Home Psychology of Singing
Options

Fear of singing

Hey I've been doing the course for over 3 weeks and I'm doing pretty fine but when others listen to me I stop and fear of it. The people I live with don't really support me with that and I fear of others listening to my voice. I've watched every Kens video about the psychology of singing and tried some trips but still I can't overcome my fear... the course is GREAT but I'm embarrassed to do scales or sing while others can listen to me.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    highhopesin1989highhopesin1989 Member Posts: 16
    Just do what I've been doing. I haven't let anyone hear me sing. I go to a private place where no one can hear me. I practice there. Find that place, and when you're confident in your singing, you can sing in front of people.
  • Options
    Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    As @highhopesin1989 mentioned, when you're practicing it's best if you can find a place you can be alone. I used to drive to an empty parking lot and sing in my car. That said, fear of singing is something you're going to want to eventually work towards overcoming. There are a few things you can do to help overcome your fear. One is just to practice consistently as much as you can, the more you practice the more confident you will become in your voices ability to do what you want it to do when you want to do it. But really the best way to overcome the fear is to just sing for other people. Goto Karaoke, ask friends and family if they wouldn't mind listening to you sing them a song or even go busking. It's hard at first but the more you get up there and sing for other people the easier it becomes. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I’d also like to add to the going to karaoke thing, record yourself often. You’ll hear how your getting better and get used to hearing your voice but most of all practice
  • Options
    Gunnar364Gunnar364 2.0 PRO Posts: 26
    Hi!

I know the feeling of being told you suck, it did slow me down for quite a few years, so happy I still never gave up. As for practising scales, you're likely to make many mistakes, since you're using scales to grow your voice. If you feel fearful, try to find a place where you can practice alone, so you don't risk any snide comments, those can be really damaging. I would also advice you to record yourself, as EVERYONE hates their own voice in the beginning. By recording yourself, you can both work on your shortcomings more effectively, and as you get better, you will eventually learn to love with your own voice. Also, please share your progress with the rest of us here, we are all singers, we all know the pain of being told we suck, so we don't do that to one another ;)

Stay strong, and work up your skills and your courage. One day, you will look back and wonder where your fear went, and know that it won't come back. Stay strong and stay true!

Yours,
    Gunnar
  • Options
    MrMilesRMrMilesR 2.0 PRO Posts: 17
    You should be embarrassed it's normal
    You don't have to worry about messing up
    Because you will and every one watching you
    Will mess up worse than you.
    The important thing is moving forward.
    It's a decision you make.

Everything you're scared of Lindsey Stirling
    Went through in public,, here's a great interview where she's talking about that fear.
    https://youtu.be/A_vjVeW0D1Q