Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Can you give me some feedback?

Hey I started volume 1 about 3 months ago, I initially started with a very dark sound as demonstrated in the first link. Can you give me some feedback on my more recent recording (the second link)?

https://soundcloud.com/user992510822/san-francisco-bay-blues-old

https://soundcloud.com/user992510822/wagon-wheel

Cheers in advance,
Diarmuid

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Diarmuid,

Your newer version of San Francisco Bay sounds about a thousand percent better than the first one.

Wagon wheel also shows some improvement.

I think I suggested the last time you posted that you should record the guitar track separately so you won't be distracted vocally by having to pay attention to your guitar work.  That would still be a suggestion for the present, although it seems less of an issue now.

More support will go a long way to help you hit those higher notes.  You're using a little too much airy sound.  You need more cord closure and more support.  That will help you to hit the turnaround part in San Francisco Bay without going down to a lower voice.

You're on a good track from where you started out.  Keep doing the exercises and build that support!

All the best!

Bob

• guitarmaniacguitarmaniac Volume 1 Posts: 41

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I also emailed ken for an evaluation. He said I really needed to use more of an open throat.. So you were right about the cord closure!

Progress has definitely been slow so far but that's because I've been doing it wrong. I'm now trying to RELAX the tongue as much as possible instead of opening my jaw up and hoping for the best lol

I'm starting out as a complete beginner to singing as you can obviously tell but I'm going to be patient and hopefully over time I'll get to where I want to be :)

Thanks again for the feedback, it's been invaluable to me so far as the people here are the only people who can really say WHY something sounds bad instead of just saying it sounds bad give up!! lol

So thanks again Bob for the feedback!

Diarmuid

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Diarmuid,

We're really trying to tell you what will make you sound better, not so much what sounds bad.

I did not know that you were a complete beginner.  That says a lot.  You do have a lot to learn, but then that's why you're here!  So don't beat yourself up.  Give yourself a pat on the back and keep working at it.  Your efforts will pay off in proportion to the attention and effort you put into this!

Keep it up!

Bob

• guitarmaniacguitarmaniac Volume 1 Posts: 41

Thank you Bob for the reply. I've already seen some improvements since relaxing the tongue in the last couple of days!

Thank you very much for your help

All the best

Diarmuid