Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

I'm considering the program but . . .

I've had a chance to listen to some of KTVA program (via a friend, who no longer sings) and there's something that stuck out to me immediately. In many of these exercises Ken goes into head voice and that has me thinking: Since I can't do a connected solid head voice (beginner), and the program doesn't get to head voice until much later, what do I do with the bulk of head voice material meanwhile? By watching his stuff on youtube (and a little in the program) it's clear he want's us to build a solid chest voice before getting into head, but in the excises he definitely makes use of head, very often, and it requires a solid head connection to finish some of these exercises. It just seems strange to me that you seemingly have to know how do it, yet have to wait until the program gets into teaching head voice to actually do it. Volume 2, track 22 dudes, is great example of what I'm talking about. I'm simply not going to able to do such an exercise without knowing how to execute a solid head voice first, so how would I ever move forward?

What am I not getting?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu Posts: 4982.0 PRO
    This is going to be difficult to answer because you are outside the student area of the forums, and you won't really have a way to access the student areas unless you buy the course.

With that said let me try to tip toe around this to give you an answer that might encourage you to look into buying the course.

The course is designed such that you come to it with what you have. I myself had absolutely zero head voice, but because of what I learned in the course I was able to build that head voice. The course is as Ken says it is, a step by step guide to how to properly sing. There are many layers that need to be built to have a solid singing voice and the course covers each of these in turn. It is important that when you come to the course that you commit to doing the course as it is laid out. It is a bit of a leap of faith that you will get to the other side and have accomplished the feat of learning to sing. There are many testimonials that you can see (on the YouTube channel) and also that you can't see (in the student areas) to the fact that the course as it is laid out works.

If you come to the course with per-determined ideas you are going to have a hard time. If you follow the course as outlined you are going to get what Ken promises.

I hope that is enough information to help you understand how the course works. I am sorry I am not really able to answer your specific question, but suffice it to say that the course does address what you are asking about and provides specific steps to dealing with it.

Luck on your singing journey.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,868Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    To answer a part of your question, the manual for Volume 1 tells you that on Day One you will be singing and bridging into head voice. You will also be singing and stretching your chest voice. On day one. And you will be doing both of those things for a long time. Eventually you will reach a point where you will be ready to move to a different gear of head voice. But that doesn't happen on day one. On day one you just bridge into vanilla head voice like you always have, or learn to do so on that day. There are many things to master before you go to reinforced head voice.
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,754Pro, 2.0 PRO
    If you're serious about learning to sing, end the mystery. Get the course.

I've been a musician for 43 years, and this course was the best investment I've had musically in 20 years.

Peace, Tony
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 606Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    edited December 7
    @FrensieTeuling personally I couldn´t do head voice or mix before this program I could belt fairly high but my voice would get tired very quick, when I started the course my head voice was completely atrophied because I never used it, so it has been a journey but I did ALL the programs before that, SLS, Both Brett manning and Seth Riggs version which are the same just Brett manning goes down in the scales and Seth only goes up, that means more cds, Mark Baxter´Singer´s survival manual, Roger Love´s Set your voice free, Robert Lunte´s Pillars of singing, Melissa Cross´s Zen of screaming, Musicians Institute Rock vocals and vocal technique etc etc etc, with this im not gonna say SOME of the info of this programs you´ll find might make you feel some progress, you´ll have to figure out what works and what does not by your self and still you wont find the WHOLE THING even buying all those programs together, they are Way way way far from KTVA program, and I know I sound like a sales man, hahaha

1 they dont show you correct support if they happen to show any
    2 they dont show you open throat technique
    Which will develop the growth of your voice
    3 the way speech level singing works and any of the programs above will atrophy your voice with time, because if you happen to have your passaggio developed, your voice will weaken as you age and the strength and coordination of sls is not enough to sustain it as you age, the voice will atrophy and its gonna be even harder to recover it, this means its not even beneficial to the voice long term!
    4 because of the system has a lack of support your voice will never grow as it should , so you wont be able to Belt and any register will grow as it should and wont know how to maintain the the vocal tract open in hard vowel transitions or hard Consonants

5 they dont show you vowel modifications and will again close your space as you go higher and will not be able to maintain correctly in one register or bridge correctly without sounding pinched and btw that also hurts your voice

I would NOT recommend any other program to anyone
    ONLY KTVA
    case closed

hope I was of help
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 13,868Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    I bought every one of the programs that Gaston listed plus more. They were all a waste of time and money. Then I found KTVA and haven't looked back since. KTVA was neither a waste of time nor money. It was a great investment in myself. My regret is that I sat on the fence for so long before pulling the trigger and buying it. That was all time I could have been making actual progress.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 4612.0 PRO
    My best investment ever - too! It just works PERIOD
  • FrensieTeulingFrensieTeuling Posts: 2Member
    videoace said:

If you're serious about learning to sing, end the mystery. Get the course.

I am serious, that's why I'm asking questions and being very careful with how I start. Bad habits are a pain, it's best to start with good habits. This goes for anything worth doing imo.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been busy taking a look/trying out all my options, other programs. I also went back to my friends to take a closer look at Ken's program, my friend gave it to me to keep as I was on my way out, warm hugs were exchanged. It turns out this is an older program of Ken's and he does, as highmtn says, have you bridging into head right from the start, though he doesn't go into detail how exactly. Skipping ahead, just to look, apparently it's something I'll grow in time, details withheld, it's quite the puzzle to me at the moment. He also does tell you when you're ready to move on, that's good to know. He gives me permission, for lack of a better word, to move on, otherwise my perfectionism would keep me at volume 1 forever, hence my first post. The point is I get how the program works now.

After the Holidays I have to look into seeing what's different in 2.0 and consider supporting Ken's work, plus the value of forum access which I imagine is helpful, and more open to discussion. I'll get started for the time being.

On Diaphragmatic breathing, I'm off to a good start on this one because this is just how I breath normally and I have most of my life. I learned this early on in life, I had to for reasons I rather not discuss here, and it's since become the most natural thing to me. I don't know how to breath with my chest anymore. I've also built up pretty strong support, sucking my stomach in and out as part my decades long ab workout routines, though this is slightly different, it's coming really easy to me.

Since it stood out so much, about the Four Pillars of singing, all the sign language, terminology, ect, that guy is just silly. I do like his song on his youtube channel though. I won't say anything else about his program, except that I felt like I was fighting on my own tongue trying out some of those exercises. ;)

If you can't tell yet, I've settled on Ken's method. Out of all the ones I could test out/look into, it feels the best to me, the most natural. That said, I'm also considering a real life vocal coach, at least from time to time, to help me when I get stuck.

Thanks again,

Teuling
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 4612.0 PRO
    Hi @FrensieTeuling,

so take you time to decide. Personally, I would be happy to be able to welcome you here as a fellow student one day.

Doc
  • videoacevideoace Posts: 1,754Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Hey Teuling,

Yes, I can tell that I will be seeing you here shortly as a student.

I did the same before coming here. I spent about 6 months researching other programs, coaches, etc......, and this course was the clear choice as I'm sure you are also seeing.

All I can tell you is that the course actually does what it advertises, and with that........I'll be seeing you shortly my friend.

Peace, Tony
  • bentkbentk Posts: 1,029Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Just wanted to come here and say that KTVA is awesome. I haven't been through all these other courses, but there is no need. Everything is explained in KTVA. You will learn amazing technique, but it takes a lot of effort and time. It doesn't come overnight.

Everything in KTVA is explained and demonstrated. Loads of students also show off their ability to sing after working with KTVA. It's not about sounding exactly like Ken, it's about having amazing technique and tone. Which you can clearly here from his students as well.

So this is the thing i like the most with KTVA. There is pretty much no stone unturned. Plus, the forum is an amazing place for whenever you need help/want to read more/participate in discussion etc. I highly recommend it.

It's great to hear you settled on this method. I hope you stick with it and gain just as much from it, and even more, than i did.

All the best,

Ben