Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Youtube copyright strikes on cover songs

I decided to make this a new topic.
So I just got a copyright infringement notice from youtube despite my video not being monetized...
This strike was for my Bon Jovi Song recorded for Sing It To Win It.
I dont want a copyright strike on my account...
Does the Ken Tamplin youtube account get similar issues?
How do you guys cope with copyright song infringement for cover songs?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2013

What does a YouTube "Strike" amount to?  Of all the material to be found on YouTube, nearly every song you bring up has about a dozen covers by various unknown artists.

Bob

• bandband Pro Posts: 61
    If I state that I am not making money from the video it states that it is still copyright. It does not give an option say that it is a cover. It assumes I am using the exact original version since it seems to be an automated audio comparison process. If I have any strikes my account might be disadvantaged and if I have 3 my account will be disabled.
  • MattMatt Pro Posts: 197
    Just had a look here: http://diymusician.cdbaby.com/2012/03/on-posting-cover-songs-on-youtube-music-licensing-law-explained/

Despite the countless number of covers of YouTube, it is still illegal to upload a cover of a song that does not belong to you. It's down to the owner's discretion, it appears. I've had a few covers up for a few years now and have not received any strikes. So, either someone has complained or the publishing company has stepped in perhaps?

The only surefire way to be allowed to record a cover of a song and put it on YouTube would be to get permission, which sadly is not easy!
  • bandband Pro Posts: 61
    That's why I'm curious about whether Ken has had the same problem. The new practice will likely be to have more than one account and put all the covers on the other account. That's what I've seen people do.
  • MattMatt Pro Posts: 197
    It's a shame it's come down to this, but there we go!

Yeah I've seen that too, although I imagine if it becomes too popular, they would start banning your IP or you via your personal details. Who knows!