Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Which one of these are the proper way to sing?

Hi! Been doing the KTVA vol 1 off and on since I bought it and a question popped up in my head. Normally I sing through my mouth, and thereby I don't allow for any air to go up in my nasal area or out of the nose. Is this correct? Or should I consider singing through the nose as well? It sounds a bit nasal/wrong to me tbh. thanks!

Comments

• TrineTrine Posts: 269Moderator, Enrolled

Hi!

You are right. I would suggest that you sing as little as possible through the nasal area. If we have a tendency to become nasal (like I have), it will often happen as we go higher up the scales. What we can do to avoid this is to lift the soft palate. Ken told me this in a Skype lesson, and it made me go back to the earlier lessons, find the mirror and look at my soft palate rising, so I was sure I was doing it right.

Trine

• ZerathiosZerathios Posts: 18Enrolled, 2.0 PRO
    So I'm not totally crazy for thinking about this then :) I will try to focus on raising the palate more then when reaching for those higher notes.