Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Feeling Good (Muse cover) by coffeecrank

coffeecrankcoffeecrank 2.0 PRO Posts: 763
https://youtu.be/pHzf0mBV_Tc

What do you guys think about the "megaphone" effect? I was too lazy to reproduce it exactly, so I settled on this.

The thing I like most about this song is insane breath control it takes, really motivates you to keep working on your voice.

@doc_ramadani @Diego @Vocality @Wigs @cwcw @DogMeat @Raphael_Hussl @BarbieLynn @d1g2w3 @Rick_amateur @omkarpancham @maximgottmer @bonvie56 @Furious_Phil @Chris82 @shining @Maya @LumiMoon @iZak @jimmieYYM @heidianita @NickW @HuduVudu @sjonrokz4u @Duoleeva @jaclynser @Michael4000 @Mysti @Adam164

Comments

• d1g2w3d1g2w3 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 465
    Hey @coffeecrank

Ok, as I'm a massive muse fan, I'm going to give you so feedback on how it relates to the original from muse and what I think you can improve on. Also, I know a lot about this song and Matt Bellamy's work (he's on my "He would turn me gay list" :smiley: ) so this comes from my muse heart.

First of all you nail all the notes which is great and you nail the bends in and out of the notes, however, what you can work on which are simple things that would make this a really great cover.
    • Your volume levels are pretty off, seems louder in places when it should be quieter and quieter when it should be louder.
    • The build up to the second verse and then actually, the second verse needs to be more UMPH and powerful. What Matt does in this song is create a crescendo all the way up to the last four bars into the megaphone solo.
    • After the megaphone, you have a hard "mee" rather than a "MEY", there's more ah/uh in there. You also want to hold the note longer.
    • The megaphone needs to be quieter, it's supposed to be a background thing and the baseline needs to be really heard.
    • I honestly miss the "feeling" in this song, I don't know if this was the intention but I get the sound like you're coasting in this song, singing the notes, that last verse should be fireworks and explosions.
    The megaphone needed more distortion but I think it would go fine if the sound is reduced.
    Feel free to contest what I capture as you may have been going for something that I didn't see.

On the Breath control, you are right, the early parts are very soft and controlled, but he does let loose.

Danny
    I think sometimes in this course, we get told about breath control, support and what not and it comes across as if our creativity needs to be controlled. As long as it's safe to put more power and emotion in something, it doesn't mean you're doing the things you're not supposed to do. Just let yourself loose a little because there's no doubt in my mind that you can, I think it's that you don't think you can.

Danny
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I really like this! So much soul in your singing!
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @coffeecrank Nice version, yes parts require more work as mentioned prior but it's good to put your own style to the song.
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    Sounds great to me. I can't think of anything to criticize. Honestly. I also like the megaphone effect, it breaks up the song a bit and makes it more interesting.
  • Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @coffeecrank Good work! I think Danny has already given you some great feed back to work with so there's not so much more to say. But one thing I got for you:

I like a lot some of the sounds you used on the quieter and higher parts that have some vibrato. Those parts I would still like to hear sound even more flowing and easy. For example in the verse with the megaphone sound the part "sleeping peace", don't know exactly what the lyric was but in that phrase I would like the first note to hit the note really spot on like hitting a nail from above and coming almost out of nothing and then gradually leaning more into the sound. The vibrato overall could in the same way become more connected to the air flow and thus sound more easy. Hope this was helpful.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Agree with previous comments. It's a nice cover but missing the last gear on the emotion side. I was waiting when you switch gears and go crazy, but it never happened :smile:
    This song requires to really throw yourself into it. I'm sure you could do that. Good work anyway Lana, and i liked the megaphone effect.
    It requires a lot more support, it sounds to me you are using more breath and tensing up. It's about projecting louder and not singing louder as you are still in control.

It's also coming from behind the note and using that amplifier of an amphitheater to ping the voice off.

Ken talks a lot about it when he's belting.

I find If im nasally, I pinch my nose and try and get it to sound without nasal as pinching the nose won't allow you to.

Danny
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Don´t know how you did it but your "megaphone" effect sounds really cool! :love:

Overall awesome job, very good technique!
    And yes, like I mentioned before and others did here: I also miss your emotions from time to time. This is one of the songs where you could play with different styles of your voice.

Is it possible that you like to have everything under control and when you "let it go" and sing with a lot of emotions instead of 200% perfect ... that you don´t like it anymore because its not your "controlled voice" ?
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    Ok :D
    Hm... well NOW I am curious and would like to listen to it :)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You are getting a really good level of consistency with all your recent demos! I cant remember Ken mentioning it anywhere, but have you thought about maybe the reason you go so nasal when trying to add more power is because you already have quite a forward placement? If you pull it back then your mask might have somewhere to go when you have more oomph. Just a thought.
    @coffeecrank about how long do you spend on a song before you post it, on average?
    edited June 2020
    @coffeecrank wow impressive. I usually have to practice a song for at least a week. I usually have 2-3 songs going at once in various stages, like right now I'm just working out the piano arrangement for one of the songs, haven't even gotten to vocals yet.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    Been working on a song for over 2 months now its a challenging song, want it accurate as possible and hope to have it ready soon!!
  • LumiMoonLumiMoon 2.0 PRO Posts: 165
    I really liked this! I hadn't heard the song before but I went to listen to it first and I think you did a great version. It suits your voice. I thought the megaphone effect worked fine. Your vocals are strong and your vocal control is so good. I think maybe what others have already been mentioned about tapping into the emotion more would add that last bit of awesome.