Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

I wanna stop straining on high notes

Hello

I need help with a song Open Arms by Journey. When he comes to the chorus he slides from an A4 to a B4 and when i try to do that my voice cracks. If i do it in head voice it sounds less powerful. How do i pronounce the vowels correct so i dont have to strain?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,112
    It's not just the pronunciation of words that keep you from straining on notes. There are many techniques that go into singing. Is there a particular spot in the chorus that you are having trouble with, or the whole chorus?

Peace
    For the word "come" try singing it: "So now I cahm (ahhhhh like at the Dr.)

For the word open, you can soften it by using a B to replace the P.

Try that, and see how that works.

Peace
    Try relaxing more, and ease into the high notes. Right now you're trying to ram the sound against your throat, and the result isn't pretty, and can be painful so please, take it easy.

Songs like that you have to work slow. Line by line. They are difficult to do. That's why those guys make the big bucks lol.

Just take it easy, and relax the sound. It's really tense, and intense right now. Relax................

Peace
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,488Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Simpan, you are really struggling and straining with this. Your whole approach to this song is incorrect. You really need to learn Ken Tamplin's methods. They would help you to come at this in an entirely different way.

The problem is that you seem to be self-taught. You can reach some high notes just by brute force. But brute force is the last thing that will work on a song like this. To strain on this song defeats the purpose of a love ballad like this. You don't shout it at your lover, you serenade them in tones that are easily within your grasp.

This is no easy song to pull off, either. I've tried muscling through this song, and sounded no better. Since then, I have learned to ease my way into songs like this. If I haven't yet learned ease and relaxation on those notes, then it's just out of my reach for the moment. You're right that singing this in head voice will sound weak. What you need is a mix voice that will accommodate both strong and tender notes, without blasting at all.

Bob
    Of course! The reason I posted the video was just to show you how relaxed her voice is. She's not pushing too hard, straining, or singing too loud. Just a nice soft vocal. Think soft, not so hard.

Peace
    Yeah, you do Bruce Dickinson better. You have like an operatic viking type voice if you know what I mean. It's hard to put into words. Your voice is very unique.

Peace