Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Diaphragmatic support???

I'm slightly confused on this breathing technique...I'm going thru VOL 2 and I've heard Ken say 'open up that rib cage" ....I'm pushing out the stomach. Now..I watched another guy's video (I know, I know) he said you "breathe in the back, sing in the front" & with Ken's rib cage comment, I feel I'm missing something. Am I supposed to combine these 2 techniques somehow? I don't wanna begin doing the very 1st lesson wrong.
Thanks Dudes & Divas! :)

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Ronvashon,

I am on the course and I can tell you: Do only what Ken tells you to do. :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE

Doc
  • RonvashonRonvashon Member Posts: 5
    I'm gonna stick to the KTVA . course only. Ken's the man!
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Ronvashon

Since your on the course you need to get upgrade to the student part of the forums maybe @doc_ramadani can post the link for you to apply.

@Vocality
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Once you have forum access, look around in the sub-forum for support. You will probably find your answers there. If not, you can make a new thread and we will help you out :)

All the best,

Ben
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Since you purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here.
  • KrystalKrystal Member Posts: 34
    ❤️ I will purchase the course whenever my ship comes in! 🚢 Meanwhile, despite the various praises of my singing that float around, I continue to evaluate myself and work at improvement. Unfortunately I don’t have time to practice every day. But I do watch certain vids repeatedly such as this one about diaphragmatic support. Sometimes I know I’m getting it right during singing. Other times I’m not. One thing I will say—I am generally more relaxed when singing solos than when I’m in a group. In that situation I am usually the strongest voice and it has become apparent that others depend on me to get things right and “lead” others. That puts you under pressure, whereas by myself I can have more fun and play around a little more. Even a cappella is a walk in the park for me. That said, I find that the more relaxed I feel, the less tension there will be in the throat and the abdomen in those all-important muscle groups.

I have sung solo work or 35+ years, it is true that we can become better singers when we are older. I know I have 😁 But again, despite the praise and flattery, I know I can achieve more. For me, one big goal is better breathing, another is stamina. We ALL want to sing higher notes! When you listen to Ken and the others on rock songs, you realize that takes a measure of physical power many of us could never aspire to. Sure I’d love to sing like a Celine Dion or Kathleen Battle, etc., but that would be an unrealistic holy grail...