Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes/Postmodern Jukebox cover) by coffeecrank

I've been meaning to do this for a long time. I'm starting to get into all these vocal improvs and jazz covers, and this is one hell of a cover originally done by Haley Reinhart & Postmodern Jukebox.

I tried to emulate the style a bit but make the song my own. Did I succeed? You tell me.
https://youtu.be/-9UO8siympc
@doc_ramadani @Diego @Vocality @Sophia @blondiewales @Wigs @cwcw @DogMeat @Raphael_Hussl @BarbieLynn @d1g2w3 @samw2019 @Rick_amateur @omkarpancham @maximgottmer @bonvie56 @Furious_Phil @Chris82 @shining @Maya @LumiMoon @iZak @jimmieYYM @heidianita @NickW

Comments

• shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Well.. I like :love: You defenitely succeeded... the only thing I miss is a bit of "cheeky/sexy dirtyness" in the sound ... but thats just my personal preference.
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Yes.. that might be the reason :) I can only do that when I really feel "save and comfortable" with the song.
  • guzmanguzman 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    Hey @coffeecrank!
    You did a very good job! Congratulations.
    In my opinion, maybe you could work more on changing the melody that seemed a bit repetitive sometimes, thinking mostly that you are improvising this song. It could be good if you go ahead and also reach notes outside that range of notes, some notes below the ones you are using (at some times you did it) and also some higher notes. It really sounded good when you adorned with some low note. That kind of mixture of different parts of the register and also varying the melody will give more dynamism and feeling to the song (it is my personal preferences as well). And I also agree with @shining.
    But overall, great work on this version of the song! Keep up the good work!
  • guzmanguzman 2.0 PRO Posts: 45
    haha yes! I guess it's a matter of time and trust, and a lot of practice, again and again. No workarounds.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    You did pretty good there. Very hard song and i agree that you sometimes held it back. Haley is second to none, so be proud already :smile: . Keep singing it time to time, and you'll feel it more and more.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Yes! Her Creep performance is my top 10 videos in Youtube
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Your pitch was great sounded great. Cool version. And yeah britbritney does make stuff sound bad lol
  • LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    Wow! I think you did a great job! I had not heard this song or heard of Haley Reinhardt before (and now I have a new singer to binge watch on youtube :D ) so I went and listened to her first. I think you've got great tone and smoothness and the jazzy feel. Like others have said I could feel you holding back a bit but improvising is so hard. I am nowhere near even beginning to do that and it seems like something that would take a lot of time and experience to get. I really like your cover, though, and you definitely made it your own.
  • LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    Thanks, @coffeecrank! It is encouraging and inspiring to hear you and others who have been in the program for a while sing!
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    That was just wonderful! Loved it. My only recommendation isn’t about the singing but the recording. Sounded like the vocals were mixed in at a higher volume level than the instruments so maybe work on balancing that out a bit?

Great job!
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I don't listen to much jazz or soul, but I would recognise your cover as a soul/jazz genre right away. Vocally I like how you presented the runs inbetween the phrases, however I would experiment with placing your sound a bit further back while staying in the mask to get a slightly warmer or husky tone ( I know you are still recovering from illness). You are really starting to come into your own now, Bravo!

Lastly, your tree is still up, it's February! 🤣
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Nice and steady job! good work. I'm glad that you did a jazzy song! Keep going. Maxim
  • Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @coffeecrank Nice one! Haley Reinhart is a beast of a singer and definitely a great choice and challenge to cover. Her covers of "Black hole sun" and "Oh! Darling" are just legendary. And this genre suits you very well, too. I agree with the other comments on placement and the mixing of the recording. I think time after time if you get even more freedom with your voice you could do some really cool things with these kinds of songs. And improvising for jazz vocals is just something that needs to be practiced with enough patience and where you need to take your time to check out which scales to use. In this one, for example, if you wanted to add some improvisation parts I would recommend using the melodic minor scale of F. Keep up the good work!
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @coffeecrank Great rendition can hear the jazz coming through in your performance excellent work and you definitely succeeded. Sounds very professional.

Vocality :)
  • bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    @coffeecrank … I loved it! Lana does jazz and plays her voice like a fine instrument!!!! :)
  • heidianitaheidianita 2.0 PRO Posts: 144
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for tagging me 😁 Im not much into jazz and I have never heard the song before. Listened to your version and Haley's. Well.... I liked your version best. To me Haley is overdoing it. your way is more balanced and comfortable to listen to.
    Agree with the mix, though. Get your voice more blended in the music and I will consider to buy your record!