Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Help

glakeglake Posts: 3Pro
Hi. I just started taking the KTVA singing course and I have to say it really helps a lot and I have a question on singing. For some reason when I do the vocal exercises in volume 1 and practice singing a song my voice starts to sound a little hoarse. I have good posture and I'm singing from the diaphragm. Is it cause I need to drink more water or is it the songs I'm singing? My voice also starts to sound hoarse towards the end of the exercises to.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,314Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    @glake,

We would have to hear an example of you doing the exercises when you are getting hoarse.

Hoarse isn't good. You may be doing the exercises a little too hard, with too much air, or any of a number of things. You should not strain.

It will take you a while to get your voice conditioned to the exercises, and to implement proper breath control. You may need to cut back the air some, as well.

I don't know the songs you are singing, but it will take a while before you have progressed enough and put in enough time for your voice to actually grow before you will be able to implement the techniques properly into singing a song.

This is a long-term journey you are beginning. Your voice will continue to grow for as long as you keep doing the exercises and following the instructions of the course. Some growth will happen relatively quickly. Some will take months and even years to fully develop. That's really awesome news, because you can look forward to great improvements in your voice as your voice develops over time.

Send in a video if you can, or at least an audio recording of what is happening with your voice. We can go from there.

Put it in this thread so we can reference what you say is happening.

Bob
  • glakeglake Posts: 3Pro
    My voice will sometimes crack to towards the end of the exercises. Mostly when I get to the EE vowel exercise.
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,314Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    EE is harder for many students. Remember that it is wider horizontally, but not as tall in the mouth or the back of the throat as AH. Your jaw won't be as low on EE, and your tongue will be a little higher.

Push down on your diaphragm as you sing higher, to hold back the air and reduce the volume some. Smile and raise your cheeks.

Do your best to keep the back of the throat open.

It may take you a little while longer to get used to the EE. It will come for you.

Bob