Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

House of the Rising Sun (The Animals cover) with video

House of the Rising Sun (The Animals cover) with video

Hey folks, I've been meaning to start a YouTube channel, and a lot of people here were super supportive about it... :)

So here I go... First singing video. I know video quality is very meh, I was recording on my phone, and I'm planning to get a real camera soon, but I gotta pace myself financially. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYislSwiCoM

@doc_ramadani @Vocality @Sophia @blondiewales @Wigs @cwcw @DogMeat @Raphael_Hussl @BarbieLynn @d1g2w3 @samw2019 @Rick_amateur @omkarpancham @maximgottmer @Furious_Phil @bonvie56

Special nudge to @Diego, I know his version is better, but I can always try... :)

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Hi Lana,
    That was great well done! And you seemed pretty confident on the camera too with good style, well done, peace.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Good stuff! Love your vibrato🙂 if your phone records at 1080 I wouldn't worry about a camera till alot further down the track. There are apps that let you control the phone camera like a DSLR for full manual control.
  • bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    Super! :smiley: You have really nice tone and interpretation.
    Ok kids...I gotta be honest here. This brought back a lot of memories because I was 8 years old when it came out...1964. I had been taking piano and organ lessons for the next door neighbor lady and this was the first rock song I ever learned. Used to hammer it out over and over again on my parents Hammond B3 until it drove my Mom nuts!
    Thanks for the memory Lana!
    ~~Dan
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Good work Lana.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Lana,

well done. Congratulations to your first YT video. I am one of the first subscribers of your channel.

There are some things you can improve on:

Carefully watch your pitch on the high notes and when coming down from them. Support really strong because you tend to go flat there.

Don't crank you Behringer Ultragain too much. The recordings of our last collaboration were really squashed by the compression of the tube preamp. If you record your vocals too hot (loud) you will loose a lot of dynamics. It is better to do the volume adjustments later on when mixing the track. So I would recommend to you to have a look into the tutorials Ari ( @DogMeat ) sent you. You will get much better end results if learn some recording and mixing techniques.

I am very curious with what you will come up next, Lana.

Doc
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    Sounds pretty good Lana!
    Good job.
    If I would give any feedback it would be to change the vowels you are using on those specific high notes.
    I feel they are making the note harder than it should be for you. You start off with a good placement below, but as you go higher you start to lose that placement and you lose all that valuable resonance this song needs.
    This song needs a lot of space to be able to make the same '' powerful'' sound, without having to do much.
    If you notice in the original usually, the vowels he uses are mostly placed between Ah and OH' s for the high notes.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    edited October 2019
    Great effort @coffeecrank . Heard some flat high-notes, but all and all it was an enjoyable performance. Lower the gain like Marco proposed, so it does not clip (go over 0db). I used to do the same mistake before.

I also subscribed :smile:
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Well, like said before...
    Placement is basically where you place your note, and where it resonates.
    Placement can change how your voice sounds. If your placement is very forward and high, it may sound nasal, etc..
    You don´t want to drastically change your placement everytime, otherwise you´ll sound different every phrase you do, try to find a placement that does it for you.

• Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @coffeecrank Hi Lana, great to see you do another cover and also good that the more advanced members could already give you some valuable feedback. I think you would have been a little more credible, maybe if you had changed "boy" into "girl" in the line "it's been the ruin of many a poor boy" but I don't want to critique too much, all in all this is a very respectable effort and I'm looking forward to what is yet to come.