Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

I’ve been doing scales

A lot of them but I’m still rubbish

https://www.smule.com/p/154460727_2618610486

I tried really hard with that song but some girl told me that apparently I’m tone deaf and have no virstilialty

Comments

• Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 693STREAMING PRO
    edited November 2018
    I think your voice sounds nice. Yes it's off pitch at times but you will correct that with practice and time. My own family, who is usually very supportive of me, told me that singing isn't my thing after hearing my recordings. But I just keep trying to get better. One quote I like to refer to a lot is, "Allow yourself to be bad at something long enough to become good at it." (I'm not saying you're bad, but it's a good message)
  • ashfittisashfittis Posts: 221Member
    thank you Michael !
    also she told to try and imitate other peoples voices
  • Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 693STREAMING PRO
    edited November 2018
    What Ken says is to try to start off emulating others voices and then eventually integrate that into your own unique style, or your voice.

What Ken says is to try to start off emulating others voices and then eventual integrate that into your own unique style, or your voice.

yes they wanted me to sound like some one else
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,551Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @ashfittis,

I think that @Michael4000 is absolutely right: you have a very nice voice.

And I go with Michael quoting Ken, who says: "You can only find you own voice when you tried to emulate other voices." - So I would suggest that you proceed the path you already took. And, I think, you progressed very well. Your last recordings show that you really made great progress.

May I ask where you are from?

Regards,
    Doc
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 820Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    hello @ashfittis I agree with @highmtn my family didn´t want me to become a musician either, neither I could sing, if you would call what i did "sinigng" but after some years, when they saw I was serious they decided to support me.

Just like Bob said, It´s a very hard career and to make a living it usually takes more than "I just wanna sing" or "I just wanna play", "I just wanna write music" I know I used to say that a LOT, and all my friends that are musicians said that too, but the problem is that being a musician/singer usually falls in the category of "rockstar" why? because thats what people aim for, and people think: "I wanna do what these people do", and what do you see them do? they drink, party , drugs etc, etc. your mom probably is afraid of that and she should, because this business is full of that, but that´s NOT what gets you to the top or to make a living in music, neither knowing famous people or participating in the Voice (which I did in my country btw, so im not just talking) (and this will answer the question can anyone sing? because I couldn´t sing on pitch and after a lot of study I participated at the Voice Mexico, so it can be done)

The real deal is just like in any other career, if you want to be a Doctor you have to prepare yourself to be Doctor, if you want to be a Lawyer you have to prepare for that, if you wanna be Karate or Gymnast or an artist of any genere, you have to prepare for that, train for it, go to a school, or teacher, or really know how to study by yourself and take it seriously, Lionel Messi is a very talented football player probably the best in the world, but he needed to train, go with coaches, its not just "oh he was born with a talent" he had to be disciplined just like any other professional

now, what do all these people I mentioned have in common? they prepared to be professionals

thats the goal, if you train, study to be a professional in any area you will probably do it for the rest of your life, and that´s the goal, and maybe you´ll make a living, music business is very hard, I would say harder than many other careers

still with all this is gonna be hard but you are gonna aim better, and you´ll get to where you want to get
    again, there are tons of distractions in music, but always remember that but discipline is what gets you to the next level.

here are a couple of videos where I would start from do them every day imitate Ken as much as you can, take notes and study, you will get there if you have the discipline :)

Gaston

Hi @ashfittis,

I think that @Michael4000 is absolutely right: you have a very nice voice.

And I go with Michael quoting Ken, who says: "You can only find you own voice when you tried to emulate other voices." - So I would suggest that you proceed the path you already took. And, I think, you progressed very well. Your last recordings show that you really made great progress.

May I ask where you are from?

Regards,
    Doc

im from northern ireland and thank you i think im getting better slowly but surely

hello @ashfittis I agree with @highmtn my family didn´t want me to become a musician either, neither I could sing, if you would call what i did "sinigng" but after some years, when they saw I was serious they decided to support me.

Just like Bob said, It´s a very hard career and to make a living it usually takes more than "I just wanna sing" or "I just wanna play", "I just wanna write music" I know I used to say that a LOT, and all my friends that are musicians said that too, but the problem is that being a musician/singer usually falls in the category of "rockstar" why? because thats what people aim for, and people think: "I wanna do what these people do", and what do you see them do? they drink, party , drugs etc, etc. your mom probably is afraid of that and she should, because this business is full of that, but that´s NOT what gets you to the top or to make a living in music, neither knowing famous people or participating in the Voice (which I did in my country btw, so im not just talking) (and this will answer the question can anyone sing? because I couldn´t sing on pitch and after a lot of study I participated at the Voice Mexico, so it can be done)

The real deal is just like in any other career, if you want to be a Doctor you have to prepare yourself to be Doctor, if you want to be a Lawyer you have to prepare for that, if you wanna be Karate or Gymnast or an artist of any genere, you have to prepare for that, train for it, go to a school, or teacher, or really know how to study by yourself and take it seriously, Lionel Messi is a very talented football player probably the best in the world, but he needed to train, go with coaches, its not just "oh he was born with a talent" he had to be disciplined just like any other professional

now, what do all these people I mentioned have in common? they prepared to be professionals

thats the goal, if you train, study to be a professional in any area you will probably do it for the rest of your life, and that´s the goal, and maybe you´ll make a living, music business is very hard, I would say harder than many other careers

still with all this is gonna be hard but you are gonna aim better, and you´ll get to where you want to get
    again, there are tons of distractions in music, but always remember that but discipline is what gets you to the next level.

here are a couple of videos where I would start from do them every day imitate Ken as much as you can, take notes and study, you will get there if you have the discipline :)

Gaston

thanks i agree with you
  • VocalityVocality Posts: 3962.0 PRO
    I like like your voice lot potential there yes some minor pitch problems but really good well done.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,551Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @ashfittis,

cool, so you are one of us who want to stay in the EU? :smiley:

You have been advised by very experienced members of the forum(s). And they gave you really good tipps. The videos they mentioned are very good - more than that - platinum information, if you are willing to listen closely. Meanwhile, I noticed that Ken choses several descriptions on purpose.

I think I am quite older than you - I am 48. I had many dreams for my life. Some of them were fulfilled - some of them not. The ones that were fulfilled became fulfilled because of me working on them. So, if you want to become a singer I would suggest:

- Try to get reliable informations (with KTVA you got to the right place)
    - make an exercise plan (what do you want to practice)
    - practice at least 5 to 6 days a week
    - make "I want to learn how to sing" the focus of your life: listen to songs on the radio very carefully, learn how to read sheet music, train your voice regularly, ..

Regards, Doc
    Vocality said:

I like like your voice lot potential there yes some minor pitch problems but really good well done.

thank you!
  • CalwynCalwyn Posts: 42.0 ENROLLED
    Hi @ashfittis

There is a load of great advice there, but the one piece of advice that is missing is this:

I have read several of your posts and I notice a common message... you THINK you are RUBBISH.

If there is one thing I have learned in life it is that positivity and confidence have a massive effect on what you will and won't achieve. If YOU think that you are rubbish then you will progress at a slower rate because you don't believe that you are capable. Be positive and confident and know that you can do this you are improving and you will reach your goals.

I am personally at the very beginning of my journey to being a singer and your current standard is a distant target.

Calwyn
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,430Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Good post, @Calwyn. True words. We have to stop beating ourselves up if we want to improve. Encourage others, and encourage yourself.
    edited December 2018
    Hello Ashleigh, @ashfittis

I should slap myself. I should be ashamed that my brain has not found the link to this discussion when I recommended you to do some scales in your last post. "Marco, slap, you should take a closer look before you write something."

Sorry for that,

Doc

PS.: Thanks Bob, that pulled up that one again.