Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Performing in a singing competition final while being sick

For those who may want to hear of a real life experience with singing while being sick. Here it is.

I have been fighting a cold for the last 4-5 days. Long story short, I took every bit of advice Ken gave in his youtube video (below link) except getting a nebulizer. At it's worst, I was having a sore throat and sneezing about 800 times a day. When I wake up in the morning, I felt like singing will not happen for the next 6 months!!! Horrible. This was the first time I caught a cold in at least 25 years....TRUE!!!.

Anyway, today is my BIG day. I got into the final contest after the heats and semi finals etc weeks ago....

Guess what, I am now typing this at 745am, and feeling like crap. Nose running, throat itching, voice sounding like ....well, like an unwell person. But I know that after I go through the warm ups, the tumeric drink and the glutathione, I will handle this singing contest like (almost) nothing had happened.

The truth is, I will be 85% of what I should be. But hey, without all that stuff that Ken taught in that video, I would be 30%!!! True!! In fact, yesterday, after warming up twice (1-2 hours each time, taking my time, resting in between exercises), I was told i sounded the best I have ever sounded.

The performance I have prepared is going to be very challenging. A medley of 3 songs with very different voice registers. NEW YORK NEW YORK (chest voice mainly below the primo passagio). IS THIS LOVE Bob Marley (A higher register that will hit the primo passagio and above), then HIGHWAY TO HELL (hitting the Secondo Passagio and above, using distortion and head voice and mix voice...)

To transit from one song to the other of those nature, will be challenging as the muscles may get caught. The Larynx has a lot of work to do. From a lowered position, I will have to negotiate my way to an appropriately high position. All the time with an open throat. To make things "worse", I will be controlling my excitement while strategically modifying vowels and putting special attention upon certain consanents to make sure my open throat is maintained from one vowel to another.

No one told me 4 and a half minutes can be so complicated!!!

Damn it! It all sounds too daunting. I think I might just stay at home!!! Hahaha....just kidding.

ANYWAYS....Thanks to Ken! I think if i become wealthy I will make a bronze life size statue of Ken Tamplin!!! No, make that Gold.

I will post a video of my performance here later on.....

Comments

• victortangvictortang Posts: 4732.0 PRO
    edited March 2
    it is now 8:10am, I am warming up ever so gently using Volume 2, with a very low volume, and getting into head voice earlier than I normally would. The point to wake up the voice 60%. Focusing on open throat, and vowel modification, and basically WAKING UP.

Then at around 1030 am-11am, I will start doing Volume 3 softly and entering head voice before my primo passagio (around f#). In other words, even though i may be able to use a full voice at around E4, I will deliberately use by beegees head voice. By exercise 15, I should be so warmed up that I will have to resist leaning into the voice....softly and gently.

Softly and gently so far.

I will drive to the venue at about 1pm. The show starts at 2:30pm. I will do a full voice Volume 3 in my car starting around 1:30pm. Ideally I perform no more than 30 min after the Volume 3 exercises, and no les than 15 minutes. My experience is that my voice is at its best between 15-30 min after a full voice Volume 3.

I do not intend to rehearse my song(s) as I am 100% confident with them. But there will be a bit of (surprise) costume change on stage that I will have to do all by myself....should be ok (i hope!).

• VocalityVocality Posts: 4132.0 PRO
    edited March 3
    @victortang

Hope it went well and thats sounds a complicated warm up sequrence suppose you gotta be extra carefull when warming up with a cold.

Look forward to seeing and hearing your performance.

George
    edited March 3
    Please do be aware for yourself - Firstly this much work is normal to me. So it is ok. Also I am waking up the voice as gently as I can.

I am at this moment at exercise 9 of volume. Done softly. Volume 2 was completed gently.

My voice is now is really smooth and the passagio is simply nice and smooth. Right now, even my speaking voice is better than normal!!

Note: I had a gym member ask me "Are yo sick" when she heard my speaking voice at 8:30am. It is nearly 11am, I did the volume 2 and am doing Volume 3 SOFTLY.

edited March 3
    Change of plans. I am stopping at ex 15 of Volume 3. My voice is at a peak right NOW!!! I sang my song(s) and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. So I am quitting while I am ahead. Later on, before going on stage, I will continue ex 16....
    @victortang

Still on volume 1 and not looked at the other volumes yet until I am ready, it's great that you have worked through a cold to get your voice ready to go, invaluable advice bit annoying for it to happen before on stage and I guess thats part of being proffessional we all have to deal with those issues from time to time.

George
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,583Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @victortang,

your great day - some times I hate this time shift thing - so I missed the "being live" character. How did it go?

Doc
    @Vocality I just arrived home..... I won! YAY! But I feel bad. The category was "senior" - above 15 years of age!!!! I am old enough to be a few of the contestants' grandpa!!! There is a $500 prize and I felt really bad about receiving it!!!

Oh and I am waiting for the video to be sent to me. Can't wait!!!

My voice was at it's very best as far as I could feel when i sang!!!! At the end of the song, I felt i gave it ALL. But I could have sung the entire 4.5 minutes straight after if I had to....

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,583Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    CONGRATULATIONS, VICTOR: :) :) :) :) :) :)
    edited March 3
    Today was a great experience for me as a singer performing in a competition. The timing was so crucial. I have learnt that being warmed up is ENOUGH. More will not make it better. I am still waiting for this video to be sent to me......Cannot wait to show you. The audience was on their feet.... LITERALLY. And they were mostly supporters of the other competitors!!! It was a great experience in itself. I enjoyed putting those smiles on those faces. after my singing, I could not move around freely without someone coming up to say how much they enjoyed my "entertainment". I was a bit embarrassed but was thankful for their kind gesture.

Will post that video once I get it!!!! Please god, let Ben send the entire thing to me!!!!!
    edited March 3
    @Vocality
    Vocality said:

@victortang

Still on volume 1 and not looked at the other volumes yet until I am ready, it's great that you have worked through a cold to get your voice ready to go, invaluable advice bit annoying for it to happen before on stage and I guess thats part of being proffessional we all have to deal with those issues from time to time.

George

Hi George, true story. In the 90s, I was a full time musician-singer. I was employed to sing in the 60th birthday of Tommy Hafey, probably one of the greatest athletes Australia has ever glorified. It was an important gig for me. But I had a 39 degree celsius fever. And absolutely NO voice. But I could NOT let him down. So I sang the entire gig using a type of Louie Armstrong voice. He thought was was soulful. But I thought it was devastatingly painful!!!!

The show must go on!!!!

It was physically the most horrible thing I had to do in my life. (And I served the Singaporean Armed forces as an infantry man for 2.5 years!)

I wish I knew what i know about open throat technique and doing all the right stuff for the voice in times of sickness. Well, never too late!

And for you who are reading this, you too are lucky to learn all that you can learn from Ken. This man is the Jesus of Singing (...hahaha especially with all that hair of his!!)
  • SophiaSophia Posts: 1972.0 PRO
    Congratulations, @victortang! It was so interesting following along with your preparations. You really are an example of "the proof is in the singing" for this course!
    @victortang

Congratulations, well done and sure a lot of us here can learn a lot from your experience.

George
    @Vocality If you do not learn anything from my experience, please at least remember this. This video that Ken made, teaching what to do when sick really ROCKS!!!!

I love singing, as you all do, I am sure. But this would be so lonely and meaningless without sharing. Even if it is across the internet and oceans, with people who we may never actually meet.

Iron sharpens iron, one person sharpens another. Great saying derived from the bible I think.

It is now 8:10am and I have been awake since 6am. A bit of cough and sinus blockage and generally unable to speak without sounding like i am unwell. Without the know-hows that Ken has taught, I jus KNOW I could NOT have performed so well yesterday.

I am waiting for a reply from Ben (the agency) to send me a video of my performance!!!

I will give the singing a break today - mainly because I drank beer last night! I don't regret it - it was worth every drop!!!
    @victortang

Yes that's one video want keep in my tool box, don't think it would go down well stepping on stage in front of 50000 fans (dreaming again) sorry guys got a cold the gigs off!!!!. We all need to be Professional whether its a village hall or sell out stadium. People pay hard earned cash watch us perform and it's great there's ways to work through when were sick.

George
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 3942.0 PRO
    edited March 4
    @victortang , nice job, congratulations, and hope you get well soon!

it's not really your fault if they mix you in with all the "senior" school kids. were some of them crying by any chance? ;)

it was interesting to read all of this, and I wonder: would the 15-20 minutes gap between warm-up and performing be the sweet spot for everyone, or is this different for different people/skill levels, and something everyone needs to figure out themselves? I thought Ken said 30 mins after the warmup, you are already cooled down and should really start again for ideal results. if so, the gap would be a very narrow window of 10 or 15 minutes between making and breaking.
    edited March 4
    @Klaus_T Good (2nd) question. I would assume it is an individual thing. I say 20-30 min after volume 3 only because that is exactly what ken said.
    edited March 4
    @sophia @doc_ramadani @Klaus_T @Michael4000 @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Wigs @cwcw @LoneWolfRogue @Vocality @Diego @Andi77 Here is my performance whilst sick, but with very very careful action taken....all thanks to the teaching of Ken :
    Great job, Victor - fantastic performance!
    @victortang

Didn’t notice you had a cold well done great performance.

George
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 3942.0 PRO
    edited March 4
    @victortang , great job, really well done! you're the man
  • cwcwcwcw Posts: 1312.0 PRO
    Very cool, @victortang . Well done, and thanks for sharing. I'll be showing that to my kids tonight. :)
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 6902.0 PRO
    Amazing job @victortang!
    Glad to see you're doing really well, especially while sick!
    Keep it up. You're quite the entertainer!
    edited March 4
    @Vocality
    Vocality said:

@victortang

Didn’t notice you had a cold well done great performance.

George

I KNOW right??!!?? Even if I say so myself!!! Even as I am typing this, I have a lingering cough. I didn't do any exercise yesterday. But I shall be doing my normal Volume 3 today....

I have to say this. As I listened to my own vocal production, I hear that PING in my voice that wasn't there previously. This was especially true in the first song (NEW YORK). It is not even about hitting high notes. The resonance of my voice is (to me) becoming more "balanced". I have a naturally loud voice but this is not about being loud....

I have 2 harmonicas - one $80 and one $5. The $80 plays the same notes as the $5, except with a much more "beautiful" tone. It makes me want to play it. The cheaper one does NOT make me inspired to play. I am thinking that the improved tone of the voice can be compared to this. An upgraded instrument.

• WigsWigs Posts: 1472.0 PRO
    Just caught this thread but haven't watched your video yet. I think you would have given those younger contestants just a bit of jealousy and a ton of inspiration. Good on ya mate!
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Posts: 831Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    edited March 5
    @Gaston_Jauregui I agreee!!! Hahaha....but the good job was in the work done in preparation for this 4+ minutes of performance. I put in a lot for it!!! Worth every drop of sweat, saline solution, tumeric drink,glutathione spray, etc....

Hey and thanks to your endless advice on my singing technique. Every bit came into use!!!!