Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

New divas, present yourselves!

TrineTrine Posts: 269Moderator, Enrolled
edited April 2014 in DIVAS

It's been a while since anybody posted in here. Speak up, Divas! We'd love to hear from you. Any progress, perhaps setbacks or whatever you want to share. Let us hear from you!!

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey everyone,

I just bought the first volume last week.  I've been a professional singer for 30 years.  Closing in on my 50th birthday.  Losing muscle strength, range, and developed a lot of bad habits.  Finally came to the realization that I need help!!! LOL. 

So far, I have really found this training worth every penny,  I needed this soooo bad. 
    I live locally.  Plan to work with the plan then arrange a one-on-one session.  I need help with a couple of songs in particular. Can't wait till I'm there!

Jenn
  • Hey all!
    I'm new, I just bought KTVA yesterday.
    I have been taking singing lessons for two years but I'm ready to mix it up and kick myself into orbit.

I love singing anything, really. On a blues kick, right now.
  • tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Posts: 133Moderator, Pro

Hi Ladies, I love hearing from you all, such inspirational stories and there is definitely some experienced vocalists among us!

Divas - Perhaps Dynamic, Intellectual, Vocal And Sassy? haha I don't know ladies, lets get creative!

Good singing to you

Tina

• Hello Divas.
    For your information I am currently working on volume 3. I mainly work on the sliders for the moment. Also I've found that alternating with the Dudes workouts is very beneficial for my low notes and my mid chest.
    I had an epiphany with the open throat technique , my voice is now producing a sound.... nice and clear and this effortlessly.

My head voice has grown tremendously on the other hand my chest should improve and become stronger.

I am beginning to understand what glottal compression is all about, but I feel that my voice needs to strengthen  a bit more before trying this.

I've been feeling sad latetly, so I sing the blues.

I wish you a lovely day full of inspiration and good music.

• TrineTrine Posts: 269Moderator, Enrolled
    Hi all girls!
    I haven't been in here for quite a while. It is so great to see so many new divas in the forum! I have to take a round on and see the videos some of you posted and other stuff that is here.
  • Joyce Posts: 126Pro
    April 2014 edited April 2014 Flag0
    "Hello, I have introduced myself in another section, (I always struggle to find my way in forums!.)"

I hope you are still here, Joyce! I see your post was 3 years ago. I just read it and thought, "I want to sing jazz too"! Actually, I'm a little unpredictable, I guess, when it comes to music. I sometimes fall in love with a different genre every week! I love everything. But jazz is at the top of my list now! I hope to put together a small jazz group this year and be playing local gigs as soon as I can!

I've been really enjoying creating a large setlist of songs I want to learn. There are so many. I think you might enjoy looking up Melody Gardot. I think she is wonderful. I just love her beautiful style. I was able to get some of her backing tracks to add to my setlist. However, both of the songs I added include a small section of scat which is a bit of a bug a boo for me. How can I ever hope to do jazz and not learn to do at least some simple scat???? I have to do it! Times like that I wish I could channel Ella Fitzgerald, a genius with scatting. I just want to learn how to be somewhat cool!
  • JoyceJoyce Posts: 128Pro
    Hello everyone, of course I'm still here!!!
    Who cares about age!!! Let's sing and continue to learn.

I'm currently working on the Building Head Voice program (Pro packs). My voice changed again and grew. When you finish Volumes 1. 2 and 3 you have to continue with the Building Head voice course, it's essential if you want to sing like a pro.

Yes @Cherie , I still love jazz, but I tried some rock songs too. And I started to tackle, Mariah Carey, Beyonce songs, woaw!!! Hard songs but so rewarding...

• CherieCherie Posts: 78Pro
    Hi Joyce! I am so anxious to progress through the 3 volumes and onward but I know I have lots of basics to work on now. I enjoy reading the posts of fellow KTVA singers who have been working through the volumes for a few years! Every day I tell myself, "Just be patient and build up a strong foundation!" Probably my most sincere desire since I first decided to become a singer would be the ability to conquer really BIG songs. I really like the feeling of singing high and big & loud but unless I want to limit myself to singing alone in a forest I need to develop a voice that sounds good!
    edited April 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello, I have introduced myself in another section, (I always struggle to find my way in forums!.)

I am from the South of France. I started to take singind lessons 4 years ago, did not know I could sing, and it came as a total surprise (good one). I was not satisfied with my teacher so made some research and found Ken Tamplin and here I am. I am currently training on Volume 2, and found the scales to be super high but I like it because I want to discover what my voice is capable of. I like to sing jazz especially swing and scat BUT I also love blues, pop, soul R and B. I have not tried to perform heavy metal or hard rock tunes but I am open to all styles including classical.
    The singers that I admire the most so far are: Eva Cassidy and the Italian singer Giorgia (would LOVE to sing like them!!!!!!). But after 4 years of trying to sing like other singers I thought that I might try to find my own style.
    I am 51 but I feel like a teenager, (I have a 20 years'old son !). I'm learning the play the guitar but GOSH it's hardddd.
    So far the main difficulty I have encountered in my learning to sing is support and breathing, I am not able to control my air and it means that my notes are sometimes unpredictable.
    I wish you all a great day, I am glad I found this community.
    J
  • ChriscelloChriscello Posts: 14Pro
    edited May 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I'm from Texas, USA. I tried KTVA briefly once before, but had to stop after getting sick; I lost all my hard work. This time I'm finally able to stick to it. I have decided to master every exercise before continuing on. I play the cello, and some other instruments. I love R & B, jazz, rock, pop, and hybrid styles. 

I have some frustrations, but that is to be expected as a beginner. I am currently on Volume 1.

Christine
  • Hi ladies!
    I'm from Maryland, USA.
    I'm a bass player, and needed to learn to be the best backup singer I can be (while playing bass- which is hard).  So here I am, on volume 1- I'm about 3 weeks into it, I've been doing the workouts 6 days a week and I'm already hearing major improvement.  
    I think when you sing EVERY DAY- you really learn about your voice, just going through the workouts- where the sound is coming from and how to manipulate it.  I'd never done a disciplined program like this before.  
    Anyway- cheers!  

Parker
  • LGsingLGsing Posts: 59Pro
    edited July 2014 Vote Up0Vote Down

Hi everyone. Just like Joyce, some of you may already know a thing or two about me and have seen the 2 videos I have shared with you all.

My name is Laura.

I have never been trained before, ever.

But all that is about to change.

• Hello Divas.

I just bought the course yesterday and I am looking forward to getting started.   I am a New Yorker living the dream in Australia.  I enjoy singing when nobody can hear me, but plan to change that once I get started with the lessons.  I feel for my neighbours!!! 

• Hello my fellow divas.  I am Tina from Ohio and just bought the course a few days ago. I have been singing all of my life classically trained in college. Currently, I am singing with a local cover band everything from rock, pop, country from 80's to current. I would find myself getting lazy in my technique so I knew I needed some coaching and then I ran across Ken's channel.

Thought I would stop by and say hello and hopefully get to know some of you! 

• ChaCha Posts: 2Member
    Hi I'm Cha I'm new to the forum..I was getting to a point where I was thinking about quitting singing.. I thought I was getting old maybe my voice was changing due to peri menopause ..I didn't like how I sang anymore maybe because of all the stress from running a band and a business I forgot what it was to love to just sing..well I came across Ken's site and decided to take a leap of faith and bought his downloadable program about 4 weeks ago..this last sat June 11 was the true test to see if it works, I sang very well power and pitch wise even though I had a cold..this has renewed my faith in myself and in the power of the universe that when you seek something it will come. In this case, Ken came to my rescue. I feel empowered and ready to take on more ..this is a game changer for me..
  • CherieCherie Posts: 78Pro
    edited May 2 Vote Up0Vote Down
    >.......Hi, I'm Cha, I'm new to the forum..I was getting to a point where I was thinking about quitting singing.. I thought I was getting old maybe my voice was changing due to peri menopause...."<

Hi Cha!
    I'm not "young" (in human years) either! I am happy to see your introduction. I am different from you in that I am much, much less experienced in the music business and singing too. I just began 7+ years ago but I am so excited to find this program and look forward to the possibilities growing my voice!

I started out almost 5 yrs ago in what has turned out to be an extremely popular local Fleetwood Mac Tribute band. It's been a wonderful beginning learning experience. I am the backup singer. It is kind of funny but I have learned so much being able to witness the, apparently common Drama, that happens in bands, this being my first one! I have survived all of crisis and drama & am still in the band! I've seen three other back-up singers come and go and several other members! My biggest problem with that band has been that I guess I look more like Stevie Nicks than the lead singer (who, BTW, is an incredible, experienced singer and performer) but public comments about my likeness were almost the kiss of death for me a few times!

That movie, 20 Feet From Stardom, has been such a relatable truth for me. I have wanted so much to be a lead singer! In the Tribute band, I know I will never, ever get closer to the front of the stage even as a "Christine McVie" character which is very understandable unless I dye my hair and cut it off!

This KTVA program is giving me lots of hope that maybe I'll be able to go a different route and do something on my own. My ultimate goal: I want to sing well....entire songs!
    @Cherie , as it said in this forum, your voice will grow beyond your expectations if you stick to the lessons given here.
    Believe me, it's all worth it.

As far as I am concerned it took me 3 years to discover and build my foundation and it's far from finished, I still have to work! But when I think that I can sing now, some Natalie Cole stuff or Eva Cassidy, woaw!! what an achievement!!
    Cheers