Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Harmonies

Hey, So I am currently working on a cover cd for my family for Christmas, and something ive struggled with especially over the last year while trying to learn it (long before I started with KTVA) is doing harmonies, its not so much the singing a different melody alongside another, or even blending, but where I find I struggle is finding the right notes for the harmony, Especially with minor chord progressions. I looked at one of Kens videos on youtube in regards to harmonies/blending, but I am still having problems. I have one song recorded and I have listened to it over and over, and while I sort of came up with a melody to add as a harmony, its far from perfect. I'm kind of looking for some suggestions on how to mentally prep for those notes so I dont have to pause recording, take the original vocals, do an arpeggio and then find a note that works. (as when I play on stage and am doing harmonies for one of the other band mates songs I definitely will not have time to do that. ) I looked at some other youtube videos but they tell you what to sing for the harmony to a 2 note keyboard tune. which really doesn't help me in a practical sense. Just looking for what other people do to sing harmony.

Thanks
Brandan

Comments

• 0 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,879Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    I normally sing a 3rd or a 5th above the melody. You don't have to do the exact melody at those intervals. You can hit the root note and stay there for a while, then do thirds or fifths. It's kind of up to you.

I tend to "hear" harmonies when someone is singing or a recording is playing. You can train your ear to hear those intervals, once you learn them.