Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Greetings from an Alabama metalhead stuck on a farm. :)

TheVikingMaidenTheVikingMaiden Member Posts: 8
edited April 2013 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Okay, so maybe the discussion title is a bit misleading because I actually LOVE living on a farm. But I really am stuck here--I've recently had to withdraw from college due to some health issues, and my cardiologist has forbidden me to drive for awhile. In the meantime, I'm making the most of everything by studying singing and composing some. :)

So for a bit about me: I'm Courtney, a twenty-one year-old vocal performance major on hiatus from Alabama. My favorite color's blue and I'm obsessed with Finland, dragons, wolves, Nightwish, Nancy Drew, and Disney. I've had basic lessons in piano, violin, harp, and drums. (I don't remember anything from violin or harp, though...that was in elementary school.) My family moved a lot growing up, so I never really got a lot of solid musical training until college. Since I was thirteen, I've wanted to be the lead singer of a symphonic metal band. The band thing never really happened due to all the moving, but that dream is as alive as ever. Now that I have so much free time due to being ill, I really want to work on writing my own music and not wait around anymore to find other musicians before getting started. Thanks to college, I understand music enough to write it without actually playing any instrument competently. :P I do plan on trying to teach myself more piano once I have a bit more energy.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited April 2013

Courtney,

Nice to meet you.  Yeah, my favorite home that I still dream about, is the farm I lived on for a few years in Oklahoma.  So if you're going to be marooned somewhere, a place out in the country can't be beat!

A piano can be a useful tool when studying the voice.  If you don't have one handy now, you might look into getting an inexpensive keyboard second-hand somewhere.  You don't have to be very good on it at all, it's just really handy for reference to pitches and notes. You will also find it very useful for composing.

I would have to agree that blue is the color that reigns over all others. 

I hope you are able to use this time to learn much about singing and composing.

Bob 

• TrineTrine Enrolled Posts: 269

Hi Courtney!

Welcome to KTVA, you'll love it!

I am from Norway. I live on a small farm by a fjord, surrounded by high mountains and great mysteries. When I sing, the mountains answer me:-). I started singing last autumn, and you can't imagine how much I have learnt during these months. You have a lot to look forward to!

Trine 

• TheVikingMaidenTheVikingMaiden Member Posts: 8
    @Bob: Yes, that's right!
    Good grief, I've certainly no lack of pianos, hahaha. We have three in our house--a spinnet, an upright, and a Steinway concert grand. And a pump organ. :P I also have a full keyboard that I'm still waiting to get back from school (it's still in my dorm--I haven't moved out yet). I definitely agree that pianos are useful for pitches. I can play well enough to learn vocal melodies and play some basic chords or whatever, but I'm wanting to get even more proficient.
    Thanks!

@Trine: Wow, Norway! That all sounds so gorgeous! :) And that's encouraging. I'm excited for these next few months!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Well, at least you won't be lacking for pianos, OR pump organs..

So you're all set to get crackin' on your next demo!

@Trine , do you know any Vikings?  Courtney would like for you to send a few her way, along with any spare dragons, if you know of any in the Alabama area...

;^)

Bob

Bahahaha! Yes, please!!! :D
    @Bob, I am one! The lady viking herself. I can send many!

It's a long way to row, but with many you can bring a dragon-ship full!  And many horned helmets!

Ha!

:D I would be so grateful! And please make sure they all have long hair, because that is definitely my preference! hahaha
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    You guys are hilarious! And Viking maidens.
    edited April 2013

Long hair... Got plenty of them, and they are rock'n roll vikings too. I come from Bergen, the capital of Norwegian metal (black, extreme and kinder versions). I don't know what kind of music you like, but here you see an example of some of the vikings I know. Did you hear about Enslaved? They are much nicer than they look. My boyfriend was the first drummer in one of the most famous of these bands, Immortal. It started out in the basement of his parents house. His mum opened the door to all kinds of long-haired guys with long spikes and nails coming out of their boots, so they could hardly walk, and welcomed them warmly.... This was in the beginning of the dark metal wave coming from the north. Now they have all grown up, are teachers and architects and carpenters. But they still play. I don't like the growling so much, but I like the energy, AND THE GUYS:-). So just let me know, and I'll send some to you. Express Airmail, perhaps?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EshNUi1R96k

Trine

Wow, they're really good! I watched the video and then started watching some interviews. So likeable and respectable! I'm going to become a firm fan of them pretty soon, I think. :) I like just about any kind of metal as long as it's done well, and I have a soft-spot for black metal. :) (And the guys, too! hehe) Thanks so much for offering to send it to me! F.Y.E, a music store near me, sells their music, so I'll just pick up some of their albums there soon. But thanks so much, anyway!!
    edited April 2013

How great that you liked it. Then I can show you some more Norwegian metal. Did you hear about Immortal? That's the band I told you about rehearsing in that basement. Some of them made a new group called 'I', they made a record and were going on tour with Machine Head, but then the vocalist decided to focus on Immortal instead. An that was the short story of I. But here they are. My boyfriend is playing the drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlyWjIoz7ZQ

How is the singing going?

Trine

• willwolfewillwolfe Pro Posts: 5
    Hi, from a Tennessee boy who's a long way from home (in BKK, Thailand).  I like AL, have good memories of it, before life got complicated.  At age 40, I began studying violin, and I love it.  Such a wonderful instrument.  Never to late to learn something new, or to rediscover something valuable from your youth.
  • keifkeif Pro Posts: 4

Symphonic metal eh? I listen to a little from time to time. That leads to a question @TheVikingMaiden who do you prefer Tarja Turunen, Anette Olzon, or current sit-in Floor Jansen? Myself, From time to time I like to watch live concert footage of Nightwish (as well as Tarja and Floor on their own), and Epica on youtube.

like at 19:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc_PnVXVG08