Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

I think this is ok opinions?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,157Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    @ashfittis

Your pitch is sometimes on, sometimes off. You are singing with great emotion, but without control over maintaining your pitch. At some point you will need to stop singing songs with random pitch and instead work on scales until you can sing them mechanically correct with regards to pitch, flawlessly.

You already have the gift to sing with emotional quality in your voice. But your pitch is untrained, and that is going to be something you will HAVE to tackle, if you want people to appreciate your vocals. It's not enough to sing your heart out. You have to sing your heart out On Pitch, or it's not going to work out.

We've talked about this before. Scales. Getting them right. Learning when you're on and when you're off-pitch. Get that right, and you'll be miles ahead of others who are mechanically right, but don't have the passion in their voice. You Must train your ear and your voice and your mind to work together to get the pitches right. To know when your right and when you're not, so that you can self-correct as you go.

Yes, I know that you hate scales. But you should love them, because if you do them right, as intended, they will teach you, when you get them right, to nail every note. You need to nail every note. Not just a percentage of the notes. Every note.

I hear a lot of good qualities in your voice. I hear a singer in there that could bring an audience to their feet. But not while singing with random pitch. You must meet the pitch-monster head on and defeat him. That will require some work on your part, and it's work that you don't like. But you need to learn to match pitches. To grow your skill in listening to yourself AS you sing, and to track the pitch like a heat-seeking missile, making corrections in your voice as your target tries to evade you, until you nail every note, time after time.

Keep your fire burning, but do the work you need to do to conquer the part of your voice that makes your mum think you can't do it. You CAN do it, but it's not easy. Show her. Show us that you can do it. Do it. I believe you can do it. But you have to be the one that does it. Lots of exercises, lots of getting used to preparing each note before you sing it.

All the Best!

Bob
  • ashfittisashfittis Posts: 187Member
    Thank you so much not only for your honesty but your encouragement and everything I done the scales yesterday gonna do them again today thanks again
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,157Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    No problem. It can be very challenging if you have difficulties in hearing the pitch issues yourself. Some people struggle with that. The thing is that I can hear the potential in your voice to be a successful singer. But if you can't conquer the need to have all of your pitches be spot-on, then you will be told to give up by everyone who may be critical. I don't want you to give up. I want you to face your pitch issues head-on, and do whatever it takes to reprogram your ears and voice and brain to become a pitch master. If I were you, I would invest some time in apps that will tell you when you are on or off pitch, if your note is too low, too high, or drifting around. Retrain the way you are hearing your voice and become your own judge of when you are getting off the track and when you are getting back on it.

Scales can be beneficial, because you can use them (possibly with pitch apps/software) to build muscle memory for each note. There are only so many notes. You can program your brain to hear the pitch better, and KNOW when you're too low (need to come up in pitch) or too high (need to bring it down). You may not have the patience for that. But it's what you need most of all. The public will not accept off-pitch notes in a song. You'll have to build that skill, and that drifting off track has been the spoiler every time. So you have your work cut out for you. Master that, and you'll be able to handle the rest. Without it, you're like an airplane in the clouds and can't see where you're going. You might hit a mountain or a mountain goat if you can't see where you're going. Same thing if you are singing and can't hear when it's right or wrong. You need a strong sense of pitch direction when navigating a song, because the notes keep moving around, yet they all need to be precisely on-pitch to meet the expectations of any audience.
    Great advice really appreciate it
    can you get a pitch detector?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 832Administrator, 2.0 PRO, hidden_admin
    Hi @ashfittis: There are some apps (for android and iOS) which can help you to detect your pitch. Have a look in your app store.
    Regards, Doc