Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Critique on high register song

AdrianDAdrianD Posts: 75Pro, 2.0 PRO
Hello,

My band and I are covering the song "Anthem" by Rush,  it is a tune that is definitely higher in my register to sing.  Sometimes I find its hit or miss if I can get through the whole thing comfortably and hit all the high notes.  I did a rough take of my vocals and slapped them on top of an instrumental for the song I found on youtube.  At this point in time I sing it mostly "clean" but I would eventually like to get it more "dirty" sounding.   Any tips on what I can fix would be much appreciated!  :)

-Adrian

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4ntecvzz0b7xot/anthem to KTVA.mp3

Comments

• AdrianDAdrianD Posts: 75Pro, 2.0 PRO
    Also, any tips on how I / if could get better tone?  It kinda sounds light and almost comedic when I sing that high.. I was thinking I'll start experimenting more with distortion to make it sound more "rock" oriented. 
    edited September 2013

Ok cool, I appreciate your honesty.   I have been doing KTVA since mid January, I have had no singing experience prior to this program.  I was doing volume 2 since April and this week decided to switch to Volume 3.    I have not worked on my head voice very much, More so my high mixed voice, but not just pure head voice.

Perhaps if I focus strictly on head voice my tone will improve with time?

Also, with Limelight that song is definitely in a more "comfortable area" which I don't have too many issues with.  I just wanted to get more critique on singing a song that was in my "range heights".  Maybe i am not ready for a song this high in my range yet?
    @cgreen

Cool, I will record something in the next couple days!