Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Sam Cooke the great link ?

So I was checking out the faithfully tutorial and Ken mentioned how much of an influence Sam Cooke was on Steve Perry. So I looked him up and checked out a few of his songs and WOW!! This guys licks, ennounciation and melodies are littered throughout a lot of the great singers from Soul, Rnb and even hard rock and metal. Probably about 90 percent of the stuff that really appeals to me as a student of singing.

Comments

• ragnarragnar Posts: 410Pro
    edited June 2015
    Yeah Sam Cooke is amazing. Check out Jackie Wilson if you want your mind blown further:

One of his big hits

This slow jam is a real vocal tour de force:

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,464Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
  • JosephJoseph Posts: 260Pro
    As far as im concerned it all started with Sam Cooke.
    But dont forget about "Sam and Dave"

Sam Moore (of sam and dave) is still singing

• blondiewalesblondiewales Posts: 255Pro
    Both Sam Cooke and Otis Redding could lay down a stellar vocal line. Probably a cliche, but "A Change Gonna Come" is easily my favorite.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,464Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    That's cool in the first Sam & Dave clip where they're using Booker T and the MG's as the backup band.  I believe that's a young Steve Cropper on guitar and possibly Donald (duck) Dunn on bass, who were later in the Blues brothers band, not to mention Booker on keys and Al Jackson Jr, on drums, all of whom were the house musicians at Stax records, and played on many hit records as un-named sidemen.

These vocalists we're talking about here, not the least of whom was Sam Cooke, were incredible artists, and are still imitated to this day.  

In that last verse of When Something is Wrong With My Baby...  That's what singing is all about.