Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

With distortion vs no distortion

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 833Administrator, 2.0 PRO, hidden_admin
    Dear Ashleigh, @ashfittis,

I am Marco, I am 48 years old and I am from Germany. I am on the course for 5 months now. I think this is the first time that I join a discussion opened by you. But I have read 100+ and saw how Bob was answering you over and over. You joined this forum for a good reason, I think. You want learn how to sing. That was the reason for me, too.

At let me say this: you have a very wonderful, nice and warm timbre in your voice. I heard it several times and I can hear it here in the version where you tried distortion.

We have here @Diego in the forum. He is a very nice guy from Honduras. Maybe he can join this discussion. He posted and posted and posted and posted demos. With every demo he awesomely got better. There was one that blew me away:

http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/10267/opera-2-dimash-vitas-cover/

I asked him: "Diego, how did you get there, you are not on the course and you are already singing crazy things like this?" - He told me: "I did the exercises Ken is giving away for free. I used Kens free videos." - @ashfittis, isn't that amazing?

I have a suggestion, Ashleigh:

You have been uploading song by song and Bob is giving you so good feedback. But to grow the voice only on singing songs is nearly impossible. There come so many things together and as a student you should reduce the complexity to be able to focus on the things you should work on. You need to know which exercises you have to do. Ken has a ton of free videos out there for free. And as Diego shows (he managed to join the course several days ago), it is absolutely possible to reach a considerable (in case of Diego: amazing) singing level with doing Kens free videos.

Maybe you could upload just some simple scales and I, probably Bob and hopefully Diego will be giving you feedback. It would be best to start on the golden LAH (AH) Ken talks so often about. This is really the only vowel that will help to grow your voice. Maybe you want to take a free video of Ken where he offers you to sing with him and record yourself just singing LAH. Up and down the scale. That would be of great help for us to give you helpful advice. You possibly can not know, yet, what can be heard from that simple scale.

I would be very happy to give you some advice on a scale you uploaded.

May I ask where you are from? - I am from a small village near Ulm, a town in the south of Germany.

Kind Regards,
    Doc (Marco)
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 5522.0 PRO
    @doc_ramadani Thanks for the kind words doc!
    @ashfittis I think you can definitely develop a very goos voice. You have a good potential. I recommend one video which is one of Ken's called '' Vocal Warmup Exercises- Daily Vocal Warm Ups. '' it helps a lot.
    edited December 2018
    Ashleigh, I think Diego is absolutely wrong:
    Diego said:

I think you can definitely develop a very goos voice.

I am sorry to tell you that you won't be able to develop a goos(e) voice. But I am absolutely with him if he meant that you could develop a good voice. :smile:

Spelling mistakes offer so many chances.

Doc
    edited December 2018
    @ashfittis and @Diego:

The Humals are a small nation of wooden dolls. All wooden dolls were made by the woodcarver Godis. His full name is Godis L. You. His workshop was on the hill above the town. Every Humal was different. Some had big noses, others had big eyes. Some were big and some were small. Some wore hats, others coats. But all had been made by the same woodcarver and all lived around town.

All day, every day, the Humals did the same thing: they stuck stickers on each other. Each Humal had a box of golden stars and another with grey dots. Throughout the city, people did nothing but sticking stars or dots to each other. The beautiful, whose wood was very smooth and whose colors shone, always got stars. But if the wood was rough and the paint was already peeling off, then the Humals awarded dots. Those who could do great things also got stars. Some could lift big dumbells over their heads or jump over tall boxes. Others knew difficult words, like hypertension, or could sing beautifully, like Ken, or were brave knights with swords in their hands. Everyone gave them stars. Some Humals had stars everywhere! Whenever they got a star, they felt good! Then they wanted to do something new to get a star again.

Others could do very little. - They got dots. Ashlon was one of them. She tried to jump as high as the others, but she always fell. And when she fell, the others came and gave her dots. Sometimes her wood scratched when she fell, then she got even more dots. When she tried to explain why she had fallen, she said something stupid and the Humals gave her dots again. After a while she had so many dots that she did not want to go outside anymore and show her face. She was afraid that she would do anything stupid, forget her hat, or step into a puddle. And then she would get dots again. She already had so many grey dots that the others came and gave her more grey dots for no reason.

"She deserves the many dots", the other wooden dolls agreed. - "She is not a good wooden doll". After a while, Ashlon believed what the others said. "I'm a bad Humal," she said. If she went outside, he stayed with the other Humals who also had many dots. She felt better when she was with them.

One day she met a Humal boy who was very different from everyone else. He had no stars or dots. He was just made of wood. His name was Dieso. It was not because the others did not want put stickers on him. The stickers just did not hold. Some Humals admired Dieso because he had no dots. They ran to him to give him stars. But the stars felt off. Others looked down on him because he had no stars. They wanted to give him dots. But also the dots fell off. That's what I want to be, thought Ashlon. I do not want anyone to put stickers on me. So she asked the Humal boy without a sticker how he did it. "That's easy," Dieso replied. "I visit Godis every day". - "Godis?" - "Yes, Godis, the woodcarver, I am sitting with him in the workshop". - "Why?" - "Why do not you find out yourself? Just go up the hill, he's here." With that, Dieso turned around and hopped off. "But does he even want to see me?" exclaimed Ashlon. Dieso did not hear her anymore. Ashlon went home. She sat by the window and watched the others running around outside, sticking stars or dots.

"That's wrong," she said to herself. And she decided to visit Godis. She walked the narrow path up the hill and entered the large workshop. Her wooden eyes widened when she saw how big everything was. The stool was as big as her. She had to stand on tiptoes to look at the work table. The hammer was as long as her arm. Ashlon swallowed.

"I'm not staying here!", She turned to the door. Then she heard her name. - "Ashlon?" The voice was deep and strong. - Ashlon stopped. "Ashleigh, how nice that you are here, come here and have a look." - Ashlon turned slowly and looked at the big bearded craftsman. "You know my name?" little Ashlon asked. - "Of course I know it, I made you." Godis bent down, picked her up and set her on the table.

"Hmm," the woodcarver said thoughtfully when he saw the grey dots. "It looks like you got bad marks." "I did not want that Godis, I tried everything." "You do not have to defend yourself, kid, I do not care what the other Humals think." "Really?" - "Yes, and you should not care, too. Who are they to give stars or dots, they are Humals, just like you. What they think is unimportant, Ashleigh, it's only important what I think. And I think, Ashleigh you are unique."

Ashlon laughed. "I can not run fast, I can not jump high, my color peels of. I can not sing like Ken. Why am I so important to you?". Godis looked at Ashlon, put his hands on the narrow wooden shoulders and said very slowly, "Because you belong to me, so you are important to me." Never had anyone looked at Ashlon like that - certainly not her creator. She did not know what to say. "Everyday I hoped you would come," Godis explained.

"I came because I met someone who has no stickers," said Ashlon. - "Dieso, I know, he has already told me about you". - "Why don't the stickers stick on him?" - The Woodcarver spoke softly, "Because he has decided that what I think is more important than what others think, the stickers stick only when you let them." ... "What?" "... The stickers stick only when they are important to you, the more you trust my love, the less the stickers will mean to you." - "I do not think I understand that." Godis smiled: "It takes a while, you have a lot of stickers, just come to me everyday so I can remind you how important you are to me. "

Godis picked up Ashlon from his desk and set her on the floor. "Remember" Godis said as the Humal walked through the door. "You are unique Ashleigh, because I made you, and I do not make mistakes." Ashlon did not stop, but in her heart she thought, I think he really means this. And when she thought that, a sticker fell to the floor.

Originally by Max Lucado, adapted for Ashleigh and Diego

Ashleigh, I think Diego is absolutely wrong:

Diego said:

I think you can definitely develop a very goos voice.

I am sorry to tell you that you won't be able to develop a goos(e) voice. But I am absolutely with him if he meant that you could develop a good voice. :smile:

Spelling mistakes offer so many chances.

Doc
    lmao doc! Oops! I did mean good voice!

@ashfittis and @Diego:

The Humals are a small nation of wooden dolls. All wooden dolls were made by the woodcarver Godis. His full name is Godis L. You. His workshop was on the hill above the town. Every Humal was different. Some had big noses, others had big eyes. Some were big and some were small. Some wore hats, others coats. But all had been made by the same woodcarver and all lived around town.

All day, every day, the Humals did the same thing: they stuck stickers on each other. Each Humal had a box of golden stars and another with grey dots. Throughout the city, people did nothing but sticking stars or dots to each other. The beautiful, whose wood was very smooth and whose colors shone, always got stars. But if the wood was rough and the paint was already peeling off, then the Humals awarded dots. Those who could do great things also got stars. Some could lift big dumbells over their heads or jump over tall boxes. Others knew difficult words, like hypertension, or could sing beautifully, like Ken, or were brave knights with swords in their hands. Everyone gave them stars. Some Humals had stars everywhere! Whenever they got a star, they felt good! Then they wanted to do something new to get a star again.

Others could do very little. - They got dots. Ashlon was one of them. She tried to jump as high as the others, but she always fell. And when she fell, the others came and gave her dots. Sometimes her wood scratched when she fell, then she got even more dots. When she tried to explain why she had fallen, she said something stupid and the Humals gave her dots again. After a while she had so many dots that she did not want to go outside anymore and show her face. She was afraid that she would do anything stupid, forget her hat, or step into a puddle. And then she would get dots again. She already had so many grey dots that the others came and gave her more grey dots for no reason.

"She deserves the many dots", the other wooden dolls agreed. - "She is not a good wooden doll". After a while, Ashlon believed what the others said. "I'm a bad Humal," she said. If she went outside, he stayed with the other Humals who also had many dots. She felt better when she was with them.

One day she met a Humal boy who was very different from everyone else. He had no stars or dots. He was just made of wood. His name was Dieso. It was not because the others did not want put stickers on him. The stickers just did not hold. Some Humals admired Dieso because he had no dots. They ran to him to give him stars. But the stars felt off. Others looked down on him because he had no stars. They wanted to give him dots. But also the dots fell off. That's what I want to be, thought Ashlon. I do not want anyone to put stickers on me. So she asked the Humal boy without a sticker how he did it. "That's easy," Dieso replied. "I visit Godis every day". - "Godis?" - "Yes, Godis, the woodcarver, I am sitting with him in the workshop". - "Why?" - "Why do not you find out yourself? Just go up the hill, he's here." With that, Dieso turned around and hopped off. "But does he even want to see me?" exclaimed Ashlon. Dieso did not hear her anymore. Ashlon went home. She sat by the window and watched the others running around outside, sticking stars or dots.

"That's wrong," she said to herself. And she decided to visit Godis. See walked the narrow path up the hill and entered the large workshop. Her wooden eyes widened when she saw how big everything was. The stool was as big as her. She had to stand on tiptoes to look at the work table. The hammer was as long as her arm. Ashlon swallowed.

"I'm not staying here!", She turned to the door. Then she heard her name. - "Ashlon?" The voice was deep and strong. - Ashlon stopped. "Ashleigh, how nice that you are here, come here and have a look." - Ashlon turned slowly and looked at the big bearded craftsman. "You know my name?" little Ashlon asked. - "Of course I know it, I made you." Godis bent down, picked her up and set her on the table.

"Hmm," the woodcarver said thoughtfully when he saw the grey dots. "It looks like you got bad marks." "I did not want that Godis, I tried everything." "You do not have to defend yourself, kid, I do not care what the other Humals think." "Really?" - "Yes, and you should not care, too. Who are they to give stars or dots, they are Humals, just like you. What they think is unimportant, Ashleigh, it's only important what I think. And I think, Ashleigh you are unique."

Ashlon laughed. "I can not run fast, I can not jump high, my color peels of. I can not sing like Ken. Why am I so important to you?". Godis looked at Ashlon, put his hands on the narrow wooden shoulders and said very slowly, "Because you belong to me, so you are important to me." Never had anyone looked at Ashlon like that - certainly not her creator. She did not know what to say. "Everyday I hoped you would come," Godis explained.

"I came because I met someone who has no stickers," said Ashlon. - "Dieso, I know, he has already told me about you". - "Why don't the stickers stick on him?" - The Woodcarver spoke softly, "Because he has decided that what I think is more important than what others think, the stickers stick only when you let them." ... "What?" "... The stickers stick only when they are important to you, the more you trust my love, the less the stickers will mean to you." - "I do not think I understand that." Godis smiled: "It takes a while, you have a lot of stickers, just come to me everyday so I can remind you how important you are to me. "

Godis picked up Ashlon from his desk and set her on the floor. "Remember" Godis said as the Humal walked through the door. "You are unique Ashleigh, because I made you, and I do not make mistakes." Ashlon did not stop, but in her heart she thought, I think he really means this. And when she thought that, a sticker fell to the floor.

Originally by Max Lucado, adapted for Ashleigh and Diego

Wow! What and interesting story!
    Cool!
    edited December 2018
    Yes @Diego, spelling mistakes open so many chances.