Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Fog Horn Phenomenon

LinaLina Posts: 302.0 PRO
For some reason, when I am in mixed voice and descending a scale, there are one or two notes, which on the way up, did not cause any trouble, but on the way down my voice either "collapses" to the note below ie, or sounds like a fog horn--with very little strength or clarity.
My question is, should I stop right there and keep going over the fog horn note until it become bright and stronger, or continue on with the rest of the exercises and get back to it the next time I do the vocal workout? Very frustrating!

Thank you!

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 606Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    @Lina by what im understanding is that you are losing brightness on a descending passage and that´s something you dont want, so make sure you are very bright on the descending passage, meaning if you are saying "Ah" dont go Aaaaaaooooooo, you have to do
    A A A A A A A A
    C B A G F E D C

this means you have to THINK of the vowel every note you are singing

second support the whole scale dont release to make sure its not that

third something that helps think of a constant laser beam going out of your head to the roof this will also help you keep the sound bright
  • LinaLina Posts: 302.0 PRO
    Thank you ,Gaston--will try those tips during practice today!
  • victortangvictortang Posts: 712.0 PRO
    I have the same problem as Lina. Good to know I am not alone. Can it be because by the time we have ascended, the nervous system (and perhaps mental concentration) has become a little fatigue? I say this because when I tried descending WITHOUT ascending, it seems much easier.
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,754Pro, 2.0 PRO
    @victortang I used to have that problem also, but in my particular case (it may be different for you, and others) it was my breath support. When I made it to the top of the scale, I wouldn't concentrate as much on support descending thinking the hard part is over so I can relax now, and in doing that, some of the notes would break up, and I would lose brightness on the way down.

So now I keep my support strong from beginning note to the very last, and no more problems

Peace, Tony
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 4612.0 PRO
    Tony ( @videoace ),

I am am trumpet player for 40 years now. I thought that I knew what diaphragmatic support means. Diaphragmatic support on singing is a totally different thing. I have never imagined how much support it needs to withstand the scales staying in chest or bridging.

When I saw Victor's video singing AC/DC I thought: "Wow, this nice aussie guy is great. He has so much vocal agility in his voice, but he lacks support. And, ohh, he is do that distortion. Hopefully he does not hurt his voice.". And than he posted this impressing video where he lifted that heavy-looking dumbbell while singing and thought: "Marco, hold your horses, he is such a cool guy, he knows what he is doing. Do not make a fool of giving someone like him a hint. He seems to be great.".

And Victor is far ahead of where I am. But I think (hint, hint, hint) if Victor would upload a basic LAH scale, he is on Volume 3, we could give him better advice.

Victor ( @Victortang ), give US a try.

Marco
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,754Pro, 2.0 PRO
    I don't consider conveying my own personal issues with the same problem to be "foolish" at all.

Peace.
    @victortang it could be, I had this same issue, in my personal view this has a lot to do with being really well placed on top and sometimes letting the note fall without support or both
    still would be great if you guys posted this scale so we can check it out and see if its what I think it is
    edited December 9

@victortang it could be, I had this same issue, in my personal view this has a lot to do with being really well placed on top and sometimes letting the note fall without support or both

Tony ( @videoace ),

I am am trumpet player for 40 years now. I thought that I knew what diaphragmatic support means. Diaphragmatic support on singing is a totally different thing. I have never imagined how much support it needs to withstand the scales staying in chest or bridging.

When I saw Victor's video singing AC/DC I thought: "Wow, this nice aussie guy is great. He has so much vocal agility in his voice, but he lacks support. And, ohh, he is do that distortion. Hopefully he does not hurt his voice.". And than he posted this impressing video where he lifted that heavy-looking dumbbell while singing and thought: "Marco, hold your horses, he is such a cool guy, he knows what he is doing. Do not make a fool of giving someone like him a hint. He seems to be great.".

And Victor is far ahead of where I am. But I think (hint, hint, hint) if Victor would upload a basic LAH scale, he is on Volume 3, we could give him better advice.

Victor ( @Victortang ), give US a try.

Marco

Hi Marco, I hear you! Appreciate your enthusiasm to advice, and your concern for my vocal health. I will be taking private one-to-one with Ken. Have booked my first Skype, and will want to go to him personally for more soon. As Ken clearly reiterates in his videos, only take advice from people who have demonstrated certain qualities and qualifications.

My one and only objective for sharing those videos was to let others know what i think of this new teacher I have found! Ken is the teacher - not anyone else. I like the way Bob cautions me. He does not in one moment assumes to teach or advice. This, to me, is showing respect to our Teacher Ken Tamplin. I respect that.

By reading what Bob has written, I feel that i have a lot to learn from him. And the first thing I am learning is NOT to assume that i know a lot, and try to give anyone any advice.

By the way, I have not learnt about compression. My AC/DC was a fun thing. And that what this is - fun!

Hi Vcitor, @victortang

It is good that you hear me - am I speaking to loud? ha, ha, ha! - And I absolutely understand that you did the AC/DC video for fun. It was great entertainment. Even more was the one where you lifted the dumbbell. May you tell me how heavy it was? - My two boys (2 out of 4 kids) were speechless. Me, too.

Victor, you are amazing. Good that you are seeking lessons with Ken. Man, today's livestream was aweseome.

Doc
    The barbell is an interesting experience! It wasn't heavy - only 30kg. Please don't think I am bragging, but that is a weight i can easily repeat for 20 repetitions. However, being (relatively) light as it was (for me), it was terribly hard to hold that last note! I made 3-4 total hours of at least 20 repeats of that 1.5 min song before I got it right!!!! It was always that last note ".....ALL....."
    Did you get Kens last livestream? It was awesome. He was telling so many stories. A very good one.