Homeβ€Ί VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Duan Duran - Ordinary World Cover

GuyChanGuyChan 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 167
Hi guys,

I know I could do better but there is my raw version of Duran Duran's Ordinary World.

https://youtu.be/xfKGFzVeFOM

Hope you'll enjoy it, tell me what you think ! :wink:

Also, I would like to know more about my vocal fach. Identifying my vocal timbre and texture, would some of you tell me more about it ?
I use to have a really soft voice, though I have a lot of resonance. And it can get "sharp" or have kind of metallic aspect when going into mixed voice and head voice.
What do you think ?

Guy Chan

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @GuyChan,

I grew up with this song and it is awesome that you remembered me of it.

And you presented a wonderful rendition. Again you showed a lot of different textures. There are some spots that could benefit from a little bit more attention on pitch. But man, that was again awesome. Great job, mate.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Doc

PS.: To my opinion this one was harder than the Muse cover - but that is my opinion.

PPS.: Great that this time the video was aligned with the audio much better.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I'm still quite basic when it comes to anything out of the course, it's all I know really and I've been on it for just over a year. So I couldn't identify your Fach but I'll say that listening to you and your style, reminds me of artists like Sade and Morcheeba.

If you would like some more detailed feedback on your head voice ect you can post scales in the student area, it's a bit easier to identify different things that way.

Love your vibe and rendition of the song. Sometimes it's nice to post works in progress, I can tell though that you would be able to make a really nice track from this. πŸ™‚
  • GuyChanGuyChan 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 167
    Hey, thanks @doc_ramadani ! Yes, I noticed that I had some pitch issues somewhere in there, but you know, I decided to leave them. And I agree with the fact that for me, it is also a hard song, as I have to get some finesse in the sound, and I used to inspire being a belter with a big voice. From that, making some mistakes with some things just before the song cost me my flexibility, and so my pitch. But you know, I didn't try to polish that, I wanted to be honest with myself and you, as I just did the course for 4 months. So you can here my mistakes, and help me with them as you hear them :smile:

Hello, @Wigs ! Well, thank you ! I'll do that. Comparing my voice to female voices tells me a great point on my voice :smiley:
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hey mate just to clarify that I didn't mean you sounded female, it's more the vibe you present that reminds me of them. Chill, cool, smooth or soulful 😎
    @Wigs Yeah ! I get that :wink: I just thought I could be one of the thinnest tenor voice type
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Great version Guy Chan. This one was not as polished as your previous song, but very good for a raw thing.
    I don't think you sound female at all. You definitely have the thinner side of tenor sound, but i'm sure that they all had before building the power into it step by step. I would compare your current sound more to Michael Jackson or Bruno Mars.
    Keep up the good work
  • samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    That was very good,! You've got quite the voice on you, all the best
  • bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    Very nice and easy to listen to!
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    I liked this man!
    It looks really easy for you... easy enough to show some emotion.
    I like how you did the words, heard some very interesting tones there.
    The thing I would work on is the head voice part, I think you need a little more agility on that part. Try to bring your placement for that a little forward, bring a little mask into it see if that helps to get a stronger sound, because I feel you are placing it a little further back and it kind of feels stuck.

Good job overall!
    Keep going! You have a nice natural tone!
    @Diego Thank you ! :smile: Actually, this is a "warm tone kinda song", so as sometimes my head voice sounds really pointed, I tried to round the sound a bit, but as you say, it may have been a bit hard for me to control it
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Nice, job @GuyChan ! One of my favorite Duran Duran tunes. I agree with the other comments here.

Chris