet. You let too much air escape, which is missing later on in the scale. you can watch Ken's free videos on diaphragmatic support, and practice accordingly. I assume you already know where to find it. if not, let me know. hope you can work it out.
  • mark90mark90 Member Posts: 30
    Thank you very much for the answer, I will work on support and breathing and revisit Kens free videos on Youtube.
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Hi Mark I've been training for near 10 weeks and I also struggle wiht my burbles I think it's a support issue from what I gather in that my lips stop burbling I think I just have to keep driving my support more and more. Not an expert and just learning myself but I don't have the trouble with the Ah scale in the same way. Also I struggle to break into headvoice on my burbles, when I think I can do that on my Ah scale not as difficult. All the best with your training, peace
    Hi Sam. Thanks for your help, I wish you the best of luck too
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @mark90,

did you buy the course? - If yes, then:

Since you purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here.

Doc
    Hi Doc. I didn't buy the course, I don't have the money to do so yet, I am learning from Kens free videos on Youtube and I am gathering information about doing various exercises from the internet also.
    I have practiced the diaphragmatic breathing and I think I figured out how to not run out of breath when doing the long scale lip rolls. So I took a breath in, through my nose, and supported my diaphragm. I have pushed down on the diaphragm and focused on the notes when going back to the starting note, if that makes sense, i hope it helps someone out there who has the same problem.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @mark90

It takes time to build strength, just keep doing the ken’s Free tutorials you will improve in time and when you join the course you will have a good basic understanding of what’s required.

Vocality
  • CarlRydbergCarlRydberg 2.0 PRO Posts: 36
    Hey guys, bumping up an old thread here.
    I have lots of problems with the lip rolls. I guess it has to do with leaking air. Starting my daily exercise with the lip rolls gives me a sore throat right away which affects the rest of the session. Would it be better to to the vowels first and take just a little (healthy) bit of lip roll at the end instead? Building it slowly bit by bit. I have no problem with breath support doing the vowels, if I skip the lip rolls at the beginning.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    @CarlRydberg The lip rolls are the warmup before your scales, they are also something you can do throughout the day and practice, not just before your exercises. Getting a sore throat usually means you are blasting too much air over your cords. Really concentrate on being gentle with the sound, its not meant to be very loud or used to stretch your chest voice.
    Thanks Wigs for your response. However, it seems to me then that I can't do any other exercise at all until I nail the lip rolls? I know I'm blasting too much air, this has been a problem that has occured the past few years which has caused me to practice from the basics and rebuild my instrument from the ground up. (I've been working as a professional musician for some 10-15 years but my technique started to fail me some time ago.)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Sorry for the confusion, of course you can still practice your vowels 🙂
    No worries mate :)
    What still bugs me a bit though is that i can't seem to find out exactly how to practice getting the lip-roll going at all. I basically just see Ken hand his student do them, but not really how if you're unable to.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I think he explains it in the vol 2 student videos with Adam by saying just keep trying