Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Mic reverb effect questions

XHellChrisXHellChris Posts: 97Pro
Should I turn on the reverb for vocals during a band practice session in a jamming studio? If yes , how much of a reverb should I use? Any other settings or effects I should try too? Thanks!

Comments

• blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 341Pro
    So it's rehearsal? Yes, you'll usually want reverb.

How much depends on a lot of things, but when the vocals sound a bit too washed out, that's when it's too much.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Posts: 2,436Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management
    Hi @XHellChris,

I think that this is also a matter of personal taste. I prefer a short slap back delay to give the voice a little space to sit in. Reverb has sometimes the problem to smear up the sound a little bit. When I do recordings I prefer a dry sound without any effects.

Doc
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Posts: 1,304Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO
    If you do use reverb, make sure you give it some pre-delay, so the initial part of the vocal is relatively unaffected, and the trail is affected. Makes the vocals more defined in the mix.
    Typically, I use a bit of delay with pre-delay to thicken it up, and I leave the reverb for the backup vocals to give them the illusion of distance in the mix.
    If you have a stereo PA, you can get more creative with this by panning the lead vocals 25% L and right, and the backup vocal further left or right or further on just one side.
    Gives you an overall bigger sound :+1: