Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

room that sounds better in the house?

ok this might sound a bit weird but I guess everyone has a room in their house that has better acoustics than the others.... for me it's my bathroom odd enough. I am lucky enough to have a huge bathroom and there is lots of echo in there but is there a way to replicate that anywhere else in the house? I cant always sing in there that's way too odd lol.... i.e. hubby plays in the living room and I sing in the bathroom .... no go LOL any suggestions?

Comments

• Most bathrooms that I have seen have ceramic floors, ceramic walls (some only half of the walls), ceramic tub enclosure, and ceramic, or formica surfaces for the countertops.
    Basically everything in a bathroom is a hard reflective surface so the sound bounces continuously.
    I don't know of any other room in a house that is built the same way. If you have a spacious basement you might be able to create something, but other than that, the bathroom has the most reflective surfaces.
    Some stairwells have good acoustics because the ceilings are usually high.

I prefer to have a "dead room" to sing in so I can get a nice warm tone, and hear everything in my voice. That just means that there is no reflective sound what so ever. carpeted walls, floors, and acoustic tiled ceilings.

Laundry room might be an option.

Peace, Tony
  • NathJ_2018NathJ_2018 2.0 PRO Posts: 241
    edited October 2018
    I hear you on that but my laundry room is my 2nd bathroom lol
    seriously, I'm looking at a way to convert the "under stairs" space as a mic room but not sure how to go about it... me and hubby are arguing about it cause he says it's too small but I kind of think it would work.... we'll see lol
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    You could always sound treat it somewhat. (on a budget)
    Maybe start with stapling carpet to the surfaces, and/or mover's blankets.
    Another possibility are those interlocking foam squares...
    If you want to go one step farther, you can buy a stack or two of those acoustic treatment tiles to go on top of the carpet/blanket coverings. (Get them online for cheap from "Wish")

That'll get you pretty close to where you want to be, and give you a decent recording room as well.

Also, I would advise that you get an inexpensive "Recording in session" light for outside of the door, because its a guarantee that when you are 75% done the best take of your life, someone will just open the door and start talking :rage:
  • NathJ_2018NathJ_2018 2.0 PRO Posts: 241
    Sounds like a plan, gonna have to look the boards up and I so completely agree with your last part, I'm already getting that, that is why I got into the habit of recording only when I'm home alone, but then again the dang phone will ring lol

Kind regards
    The struggle is real... lol
  • @Furious_Phil You aren't kidding about the recording light, and ruined great takes.

Yes, the struggle is real.

Peace
    Well, the "Furious Phil" moniker is not just because I am a George Lynch fan, it also comes from a lack of studio time, and allot of disruptions when I finally eek out some time to try and remember how my setup works :triumph:
  • seasiren74seasiren74 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Hi I read the above.. sorry if this is redundant.. I am on the third floor of an older house so as you can imagine not very sound proof. Even just for practicing they can hear me loud and clear outside and through the floors. I have a pretty tight budget but I welcome and info. The room is large enough that I can divide it. Someone recommended that pink foam that is rigid and making a small room but I don’t see how that would work well. Do you recxomend just hanging blankets? I have the floor, a divider (to make room smaller) and a door to cover. I would love suggestions. And area about 9’ wide and I can make it as long as I wish I figured maybe 7’? Or 6’ I have heard the tiles wouldn’t work well but anyone that has a room like this I would love to hear from you. I feel like I have to restrain my voice for fear of being heard and I don’t want to do that. Thanks Pam
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Carpet, egg-carton foam mattresses, things like that help a little, but they can still hear you. You kind of need to be somewhere that other people aren't. Or be able to just sing. Building boxes to practice in, you might as well just put foam or carpet all around a closet. But you need light and air. But in a closet, you could (if you have any $ to use) use headphones plugged into a mic mixer, and a mic. Play a portable mp3 or iphone, into the headphones with the mic also feeding the headphones.

It might be easier to just go to a vacant school room, room in an office building that is empty, an unused room in a church, anyplace that you could be to sing without interference. Perhaps a basement. An attic. A university. A warehouse. A barn. An empty parking lot, in a vehicle. Where you are now, but just with some kind of schedule that works or an enclosure that mutes the sound.

Everybody has this same issue.