Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

female tenors

LGsingLGsing Posts: 59
I heard about some loow alto voice types call themselves female tenors.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is an interesting topic. While it is conceivable that some females have the natural range of a tenor, I find it harder to believe they have the same timbre. The tenor voice and all subcategories each have their own signature tone. Because of this, the definition of tenor should inherently be that of a male voice because those are the archetypes on which it was built. There may be a few women with deeper voices that naturally sound like a male tenor but I'm inclined to believe they are few and far between. Side note, there is an old classmate on my Facebook page that often calls herself a tenor and caps her range around C5 (at least, that's the highest I've ever heard her sing in her demos, and it was falsetto Sam Smith stuff to boot). More likely, she and other "female tenors" just suffer from improper vocal training. Even then, I would not call them tenors because of the completely different tone. They're just limiting themselves to singing songs their limited understanding of support allows. Similar to a male tenor singing Red Hot Chili Peppers songs. I use terms of vocal fachs such as bass, baritone, tenor, alto, and soprano to define vocal timbres as opposed to range, because so many things can affect range. However, I'm by no means any sort of authority on this.

I do know that in the context of bar life, guys should be wary of extremely deep voiced women. Otherwise, you may get a surprise for which you are not quite ready.
  • We have a lady tenor who often is on the vocal team at my church. 

She doesn't sound to me like any male tenor that I've heard.  To me, she sounds like an alto that can sing lower in chest voice than the other altos. She also can go about as high as any of the altos.  She just has a broader range than the regular altos.

She has a very good voice and can do very dramatic renditions of songs.

Bob