Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

in Week 2 of Volume 1 - Want some advice

Hey, my name is Ant, I posted on this forum once before but now that I have had at least a couple of week's worth of work with volume 1, I would post again. 

Firstly, let me just say, I didn't skip ahead or anything, but since I purchased the downloadable version I had to unarchive all of the volumes and bonus material, and in glancing at all that's provided in this course, not to mention the amazing start with volume one, I gotta say this coarse is a fucking Gold Mine (pardon my foul language but I felt it was necessary) .. This really is a great course and Ken knows what the hell he's doing, I'm excited about going forward, but there are some things I'd like to clear up. 

When I started this coarse a couple of weeks ago I had NO concept of what head and chest voice really were. I now have a good enough understanding to where I know where I'm placing my voice. I still however do not know my range. Bob had mentioned to me in a previous post that I could find a word document in the bonus materials labelled "Determining Singing Range and Vocal Fach" I have yet to find that. And it would be a help, cause I'd like to know where I stand.

I have other questions concerning volume 1, but I'm going to look throughout the forum to post them in the necessary places. For now, I would like a critique from anybody on my recent cover of "madness" by muse. This isn't how I sing all the time, but when I sing in this style it always feels the best to me. I'm all ears and I look forward to hearing some good advice. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6jsuZZkFVs

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@AnthonyV,

I've commented on your demo in the Demos thread.  Good job.

Regarding the information you've downloaded, I'll try to guide you to the article you're wanting to see called "Determining Vocal Range and Singing Fachs".

I don't know if your download is structured differently from what I purchased some time ago, but here's the path to mine...

The file you seek is a Microsoft Word document.  It's titled as shown above, along with several other similar topics on the voice.  These articles are in a folder called "Understanding the Voice".

That folder is in a folder called KTVA Volume 3 - Bonus Material.

It's too long to post here. 

I hope this helps you find it in your downloaded materials.

Bob

• voodoovoodoo Pro Posts: 250
    Very well done.   Good head register work with easy side transitions from chest, along with consistent tone and volume. 

Work on stronger support (especially needed for the belting notes at the end).  Go ahead and start listening to the vibrato lessons (a little gospel jaw, maybe a little bit forced instead of completely relaxing into it). 

Also between 4:02 and 4:09 you attacked the A#4 a little differently (nothing that an audience will notice though).  You hit the Oo (look) mod at 4:02 for "love" but at 4:09 you initially hit more of a straight on AH before working to transition.  You want to go directly into the Oo each time there.  Between hitting that mod and better support you should be able to completely nail that note each time without any tension.  Hope that helps.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@AnthonyV,

If you go to the PRO section of the forums, there is a thread called Voice Types.

I attached a copy of the file referenced above.  Everyone with PRO access has this file in their package, so I think it's OK that it's posted in that section.

Bob

• AnthonyVAnthonyV Pro Posts: 44
    Ok great, thanks so much guys, I when I have time to sit with this tomorrow or monday I'm going to go through everything in fine detail. Voodoo, thanks so much for the in depth critique, questions to follow. 
  • AnthonyVAnthonyV Pro Posts: 44
    voodoo, i get exactly what you're saying. Thanks so much again. Yeah the vowel mods are coming to me slowly but surely. I'm still in volume 1 though.. That's actually something I was curious about too.. how come there are no exercises for the OO vowel? 

I know that's a little off topic but i thought I'd ask.

Ooh comes later.  First things first. 

A lot of time is spent initially on AH and AA because they are almost identical, and they share many of the same modifications.  For the sake of reducing complexity on something that some have difficulties wrapping their minds around, most of the time is initially spent on AH, AA, and EE. 

Later will come Ooh, and OH and transitional vowels.

Bob