Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

I think I figured it out(?)

After five and a half months I believe the program may have programmed me...About two days ago I began to grip really tight down on my upper pubic area and felt like I was sitting on a cushion of air and pushing down on it so low that it's a feeling that is a cross between bending to sit down and taking a dump. I'm on day 2 of this sensation and have slightly better control over it and it feels more automatic than having to deliberately concentrate on the sensation like in the beginning but I still haven't developed much control over it. I just know I feel nothing in the throat and everything is generated from the lower diaphragm in the upper pubic region pushing down and I am hopeful (?) that this is the proper technique to controlling the breath and the cornerstone for correct singing.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Travis,

I think you may be describing the thing that is so hard to describe that we're always trying to convey.  This is certainly a part of support.  I've been mentioning over and over again the concept of trying to transfer all of the force away from the throat and into the Diaphragm. Your description is like one of my recent ones where I said something like "it's LIKE this and it's LIKE that... Only different." 

Bob

• TravisBinghamTravisBingham Pro Posts: 16
    I'm now starting to feel the lower ribs push out and down in addition to the lower diaphragm. I take it this is a very good thing?
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    yes that is the rib expansion that Ken talks about.  You ribs will remain expanded as you sing through a scale or phrase then will return to their normal position in between.