Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Somebody To Love ... Practices over 4-8 weeks

victortangvictortang Posts: 5932.0 PRO
@highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @doc_ramadani @Diego @cwcw @Klaus_T @Andi77 @Vixen85 @Rick_amateur @IraR @Michael4000 @reallydanny @Sophia @Mysti @Vocality @Wigs ... @LoneWolfRogue

I am simply in love with this song. Why did I never like it before???!!!??? What was wrong with me!?

I woke up this morning with an irrepressible desire to learn this song. So I played it over and over again in my gym for about 2-3 hours (when the only patrons were playing their own music through their own earphones). And then I went home and did a slightly shortened version. This was the second take. The first one failed. I

It has much room for improvement and correction, but I intend to add this one into my repertoire for my future public performances.

Any suggestion/advice?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,469Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Hi,Victor. Sorry but I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing.

I just wanted to say that your voice has much more elasticity (a good thing) than the last one of your demos I randomly sampled. I can hear maturation of a good kind as your voice has gotten more accurate and consistent with a lot less straining.

Good job. Keep up the good work.

Bob
  • victortangvictortang Posts: 5932.0 PRO
    edited March 23
    @highmtn Thanks Bob. Oh yes, I feel more control over what I do, every week. The improvement is "slowing down" if you know what I mean, but it is there nevertheless.

While I was in Singapore last week, I caught up with a couple of army buddies I have not seen for 37 years (!!!!!). We were 18 year old lads, and they reminded me that I was the guy who led all the marching songs and was the loudest in giving marching commands in the entire battalion!!!

I wonder where I got this propensity to sing with a strain from? hahaha

Your advice to sing like i am in a library will forever be my thing. Hard to do...very very hard to do, especially if I want to sing nicely. Someone told me once that it is because my vocal folds are thicker than most people and so I tend to push more air than is required. I don't think so. I think it has always just been a habit.
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 7622.0 PRO
    edited March 23
    Good job!
    This is a great song for improv! Since I know you love to put a lot of soul and improv on songs.

You could do a better job on sustaining those G#4's. I think most of the problem comes from the previous "Anybody find mEE" I think you are closing too much on the EE and that affects your next phrase where you have to reopen for "LUUUHVE". Try to work on the transition so you don't get tired and choke the note off!

Overall good job, the dynamics could do a little fixing. But I think you got the emotion of the song pretty well.
    @highmtn Bob, I wonder if you can explain why my voice is now more "elastic"? I am physically the same me, so it can't be a physiological elasticity.

I think it is the fact that I am putting a lot more (unconscious) effort into opening up my throat, and a lot less tension in muscles that are hindrance to letting the prime muscles do their job. Would I be correct to say that?
    edited March 23
    @Diego I don't think that the "ee" caused the "love" any problem. "Somebody to" has 5 consonants, 5 consonants to potentially close the throat. My "love" issue has a lot to do with my hearing of the foldback speakers versus the actual recording. In short, I moved the microphone way too far for my voice to be picked up. So the "love" sounded really weak.

But you are right about the EE being closed. It is actually the "M" the I need to lighten to allow "Me" to be more of a "May" so that the EE is more opened. I did feel chocked up in the ME, not the LOVE.

Oh, and at 2:03, my "LOVE" was a unstable - because I was actually lost, not knowing exactly what to sing. This was the 2nd time i have ever sung this song, so I will get more familiar with it.
  • MystiMysti Posts: 1452.0 PRO
    edited March 24
    @victortang This was one of their good songs that didn’t get as much attention as their biggest songs. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with it. Regarding tension, you seemed to do much better. There was a little more towards the end, such as when doing “free, Lord.”

Not sure why, but the notification never came for this thread.
  • WigsWigs Posts: 2322.0 PRO
    edited March 24
    Technique wise I think it's all there, the only thing I can suggest is what you will already do and that's just putting the hours in. That was very well suited to you.

@Mysti yeah my notification didn't come through either, it's a glitch that happens every now and then
  • IraRIraR Posts: 52Member, 2.0 PRO
    You've got goals, man! Nice shot at it! I was in high school when this song when it came out in 1976; Queen was very popular among my jazz-band buddies and was often playing in the orchestra-room. I'm sure you've listened to all Ken's commentary on Freddie Mercury as well as covers of Freddie Mercury: Freddie had this tremendous ability to use his voice in different ways, some of which comes from a kind of vocal "flexibility" or "elasticity" he had developed and maintained.
    As to whether these changes in elasticity and flexibility are "physical" or not, or have a physical component: I'm just wondering, since I'm talking to a physical trainer: Can't many of the same questions be asked with regard to many gains in physical flexibility in yoga, stretching, or dance or martial arts, especially when habits and training have led to imbalances in muscle development, and then fascia and memory reinforce old patterns so that motion becomes "stuck?" When I'm working to open my shoulders, or my hips, or trying to get more length in my forward bend, or making my laughable attempt at a bridge, what is the development physically? Isn't it a combination of allowing some over-tight muscles to loosen, relax, and lengthen, activating different types of muscle fiber within them than the contracting muscle fiber, plus strengthening opposing muscle groups which have atrophied or been underdeveloped, plus learning the coordination to relax some muscles and tense others, and then storing that coordination in muscle memory, plus coaxing the fascia to gradually get used to all this over time, so that there is a gradual letting go of adhesions, and embedding it into "fascia memory" so that it doesn't "spring back" into tightness, plus... I mean, are we actually growing longer or "stretchier" muscle fiber or fascia? I don't think that's the case all that much. But we're trying to free the the muscles and tendons and fascia to give a fuller and freer range of motion. Isn't it more kinesthetic than "physical" development? Now, the voice box is much smaller, and you're not going to see much change even kinsethetically, never mind physically, but the training of the various muscles involved, the coordination, letting the tongue relax, coordinating of the breath musculature properly, the soft palate, the embedding of this learning, etc. If this means that the cricothyroid and aritenoid muscles can do their job moving the vocal folds and the mucosa can vibrate well in different areas without being impeded or interrupted, and then the sound can be projected to resonate freely and without impedence through different areas, well, then, you've gained in vocal flexibility, or elasticity of voice.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,808Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Concerning the modifications: I guess that the forums system has a limit on the number of notifications sent out. Since you both ( @Mysti and @Wigs ) are at the end of the list you might have fallen off the table. Doc

Victor, nice job. I love this song.
    edited March 24
    @ira i did say that "I am physically the same me, so it can't be a physiological elasticity." But thanks for reiterating and elaborating. SO yes, I do agree with your explanation of the neuromuscular reality in physical activities.

@highmtn Bob is such an experienced teacher. To me, and for me, he is able to put concepts into my head that converts into huge changes in my singing. Henceforth I asked the question

"I think it is the fact that I am putting a lot more (unconscious) effort into opening up my throat, and a lot less tension in muscles that are hindrance to letting the prime muscles do their job. Would I be correct to say that?

I just didn't want to miss out on some little new knowledge that may help my singing. I was hoping for more of his little gems of wisdom, in addition to the many he had previously so generously bestowed upon me. I am serious.
    edited March 24
    @ira I reread your message. From what you wrote, below quoted, I want to ask you - do you suffer from any lower back pains?

And also, what is your version of the "bridge" (of which yours is supposedly laughable)?

"...to open my shoulders, or my hips, or trying to get more length in my forward bend, or making my laughable attempt at a bridge, what is the development physically? Isn't it a combination of allowing some over-tight muscles to loosen, relax,..."
  • NathJ_2018NathJ_2018 Posts: 1942.0 PRO
    edited March 25
    Well from my point of view you are sounding great and you sound like you are having a really good time singing it so to me it's a winner :) I do love how you can move around while you sing, I'm kind of like avoiding that right now, for I am just beginning but I envy your capacity to move/sing you really look like you are having a blast and you really sounded awesome on my end..... shout out to your daughter, I'm now following her on twitter

the best to you and your family,
    Nath from Canada
    you are having way too much fun on that one.... gonna give it a try..... (for your ears only) :) then you let me know if I should share...... hehe
    edited March 26
    @NathJ_2018 It is true - ALL canadians are nice!!!! :) Thank you Nath!!
    @NathJ_2018 Sorry i incorrectly assumed that you are a Nathan previously. Oooops.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 1,808Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi Victor, yes, you were wrong. He is called Nathalian, no wait, Nash, no wait, maybe russian, Nathalia? - Badaaaaaa, a great applause for Nathalie from Canada who knows how to make german "Spätzle". :smile: - And she also knows how to make bracelets and a lot of other things women like. Doc
    @NathJ_2018 I await your version....:)
  • VocalityVocality Posts: 4702.0 PRO
    @victortang

What’s great about this course is no matter what level your at we all improving, had a listen enjoyed it, not the easiest song to sing and you done really well your definitely improving from previous songs.

Your lyrics flowed smoothly and you able to lean into the sound seamlessly when required.

Great job
    @victortang yup my name is Nathalie and I do a lot of girl stuff and I learned to make german "Spätzle" because of @doc_ramadani :)

Had fun with it last night.... but since all my family members had bleeding ears I'll wait till I am better to record and post. You sure have skills you have some impressive runs in there!
    @Vocality I am feeling More freedom in my "open throat". But i don't know about "seamless". Thanks for your support and encouragement. We all need a bit (or a lot) of those no matter what level.

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Posts: 5312.0 PRO
    very good version, Victor!!! @victortang
    @NathJ_2018 I know all about bleeding ears. In my video, I am singing in my little corner of the house. The family room is an open plan style. Kitchen, dining, sitting room...they are all in the same large "hall", including my little music corner. I used to have a room all to myself just for music. But it is now used for Airbnb (free plug here?). So my son and my wife often say the same line to me, "Are you finished?"

I reckon Somebody To Love would suit a female voice, with good strong chest voice emphasis.

@victortang You are definitely more confident on your second video. I noticed you had a lot less neck tension too. Definitely a keeper for your repertoire. Your improv at 3:08 was a nice touch.

@victortang lol exactly.... keywords here are "strong chest voice"..... I'm not there yet.... but I WILL :)
    You sound a lot more connected to this song compared to bohemian rhapsody. If I heard you perform exactly what you did, I would be able to forgive some of the mistakes because the emotion was palpable. I only got to listen to it quickly last night so I can’t tell you the exact spots that need improving but what you have been told so far sounds like it will put you on the right track.
  • DiegoDiego Posts: 7622.0 PRO
    I'm working on this song again @victortang. It's such a fun song to do. Would't you agree?
    Really puts my chest voice to practice.
    @Diego For some reason, this song makes me feel HAPPY!!!
    And makes ME happy to see you so enthusiastic. :smile:
    @doc_ramadani With enthusiasm, life is STEEL. Without, it is a weak ALLOY. I just made that up...hehehe
    edited March 30
    @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @doc_ramadani @Diego @cwcw @Klaus_T @Andi77 @Vixen85 @Rick_amateur @IraR @Michael4000 @reallydanny @Sophia @Mysti @Vocality @Wigs ... @LoneWolfRogue @NathJ_2018
    Here's my 3rd practise session. This was recorded straight after the 24 exercises in Vol 3. A couple of hiccups. I know I have made some progress in the last few days, but not where I want it yet...

WOW WOW WOW! Dude that was seriously inspiring to watch! I just said in @Diego thread I was gonna add it to my karaoke line up.... but after watching you I realise I’d have to skip half the song! Critique? Again I feel bad for saying anything, to my ears I couldn’t fault the money notes, some of the faster phrases you played catch-up but you maintained excellent breath control. Visually, and this is purely coming from an outsiders perspective that knows nothing of what we are learning, you will be commented on your tongue, there were plenty of times when you hit higher notes with out it out. But! I have also found myself starting to stick it out slightly in my scales.
    Huge round of applause from me 👏🏼
    @Wigs You really like it that much? I did have a couple of bad moments. Hey keep at it wigs! I wanna see you improve in the way you did in the last assignment! The real work is done in the exercises!!!!!
    Wow, Victor, you are growing from recording to recording. Very cool. Doc
    @doc_ramadani Isn't it what this is all about - IMPROVEMENT? You are doing the same doc!
  • cwcwcwcw Posts: 1982.0 PRO
    Very, very cool, Victor. Continued improvement for sure. Way to go!

My only critique is on seeing your Ken Tamplin tongue at times. I love Ken and he can do whatever he wants with his tongue, but literally everyone I show his awesome videos to immediately ask what's wrong with his tongue. It's the literally the first thing they say.

Let me be candid, the extended/lizard tongue thing is very odd and off-putting to many. So guess what they remember...oh, he's the guy that does that weird thing with his tongue, right? They ask that question because none of us - me included - literally knows of another successful singer who does that. That's not to say that there aren't any, but just that we rarely, if ever, see it - certainly not in music videos.

For all your talent, I wouldn't think you'd want to be remembered as that cool sounding Aussie that does that weird tongue thing. Now, having said that, if extending your tongue outside your mouth is natural and required and good for your singing (as with Ken) so be it. Likewise, if you're singing Kiss and you are emulating Gene Simmons, by all means show us your tongue, man! :) Other than that, I'd consider keeping it in your mouth. No offense intended, of course.

Keep up the good work!
    edited April 3
    Thanks buddy! I appreciate what you said. Yes I agree with you. I will try to work on the tongue.

Hey but I can name a very successful singer who does the tongue thing, obviously due to open throat. Adam lambert!
    edited April 10
    I must add. Adam Lambert does the tongue very very rarely. But I have seen it. Im gonna get to work on tonguelessness!!!! hehe....
    He, he...fair enough, mate! And Adam Lambert is an example of why I try very hard not to speak in absolutes, because there is almost always an exception.

Good singing to you, Victor. You'll have this song nailed down very soon. Your progress really is impressive.
    edited April 10
    @Ken Tamplin @highmtn @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @doc_ramadani @Diego @cwcw @Klaus_T @Andi77 @Vixen85 @Rick_amateur @IraR @Michael4000 @reallydanny @Sophia @Mysti @Vocality @Wigs ... @LoneWolfRogue @NathJ_2018

Hi guys, I am considering using this song for Australia's Gt Talent if I get on the show. I am here working carefully on my mixed voice and masked head voice in the notes between approx A4-F5 . Any suggestion/advice? p/s I also tried to work on @cwcw suggestion regarding the tongue.
    Cool, Victor. Sorry I can't help with suggestions for the high notes. I can see that you were working on containing the tongue. :)

My one comment is on your occasional "country yodel" at various points of the song - at the beginning of some words. Take for instance the first chorus. The second "somebody", and then "can" anybody, and then the following "somebody".

I'm just wanting to make you aware that it exists. If it is a stylistic thing that you like, go for it. Understand that for myself, I'm always looking to spot-on match the original. Freddie doesn't "yodel" on that song...that I know of. So it's all about what you intend and/or what your audience expects to hear.

Chris
    edited April 11
    @cwcw Thanks Chris! That yodel is a (bad) habit. I really appreciate you pointing it out. Funny how I just ignore that! I actually don't like the sound of that. Hmmmm....back to the Bat Cave!

I think it is more a habit than a choice. I may keep it or eliminate it.... Will have to think and try and think and try again... Thanks man!
    @victortang I think this is a good song choice for you. I am listening with a critical ear for you.

The pitch is lost a couple of times on the high notes, but you are working on those and will get them soon.

The first time it sounded like ‘own’ was a little short, but after multiple listens it seems okay. Just after that the next couple of ‘somebodys’ you seem to be turning away from the mic while you are mid word.

The phrase going from 1:20 to 1:47 sounds polished. Don’t change a thing there!

Starting at 2:57, each time you sing ‘find me’ I either cannot hear you at all or else I only hear the ‘me.’ It looked like once you did not sing it at all. Perhaps just a tad more volume there would help.

I hope that is helpful to you. It is exciting getting a chance to be on Australia’s Got Talent. I wish you the best on it.
    Thanks @mysti! I shall take time to go through what you wrote here. Gotta go nigh nigh now! ZZZZZZ
    @mysti I understand you like 1:20-1:47. But I find my last note "yeah" lacking power, lacking chest component. But it is something that must happen unconsciously. I will keep working on strengthening the chest component of my high notes.
    Cool @victortang. I am looking forward to hearing your next one.
  • zowmanzowman Posts: 44STREAMING PRO
    Wow. You're demo really inspires me bro. Hope you kill it on AGT.
    For sure he does. I have my fingers crossed, my toes, my hair and even my vocal cords.
    @zowman It's funny that you should use the word "inspiring". When the AGT producer asked me what I would like to achieve out of performing in AGT, I actually said that I hope to be inspiring to others. So, thank you for saying that. Singing in front of an audience, however big, is no world-saver, but we all like to think that we are making some difference in this world.
    edited April 12
    @doc_ramadani Just because they are vocal folds, does not mean that you should fold them or cross them!!!

I didn't hear from AGT yesterday, so i guess it will be early next week. I texted the AGT guy to ask if they will definitely know by friday, because I am about to book a flight to singapore.This is a text message I got on thursday (after the monday phone conversation):

"I've just asked my exec and they're hoping to let everyone know by friday or early next week at the latest. I'll ensure you find out ASAP."

He was very kind to say that last sentence. He did say previously that those who do not get in will not be informed, so it appears he is making an exception for me.

• VocalityVocality Posts: 4702.0 PRO
    @Victorang

Yes nice song and few things for you to work on to get that song to the finished article, fingers crossed with getting through and I can see you really working hard at this song.

Great Job

@Vocality Actually, just letting you know, I am not actually working hard on the song itself. I am working very hard on Vol 2 and 3. Not just hard, but very carefully, trying to be "effortless" even at high notes. Being mindful of vowel modification, and smoothing out my passgio.

But I am trying to iron out any bad habits in the song. There are several.

I practice the song only AFTer a good run of volume 3. Almost straight after. I am also singing 3-4 other "important" songs, to be prepared...
    Hi gang! I am dying of anxiety here! It is now 9:45 am on Thursday, and tomorrow is the so-called last day of what the AGT guy said would be the latest we hear from them. He last said he will let me know ASAP. I phone texted him to ask if he can tell me anything.,,,

He replied immediately. Said "Let me find out for you!"

So now, this very minute, I am nervous. I guess if I get in, i will be even more "nervous". And if I don't, the blessing is that I will have more time to better myself as a singer, for future shows and contests. Both ways I am on top. Both ways, I will be nervous/excited....in a good way.
    Wishing you the best!
  • sagemacgsagemacg Posts: 502.0 PRO
    Damn, Victor, that was a blast! Bravo!
  • Michael4000Michael4000 Posts: 700STREAMING PRO
    I love watching your videos Victor. Again, another really hard song but you did a pretty good job. Some of the high notes you definitely nailed, and some were a bit off pitch. I really like a lot of the Liberties you took in this song making it your own.

Michael
    edited April 20
    This is my 5th video practise for this song. It was sung 20 min after 1 session of Vol 3 and couple of hard songs.... and about 1 hour of tongue exercise and lip rolls (that I do for 1-2 hour first thing at around 8am, to warmup my voice). I think there is a brighter tone in my voice. That is what my wife said. I am not certain. Any suggestion would be greatly valued and appreciated.