Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

How to sing lower

juncheegirljuncheegirl Posts: 29Pro
Hi KTVA, 

Just wondering how to sing lower? No problem singing higher, but trouble going lower... =(

Cheers, 
Claudia

Comments

• 0 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,704Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

Claudia,

Like learning to sing higher, you have to do exercises that stretch you in that direction.  So, we frequently do scales that take us higher, and our muscles learn to build strength to stretch the cords and take our range up.

Going lower is the opposite, in that we have to loosen our cords. They can only go so loose before they just flap and don't really hold a tone.  But the fact is, that we haven't built up the coordination to go lower than we are used to.  We can learn to better hold a true tone lower than we have done in the past.  Sometimes it requires lowering the larynx, or pursing the lips to get a lower pitch and a lower tone, but it mostly comes down to the tension on the cords.

The length of the cords are also a determining factor.  Like a Bass guitar, a Long-scale bass has a capability of sustaining a note with a lower tone.  Even a bass guitar starts to flap if the string is too loose.

The deepest-voiced male singers I have known had ENORMOUS NECKS.  Their adam's apples were the size of my fist.  The diameter of their trachea was huge.  The length of their vocal cords, therefore, were like the long-scale bass guitar.  I imagine the vocal cords themselves were a larger diameter.  Females have a smaller larynx than males, and thus shorter vocal cords, as a rule.  The laws of physics come into play here on what our limitations may be. 

Baritones can hit lower notes than Tenors, as a rule.  A baritone can train to sing well into the tenor or even soprano range.  It's hard for a tenor to train down to the lower baritone or bass notes.

We CAN, however, train ourselves to sustain better-quality notes down at the bottom of our range.

We lower the larynx, extend the lips, and work strong breath support.  We often talk about the need to support a lot when we sing high.  We also need added support when we start getting Lower.  We may need our open throat to be a bit wider.  We may need to be more careful with the position of our tongue and jaw. 

Some DIVAS find that training with the DUDES workouts is better for them.  Some DUDES find the working out on the DIVAS audios is appropriate for them.  I myself, like to use both, depending on how my progress is going, what I want to work on, etc.   So you may find that doing the Dudes workouts is helpful for you.

Oh, Yeah.  And one more thing I was going to mention here.  We've had dudes AND divas here that did not realize that they were ALWAYS singing in their head voice and we had to help them get into their true chest voice.  The opposite has also happened, where we had students who had the hardest time getting beyond chest voice at all.  So let's also be sure that any of these scenarios are not what is going on.

I hope this helps you to get things sorted out.  Don't hesitate to send a demo if you need some help or advice.

Bob