Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Does CPAP change or ruin the voice?

In 1998 I began using a CPAP machine at a fairly high air flow rate. I used it religiously up until a few months ago after losing 80 pounds and getting myself in shape.

What I'm wondering is whether or not anyone here knows if using a CPAP machine can "harm" how well I used to sing. There was a time when I could sing very well (and fairly high for a guy).

I'm thinking because of my CPAP use, my high end (and some of my middle range) petered out. Is this possible? If so, is it possible to get it back now that I'm off my CPAP machine?

I appreciate anyone's solid help here.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I can't answer that, because I don't use one. I do know a singer who used one for a short time, and it doesn't seem to have affected them. Maybe others here have used one and know from experience one way or another.

Whether it does or doesn't affect the voice, it's likely that any negative effects can be rehabilitated. Many vocal issues just require proper training and use of the voice to get you back in shape.