Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

"Two beds & A Coffee Machine" - Vocal Demonstration

jayjay Posts: 32Enrolled
hi all,

I "found" my softer voice today :-)

I've just uploaded this file https://www.box.com/s/15981859aea2c70dcb5c

please take a listen and let me know what you think

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Posts: 1,278Moderator, Enrolled
    Nice work!  Its tough to sing quietly in that range, and yet still keep a full tone.  A great example of mid voice.  Is that an original tune?
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,515Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

Nice work, Jay!

Very pleasant to listen to.

Bob

• jayjay Posts: 32Enrolled
    Hey Scott @sspatrick

Thanks for the comment, yeah I've always been the full out singer and use to much breath and dry out the chords kinda singer, I didn't know this song very well just that it was pitched mid voice and soft, so thought I'd try it and I'm reasonably happy with the results.

Unfortunately i cant claim this track - it's a Savage Garden album track 

• jayjay Posts: 32Enrolled
    Hi Bob @highmtn ;

thank you very much, its pretty simple but I think it works

PS - I'm very curious to here you do a sample of "Open Arms" I know its one of your practice tunes :-)
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 14,515Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro

Jay,

I don't want to horrify the world with me doing Open Arms.  I have several tunes that are a real stretch for me. That's why I use them for practice/drill...  I do want to get to the point where I perform it publicly, but I don't think I'm there yet.  The notes are comfortable for me, but I'm not so sure about the tone. 

I actually haven't had a chance to record myself since starting KTVA.  I perform every week, so I can assure you, I have improved and people notice since starting KTVA.  I have to find some time ( I have a full-time-plus day job, and gig two to three times a week) to do some recording, first of all so I can critique myself, and secondly so I can post something for everybody here to take their best shot at me.  ;^)

Here's a list of some of the songs I like to sing when there's nobody listening...

Open Arms

Waiting for a Girl Like You

We Are the Champions

Boys of Summer

Desperado

These tunes include High A's, B's, C's, and even a D or so.  I think We are the Champions has a high E-flat.. Try these songs out in the original key, and you'll see what I mean.  Once you get into this range you're starting to get into the money notes, but the tone is everything!

I'll get something together in between marathons.

Bob

bob, i think you are being too modest:)
    @Jay

you do the Savage Garden tunes very well.  Good Work!
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Posts: 658Member, Enrolled
    Wow... this is an awesome song! O_O Awesome demo as well! I totally loved it :)! This is a good example of "Range isn't all that makes a good singer!"