Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Microphone comparison.

Hey guys. Just wanted to know how different mics of different price ranges compare up against each other.
I currently have a brand-less condenser mic that picks up a ton of static and ambient noise from a wharfedale audio mixer. Not a really good setup is it.
So, how would something like a $100 AT2020 or CAD GXL2200 compare up against a $500 MXL Genesis or anything beyond that range?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,697Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    I can't really speak to those models of mic, because I haven't used them.

I have an AT4050 that sounds pretty good, and an AKG C1000s that isn't bad. I recommend that you try to hear the mics with your own ears at a music store and compare.

Bob
  • It's better to plug in your microphone directly to the audio interface (it needs to have a mic-pre with phantom power +48V) - you will get much less noise and more clarity. AT2020 + Behringer U-Phoria UM2 will be enough for getting nice recording quality of your voice :wink: