Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Ain't no Sunshine

Hi All,

I've been off the forum for quite a while...I have very little free time and I've been using it to practice. I'd like to share this recent recording and ask for feedback/critique.

Thanks,

Michael

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvqpmhkVjP-MiGS1aKs7s1ZiK5go

@HuduVudu @doc_ramadani @Vocality @bentk @iking @Diego @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Sophia @victortang @Klaus_T @Furious_Phil @Ken Tamplin @Wigs @Maximus3000 @Jáchym @cwcw @reallydanny @SlaySomething @Rick_amateur

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi mate, so good to hear from you. Do you play the piano simultaneously (while singing)? Doc
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    @doc_ramadani Yes. Then I added the drums from my keyboard.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @Michael4000 Very nice man!
    I see you have a LOT more control now than before. You have good dynamics throughout the song. There's a part that could sound cooler with better dynamics which is the I know, I know, I know part; (It's how I would do it, it's stylistic choice) I would start off very soft and breathier and gradually amp up the volume so it doesn't sound the same and it gives it some color. *That's the stylistic side*

Now for a more technical standpoint you have a lot of good stuff, just watch the pitch a little bit, because you go flat and shaky on a few occasions.

But that's about it man!
    You're growing a lot, keep it up. :+1:
    @Diego great suggestions, thanks!
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Hey, nice original cover from such a milestone song.
    I do prefer the original one because I love the soul that can be felt on it, but I am not saying you did bad.
    Actually you did very good on singing and on rearranging the song.

As mentioned by DIego I would use the dynamic trying to build up so you feel a crescendo.

A part from that really nice job man.
    C.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Michael4000,

very cool to hear you again after such a long time. Your voice has grown a lot of resonance which supports you cool tone even more. You gave this one a very good touch with your own interpretation. I like it. If you would start the song with a little bit lighter voice it would be even better since you could build up the song a bit more.

You've improved a lot over the past few months.

Doc
    Guys, thanks for all your feedback and recommendations. This was not my own interpretation however, I was emulating a version I found on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLsye_LJ_Ks

@doc_ramadani @Diego @Claude77

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Nice job, @Michael4000

Your voice has grown a lot while you've been away. You are sounding more and more like a singer, instead of someone who is a beginner.

Your voice is stronger, now. You've added vibrato and distortion. Your support is pretty good, especially compared to the earlier "you". It's helpful that you included the example of the version you were emulating, because this version is a lot different from the Bill Withers and other versions that are out there. It gives us some perspective into what you are doing on this demo.

I would slow down the vibrato a bit, if you're up for that. I often have that same issue. A good way to get more in touch with controlling your vibrato speed is to do Ken's "ghosting" exercises. Those are shown in Volume 2, Lesson 20, Vibrato 1. Slowing down the vibrato will give your voice a less nervous sound, and make it more relaxed. That's normally more apealling to the majority of listeners.

I would encourage you to remember to apply the "AH" vowel as much as possible. Transform all of the "i's" and EE's into more AH or Aye based vowels.

So Gone would become G-awn
    I would become Ah, or Ah-ee, but sustaining on the Ah, closing on a very short ee.
    Sunshine would be Sun-sh-ah-n (sunshine with a southern accent)
    Time would be T-ahm

Superimposing a little more Ah into the whole of the song will help open up your vocal tract and make your singing more sonorous. (song-like, instead of word-like). So the old "sing it all on the Ah to get the whole song opened up, then look at all of the vowels in the song, and keep the consonants minimized with a view towards maximizing use of the AH vowel. It's the Lah!

Your voice has become much more pleasant and interesting to hear. You're on a good track. You are projecting emotion and feeling into your voice. That means you are beginning to feel more natural about your vocal techniques, so you can allow your personality to enter into the song.

Some of your note bends sound a bit mechanical. Like on any time she goes "away-ee"

That said, you are doing some vocal runs and riffs that were beyond your capability not too long ago. The more you work on those, and the bends, the more natural they will become, and the less mechanical they will seem. Perfect the Mechanics first, then enjoy the liberties they provide when you become more agile with them.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are on a good trajectory. It's good to hear you improving so much.

Bob

Great feedback thanks Bob! @highmtn
    edited September 2019
    Bob, why do I always feel like a Newbie when you answer? I think it is because I am. :smile: Marco
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    edited September 2019
    Wow!!!! We miss your feedbacks Bob @highmtn
    It's great to see that you can give some feedback from time to time.
    I spent so many time reading your comments on someone else demo and I learnt so much.

Thanks again, I think all the community hopes you will be able to give some more feedbacks in the future.
    Claudio