Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Is singing on a grunt safe?

Hey guys, just a quick question here. I've been working on V2 of KTVA for awhile now, and have seen impressive results. There's a distortion technique that I have learned, and just wondering if it is safe to do. Basically I was taught to drop my larynx low and really cut back on the airflow, and my voice distorts very easy. It's all in the soft palate and as quiet or loud as I want it to be. Thing is, I can take this "grunt" sound comfortably up to a C5 without having to bridge into head. Have I stumbled upon glottal compression?...it more or less feels like the airflow is regulated right where my neck meets my chest (best description I could think of). And if this is safe can it be taken up to maybe a G5, or do I have to bridge at some point? Just saying once again that this doesn't hurt and there is no strain when doing it. It almost feels as if I'm holding my breath while singing...I think I heard ken mention that sensation, that's why I was wondering if I had inadvertently stumbled upon glottal compression. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey Derek,

I've seen your YouTube demos and I think you are doing it correctly. The key to distortion is the cutting back of air and then extreme support. It's such a fine line between doing it correctly and hurting yourself. You should notice a slight volume decrease and should be able to maintain open throat vowel mods etc while doing it. Your description is exactly what Ken refers to when teaching glottal compression. I've worked it with him a few times and it sounds like you are on the right track. Always clean up the voice afterwards maintaining bright clean tone to keeps the cords resilient.
  • Options
    DerekRenoDerekReno Member Posts: 4
    Cool man, thanks for the reply.  If you're talking about that grit/dist vid I have on YT, it's in desperate need of an update, lol.  I'll keep hammering it out then...getting some pretty gnarly screams that sound all nice and chesty :)
  • Options
    sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Nice work. The difference between the grunt approach and safe glottal compression is the concept of using very little air not letting it escape like you would in a grunt. To me it's like having a limiter/compressor on the voice. I engage the support and then hold back the air just like you are describing. It takes a lot of control to not over sing.
  • Options
    DerekRenoDerekReno Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, the glottal approach is killer...I'm glad I happened to stumble onto it.