Home Psychology of Singing

How to deal with people's dislike of your voice and training

Hey I've been working on my voice for about three years and Ken's program for about six months. I have learned how to sing in high full voice, by my own standards, pretty well. I feel I can sing Robert Plant repertoire decently (I am a high baritone) but my friends and my family constantly criticize my voice and my ambitions. I will post some videos of my singing but I am feeling pretty discouraged because my dream is to sing Steve Perry/Stevie Wonder stuff, etc. in a wedding band and I KNOW with a lot of hard work I could do it and make it sound great.

Comments

• matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    Thanks so much, Ken. This means alot to me. What is most hurtful about my friends' criticism is that I spend about two hours a day with my warmups and practicing singing. I also play guitar and piano, but it seems that hitting a foul note or two in singing gets me a heck of alot more criticism than with playing an instrument.
  • JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    Matt53, Keep at it. I too sound like a dying dog during my practise sessions and there's good reason for it. We a trying a build a voice. Firstly, we are stretching the EXTREMITIES. Secondly we are EXPERIMENTING. If you can sing Robert Plant decently, then wow, that's excellent. You should be striving to mimic anyone you desire to (perry,wonder,etc). I have my doubters to. But I've dreamed of singing ever since I cold remember and I'm not going to have anyone stop me even if it takes me the rest of,y life to get here. Good singing to ya. If you need support to battle against your doubters, this forum is the place to be. Everyone here can identify with you. This program and forum is brilliant.
    Thanks, Joseph. Your comment means alot to me and I wish you the very best of success in your singing and musical endeavors. My feelings have been very hurt by my friends who I jam with every week. None of them, by the way, can sing above middle C or in tune, yet they put down my singing to the point I don't feel like jamming with them anymore. I guess all I can do is keep working at it and get some thick skin lol.
  • bluesbirdbluesbird Pro Posts: 59
    Haters, haters, everywhere....!!!!
    Been dealing with this from day ONE in music. Even when there are no mistakes, someone will find something bad to say, just for the spite of it.
    Recently I was reading the comments under a Joe Bonamassa video...out of the blue, people stared a sick comparison between him and Jimmy Page...and oh, what foul and unfair things they were writing about poor Joe...and of course it went to show that little they knew about guitar playing, but their spiteful venom filled their veins...!!
    Another similar incident under a wonderful video of Fitz and the Tantrums, where Noelle Scaggs, the backing vocalist, was singing lead. They burried the girl, and she is indeed a wonderful singer!! The stupid comments under that video, oh dear..I wanted to shoot' em all.
    Be a good singer for yourself. If you have ambitions, never share them with anyone, except your trainers. The higher your ambitions, the fiercer you'll be attacked by your "friends"...and "family"...take my word on it.

@cgreen:
    Fortunately I stopped taking in mind what everyone says about me, some time ago. Here is a place where I don't mind any negative critique, because it's for my benefit and only for that, and in fact, like everybody, I really want to hear it coming from each one of you guys!! We're all in the same boat here and this goes to show in every post I read!!
    I referred to these incidents, only to show our friend Matt that even big shot famous artists have haters, one can't help having them. So we just accept it and move on. It doesn't have to do with developing thicker skin or harder stomach...it's something like the flu, it happens, and we don't make a fuss about it!! Hahaha!! Thanks for your nice words bro :)
    edited July 2013
    @cgreen: Seen all that too...it's childish indeed...it's a long subject, but to me, most mealheads are really immature people. Don't get me wrong, I'm a heavy metal fan myself...!! But music isn't politics, some should really get that to their heads!!
  • JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    @matt53
    One other thing i should have mentioned.
    From experience having critics can be the best thing to fuel your desire to overcome and succeed.
    Critics can be viewed as a negative, but they can also be very positive in terms of driving for the final result.
    Wouldn't you just love to prove them all wrong.
    I would.
    Peace.
  • JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    Never let people who don't know, tell those who do, how it's done. Afterall...what do they know?

I starting singing in 2008 and I'd be glad to post two recordings of the change in that period of time. Had I given up, I wouldn't be in a kick-ass 80's tribute band singing hair metal...honestly...like I said, what do they know. Pursue your passion. Oh, here's the now video...you'll have to ask for the "before"... :) 

Nothing But A Good Time - Poison (a half step up from the original) :) 

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

OK, 

So I'm asking...  Before?

;^)

Bob

• JoshuaJoshua Member, Enrolled Posts: 108
    It won't let me upload an MP3... is there a size limit?

Hey Josh, pitch-perfect cover and maybe better than the original, though I'm not much of a Poison fan. You have really inspired me to work harder at these songs and I wish the best of luck to you.
    P.S. Nice wigs XD
  • seekerseeker Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 83
    Hey , I cannot even practice because of my family .... they are always criticizing , I have to bear with it and come up with a solution !
  • RiffandPlayRiffandPlay Pro Posts: 14
    I wonder how Myles Kennedy sounded when he started to sing.. :)
  • koko5koko5 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2023
    How to deal with negative feedback on your singing when you know your voice is good? please let me know, I know this is an old discussion but the answer to my question is very important I am appealing to the admin. Please approve my post, Thanks :)